Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Curious on Your Thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Curious on Your Thoughts? Reply with quote

In building a team, all the pieces of the puzzle . Should one side of the ball be addressed almost exclusively at the cost of the other.. Seems to me you should have one side be as great as possible. Maybe build an offense to score 30-35 points a game and try to just have shootout games.
Put all your resources to the offense --free agents and draft choices .. Fill out the defense with the leftovers and hope for the best.. or.. reverse the process and build the great defense first.
I guess my question is --is it btter to have an A unit and maybe a D+,C- unit.. or two c+, B- units ..
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be persuaded otherwise, but if those are my choices (with no choice to build both to be A+ units at the same time) then I would go for the A/A+ offense and the C/C+ defense.

Yes, a great defense can help out the offense. So I can be persuaded the other way. But for me, you cannot win if you cannot score. So this leaves me with a tip (just barely) towards the offense.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course the ultimate goal is two A units but let's say starting from two D+ units ,, do you try to build both simultaneosly or do you concentrate on one side of the ball first--then the other.
DCRED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go with either of those methods honestly. If I had to pick I would go with Offense in today's NFL, but that occasionally would backfire too because the team is not always going to execute as planned.
If you make me choose I would say A unit Offense though.

I would take certain positions on both sides of the ball and prioritize them, not all O or D. Then hope to eventually fill in the bare spots after I knew the most important were filled.

For Instance, and assuming you had to do this all at once :

1. QB
2. O-line.
3. D-line.
4. WR
5. LB
6. CB
7. RB
8. S
9. TE
10. K/P

Something like that, but special players could make a position move up or down a slot if they really were a difference- maker.

So what I'm getting at is I would take an "A unit" QB and Oline, but not necessarily the entire O. Some of those "A unit" players would have to be on the other side of the ball too.

But you brought up an interesting scenario. A friend of mine used to say that if he had a K that could kick 90+ yards he would just build a Monster D (with starter skills at depth too) and kick the ball every single possession immediately lol. Not possible but amusing

Laughing
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you build up the D as best you can first without ignoring the OL.

The foundation of the game happens on the line. And I dont think a team should go addressing weapons without attending to the line. Unless there is another Luck or Peyton on the board. But even the Colts were picking early enough to get OL help with a TE.

Im just a fan of the way the ravens have done it over the years. They had the mighty D. Then get your QB, and add extra OLmen like Oher, Then grab your Rice, Bolden, Smith and all. And after the years of building it, When Ray and Ed begin to retire. Everything else is ready with vets around those youth spots to help pick up slack while the offense is firing away.

Not every team can be as lucky as the Cowboys and build the O. Then magically have defensive secondary pieces fall in their lap at the precise time needed.

Trinidad: Where you can play dodgeball, jump off a diving board, and call a team the Redskins without the Communist Left sayin otherwise.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DCred except I'd have S ahead of RB. Rbs can be found late as we have found out. Having 1 top notch safety is just as important as having 1 top notch cb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: