Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

new cb addition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
DVD is tall (6'0) but light (180). He is allergic to tackling. So much to that he was taken out of games in college ( the U) because their run defense was getting gashed and he is a liability.

Do I think a HOF CB for a coordinator and an all-pro S/CB for a position coach can coach him up? Yep. Do I think he will be anything other than a 4th CB in this league? Nope.

And he is still PS eligible.

I think he'd be a good PS player til next training camp when he learns our system more and bulks up.
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
jebrick wrote:
DVD is tall (6'0) but light (180). He is allergic to tackling. So much to that he was taken out of games in college ( the U) because their run defense was getting gashed and he is a liability.

Do I think a HOF CB for a coordinator and an all-pro S/CB for a position coach can coach him up? Yep. Do I think he will be anything other than a 4th CB in this league? Nope.

And he is still PS eligible.

I think he'd be a good PS player til next training camp when he learns our system more and bulks up.

180 is bulked up for him Razz

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a camp cut FA signing, the guy just oozes that dirty french word.

Potenital.

Most likely gone as soon as the regulars are healthy, but it's not a bad roll of the dice.

I liked the other Raider cut, Chekwa, just as much or more coming out. Seem like talented cuts early on in their careers. McKenzie is certainly putting his stamp on that roster.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
dante9876

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:

Potenital.

Most likely gone as soon as the regulars are healthy, but it's not a bad roll of the dice.

I liked the other Raider cut, Chekwa, just as much or more coming out. Seem like talented cuts early on in their careers. McKenzie is certainly putting his stamp on that roster.

Well Chekwa is still on our practice squad. Quick question though what have you seen from DVD in college or the pros where he should be label with having potential. Its like if we put Bolt in pads and say he has potential to be a corner or wr.
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Potenital.

Well Chekwa is still on our practice squad. Quick question though what have you seen from DVD in college or the pros where he should be label with having potential. Its like if we put Bolt in pads and say he has potential to be a corner or wr.

Ahh, didn't realize Chekwa made the PS.

As for Van Dyke he showed solid ball skills as a junior/senior. Wasn't afraid to make a tackle either. Unlike Bolt, he's actually played the position and produced at a high level of college ball.

I don't think either of those traits have translated to his pro game at all so far. But it seems like he was jettisoned as much due to scheme/regime change as anything else. 1 season isn't much time to give a kid who, even if he's sucked to date, has at least one rare physical talent.

I'm not making any claims he's going to amount to anything, but you take those college numbers, produced as a part timer, and combine them with 4.28 speed and, like I say for a camp cut signing...there's more upside here than in many of the guys being rostered this time of year.

Odds are awfully good you know more about his play to date than I do...but at the very least it's a low risk/high reward proposition.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
autumwind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is going to out run him, and he does have some skills. He was a standout at camp. It's goo to see him get another shot. Especially with a respectable organization. We raiders fan may be say why did we release DVD
steelers43

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being here in Florida and a Hurricane's fan I watched serveral of their games. I always thought DVD was a decent player, has great speed, ok at tackleing and ok ball skills. Someone said earlier about him being taken out cus defense was being gashed by running game, sorry but if you need to relie on a CB to stop the running game, there are alot more problems there then him and there was! THE Raiders took him WAY to high in my opinion. Could be something, time will tell

" The dead know only one thing... It's better to be ALIVE"

"Your Coach is a Cheater, Your Super Bowls are lies, you back-up at Michigan"(Tom Brady) stated by Tosh O
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:

Potenital.

I'll have to look that word up, Treat. I like dirty French words. Almost looks like the english word we use for guys like this, "potential". Razz

Sorry Treat, couldn't resist...you just set that up so nicely!!

Anyway, yes, he has potential. Just put him on guys like Torrey Smith and A.J. Jenkins...at least he'll be able to keep up w/ them. Can't be worse than a CB that's 5 yds behind them because he can't keep up, right?

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
RaiderX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros
-Height, Speed, Length
-Can Cover

Cons
-Not useful on STs
-Terrible in Zone
-Bad awareness/Doesn't make plays on ball
-Skinny

He packed on 10lbs in the offseason going from 176 to 186. Still needs to pack on another 10. The reason being the guy is useless against the run and gets blocked out too easily because of his skinny frame. Bad tackling as well.

Was hoping he would show flashes like Sam Shields his rookie year but not enough to keep around this season.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
Pros
-Height, Speed, Length
-Can Cover

Cons
-Not useful on STs
-Terrible in Zone
-Skinny

He packed on 10lbs in the offseason going from 176 to 186. Still needs to pack on another 10. The reason being the guy is useless against the run and gets blocked out too easily because of his skinny frame. Bad tackling as well.

Was hoping he would show flashes like Sam Shields his rookie year but not enough to keep around this season.

That's exactly whom I compared him to. They both were blazers and not the best at run support. I have no issues taking a Cover CB and isolating him ala Ike and eventually with our players and the frame of mind with our defensive players, he will learn tackling is very important. I didn't see much of him in the preseason but he was always a player I wanted in B&G.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
shawn l brown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
RaiderX wrote:
Pros
-Height, Speed, Length
-Can Cover

Cons
-Not useful on STs
-Terrible in Zone
-Skinny

That's exactly whom I compared him to. They both were blazers and not the best at run support. I have no issues taking a Cover CB and isolating him ala Ike and eventually with our players and the frame of mind with our defensive players, he will learn tackling is very important. I didn't see much of him in the preseason but he was always a player I wanted in B&G.
As a press cover corner he looked ok.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good pick up for special teams. He needs a lot of work if he's going to be a good cb though. Thank god the steelers have one of the best dbs and defensive coaches in NFL history to coach him up.

Overall, I like te pick up. He has tools to work with

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Potenital.

I'll have to look that word up, Treat. I like dirty French words. Almost looks like the english word we use for guys like this, "potential". Razz

Anyway, yes, he has potential. Just put him on guys like Torrey Smith and A.J. Jenkins...at least he'll be able to keep up w/ them. Can't be worse than a CB that's 5 yds behind them because he can't keep up, right?

LOL. Missed that. Friggin spell check anyways.

Regardless, Ward, you are officially the only one who has any sense at all in regards to team rankings in our FFMD league.

I like ya. I'll let this one slide.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
Ward4HOF wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Potenital.

Regardless, Ward, you are officially the only one who has any sense at all in regards to team rankings in our FFMD league.

So just because people dont buy into hype as quick as you, that means they have no sense?

Completely ridiculous.

No need to insult the other GMs just because they didnt put your team on the same pedestal you do.

Theyre just power rankings...my god. I even said in the other thread you would have bragging rights if everything did pan out.

I really didnt expect a comment like that coming from you.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:
Ward4HOF wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Potenital.

So just because people dont buy into hype as quick as you, that means they have no sense?

Completely ridiculous.

No need to insult the other GMs just because they didnt put your team on the same pedestal you do.

Theyre just power rankings...my god. I even said in the other thread you would have bragging rights if everything did pan out.

I really didnt expect a comment like that coming from you.

43, I don't think it was supposed to be taken literally. At least I didn't feel offended by it. Actually, I kind of laughed at it. Oh well, every one interprets things differently.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: