Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

This is the Romo that shuts up haters, at least for now
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: This is the Romo that shuts up haters, at least for now Reply with quote

If anyone has a link to rewatch the game, shoot me a PM. I threw my wife a surprise 30th b'day, so hosting duties got in the way of seeing every play.

Quote:
Regardless, this was the Romo everyone wants to see, this was the Romo that shuts up, for now, the army of Tony haters among Cowboys' fandom. He was a skilled passer on Wednesday night, but by now that should be a given.

He was also, however, a stand-tall leader, and that has never been a given. But in this kind of hostile environment against the Giants' kind of defense, and after starting the evening with a stupid interception, Romo displayed the kind of mental toughness that a team recognizes and groups behind.

Plus, here's a new one:

Romo, the skilled evaluator of talent.

When his favorite target of last season, Laurent Robinson, left the Cowboys in free agency, it was Romo who told Stephen Jones, the team's executive vice president, not to worry. "Kevin Ogletree is ready to play right now," Stephen said, quoting Romo

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/09/06/4234433/this-is-the-romo-that-shuts-up.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Quote:
That Ryan Cook was active for Wednesday’s regular-season opener against the New York Giants was a bit of a surprise, considering he practiced with the team only three times following his acquisition in a trade from Miami.

That Cook took all but three snaps at center in the Cowboys’ 24-17 win is even more stunning, but he was pressed into duty when Phil Costa’s back tightened up in the first series.

“Average at best,” Cook said in describing his performance. “I think it took me awhile to get settled in. I hadn’t had many reps and really no reps with the (No. 1) offense. It took a little bit of an adjustment but now we’ve got a game under our belt and I look forward to next week.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4697093/with-little-work-ryan-cook-fills-in-at-center

Quote:
Mackenzy Bernardeau allowed a sack on Dallas second offensive play from scrimmage, but he and fellow guard Nate Livings, along with backup center Ryan Cook built a solid interior pocket for Tony Romo. The Giants ends pressured Romo, but from the second series forward, the Giants could not generate a consistent interior push. This gave Romo room to float in the pocket and extend plays.

The solid protection allowed Romo to rebound from a 2nd quarter interception. He led Dallas to 24 points on the team's last five possessions of the game. After a sluggish start, that saw New York with a 3-0 lead late in the 2nd quarter, Garrett and Romo found a play calling rhythm, one that carried over from the preseason.

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2012/09/cowboys-24-giants-17-you-had-questions.html

Quote:
2. Last time the Cowboys opened the season with a road win against the Giants (1995), they went on to win their last Super Bowl (XXX).

1. Wonder how many Fantasy Football owners began their day by putting in a free-agent bid on Ogletree?

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/09/06/cowboys-24-giants-17-my-top-10-cbs-contemplations/

Quote:
4.) Hats off to Rob Ryan and the defense. The group looked greatly improved. Now that Ryan has some playmakers in the secondary there’s time for DeMarcus Ware and the pass rush to make plays up front. Ware (two sacks), Sean Lee (12 tackles and a forced fumble), Jason Hatcher, Bruce Carter, Anthony Spencer and Gerald Sensabaugh all stood out at different times. And getting Jay Ratliff back will only improve things. Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne were beaten on a few plays but that’s to be expected against the defending Super Bowl champs. Expect those two only to get better the longer they play with their new teammates. It was obvious that their play on the back end helped the Cowboys sack Manning three times.

“They made Eli hold the ball a little bit more,” Ware said of Carr and Claiborne. “He couldn’t go off his first and second read. That gave the pass rush a lot more time to get there and create a little bit of havoc.
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/09/5-thoughts-tony-romo-outstanding-cowboys-defense-greatly-improved.html/

Quote:
The cornerbacks are definitely upgraded.

Brandon Carr and rookie Morris Claiborne look like players, as advertised. Carr misjudged his leap on a 39-yard completion to Domenik Hixon that set up New York's first TD, which made him look a lot like since-departed Terence Newman. But overall, the free-agent addition and the rookie first-rounder were solid, playing man coverages on about 90% of the snaps, which is what defensive coordinator Rob Ryan needs in order to unload his full package of blitzes. So far, so good

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-09-06/cowboys-beat-giants-lessons-learned/57626150/1

Quote:
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - After Tony Romo, Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys spoiled their home opener, the defending Super Bowl champions had to walk through the tunnel back into their locker room and hear it from Tom Coughlin.

That might've hurt more than any DeMarcus Ware sack or DeMarco Murray run.

"Take a bite out of humble pie," Coughlin said of his message to the New York Giants after their deflating 24-17 loss to the Cowboys at home. "It brings you right back to Earth."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8343385/new-york-giants-defense-served-humble-pie-tony-romo-dallas-cowboys

Quote:
“I felt like I dedicated myself to do that. Not only that I had help from Tony, Miles, Wit and the rest of the guys. I feel like they helped me out a lot and I learned a lot and we’re just going to keep moving.”

Bryant said he feels the Cowboys have a good team, “and we all have each other’s back.” He complimented Kevin Ogletree’s performance and marveled at Witten’s ability to come back so quickly from a lacerated spleen.

“It just makes you want to play harder,” Bryant said. “To see Wit go out there just gave us that extra push and helped us play at our best.

“Witten didn’t have to play with his spleen injury and really he shouldn’t have played but he showed heart. He gave us a little bit of momentum.”

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/09/cowboys-wr-dez-bryant-i-have-to-know-what-the-hell-im-doing-if-hes-going-to-be-on-the-field-with-tony-romo-jason-witten-and-miles-austin.html/

Quote:
"It's a big win obviously because we beat a divisional rival on the road and those are tough wins to come by, especially ones that are against the defending champs. But at the same time, if we want to get to where we want to go, you've got to put your head down and grind again and you just have to keep, win or loss, do it again.

"It makes the feeling better when you win, but it's going to be the same approach when I get back [Thursday] as if we had lost. You have to make it that way. It's the only way to get to where you want to be in this league."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8341931/dallas-cowboys-quarterback-tony-romo-gets-redemption-new-york-giants

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But at the same time, if we want to get to where we want to go, you've got to put your head down and grind again and you just have to keep, win or loss, do it again.

"It makes the feeling better when you win, but it's going to be the same approach when I get back [Thursday] as if we had lost. You have to make it that way. It's the only way to get to where you want to be in this league."

He wants that ring THIS year.

^^^Deadpulse
mco65

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As giddy as I am about the result and the performance of the Cowboys, we have seen this Romo before. He has had these type of games in the past and in fact, he has had quite a few of them. I want to see Romo and especially the team put up this kind of performance in Nov and Dec.. I am optimistic they will but still leery of a late season swoon.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that is a little worried about bringing Ratliff back? Yeah, he provides a great pass rush, but Josh Brent plugs up holes much better than Rat does. I would love Rat playing the five tech, but I think Brent needs to stay inside at nose for at least two downs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Am I the only one that is a little worried about bringing Ratliff back? Yeah, he provides a great pass rush, but Josh Brent plugs up holes much better than Rat does. I would love Rat playing the five tech, but I think Brent needs to stay inside at nose for at least two downs.

You bring up an interesting point. Maybe this is something the coaching staff should consider. Ratliff is obviously not healthy and has been way more prone to fading away late in season. Maybe it would better serve him and the team to have Brent play on running downs. Have Ratliff come in and rush the passer and play DT in our 4-3 set. Then later on in the season, I believe we will get more out of him. Lets face it, he is 31 and has a lingering foot injury. Lets use him in certain situations and let him be fresh in key parts of the game.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Also consider the Giants were AWFUL at running the ball last year. So his isn't a good indicative of what's to come.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Also consider the Giants were AWFUL at running the ball last year. So his isn't a good indicative of what's to come.

And consider we had the 7th best Run D in the NFL last year...and I don't recall us ever really giving up any big runs.

What killed us last year, was a terrible pass defense.

^^^Deadpulse
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

And consider we had the 7th best Run D in the NFL last year...and I don't recall us ever really giving up any big runs.

This is also true. I'm torn on it. I just worry about Ratliffs' health now and the fact that he hasn't worked out or played at all this season, save for a couple weeks of practice, also worries me.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
bwareovdware94

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

This is also true. I'm torn on it. I just worry about Ratliffs' health now and the fact that he hasn't worked out or played at all this season, save for a couple weeks of practice, also worries me.

I think that Ratliff is on the downslide of his career, and that when he is healthy he should be eased back into the swing of things. Even against a poor Giants running attack, our run D seemed better than it has in the past, and I think have Lissemore and Brent should continue to play 1st and 2nd downs even when Ratliff is back.
WakaKoalaFlame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does this every month except December. Let's wait til December.

Now if our OLINE wasn't terrible...
Terrance Williams:
Tony7188

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WakaKoalaFlame wrote:

Yeah but our secondary is much better then the previous years, better coaches and they are young

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WakaKoalaFlame wrote:

Were you being sarcastic? Romo had a TD:INT ratio of 10:1 in the month of December/the one game in January. He was playing out of his mind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WakaKoalaFlame wrote:

Educate yourself ... PLEASE!!

Sig courtesy of mack.
King John

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was seriously surprised by all the media coverage saying that this is Romo's best game or that it's a turning point game in his career. He played really well but besides him compensating for the bad O-line play it was a pretty routine game for Romo, he had many game last year on par or better than this game, including the first game against the Giants imo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King John wrote:
I was seriously surprised by all the media coverage saying that this is Romo's best game or that it's a turning point game in his career. He played really well but besides him compensating for the bad O-line play it was a pretty routine game for Romo, he had many game last year on par or better than this game, including the first game against the Giants imo.

ditto.
I think the media simply plays their ROMO mantra backwards or forwards depending on whether the Cowboys win or loose..
Romo's Great
Romo's bad
Romo's Great
Romo's bad

geez.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: