Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dumerville vs our OT(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rivers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Dumerville vs our OT(s) Reply with quote

Is there a chance the broncos will move Dumerville over to go up against Gilbert in passing downs? I am not familiar with their scheme.

I am more concerned with Gilbert vs speed and looks like there is no hiding when the other player could be miller. Miller from out wide thereabouts could be a problem for Gilbert . This DE/OT matchup could determine the fate of the game unless we run the ball and keep running.

Some here have been critical of Gilbert and if he has a game to prove the critics wrong, it would be this one. If he really struggles, will they bring in Adams?

On paper this doesn't look good for other areas of the game :

Clark is out
Harrison is out
Mendy should be out
Wallace just reported recently

The OL could be the deciding factor and keeping the ball away from manning is also important.

What do you say about Ground n pound Cool
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumerville vs our OT(s) Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
Is there a chance the broncos will move Dumerville over to go up against Gilbert in passing downs? I am not familiar with their scheme.

I am more concerned with Gilbert vs speed and looks like there is no hiding when the other player could be miller. Miller from out wide thereabouts could be a problem for Gilbert . This DE/OT matchup could determine the fate of the game unless we run the ball and keep running.

Some here have been critical of Gilbert and if he has a game to prove the critics wrong, it would be this one. If he really struggles, will they bring in Adams?

On paper this doesn't look good for other areas of the game :

Clark is out
Harrison is out
Mendy should be out
Wallace just reported recently

The OL could be the deciding factor and keeping the ball away from manning is also important.

What do you say about Ground n pound Cool

If Gilbert struggles on the right side vs. pass rushers, will they bring in a LT who has shown tremendous struggles vs. the pass? I highly doubt it!! Im thinking it will be Miller vs. Starks and Dumervil / Woodyard vs. Gilbert. I think we may see some draw plays and some hard counts. I agree though to ground n' pound with Dwyer and Redman is a good strategy, and then use some play action.
treat88

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Miller and Dumervil have the ability to give any OT we line up against them total fits.

No two ways around it.

One good thing is that as HC of the Chiefs, Haley is very familiar with these guys. Hopefully he has a wrinkle or two to make em think.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

3rivers, you do realize that the gameday threads are created for these exact types of posts, right? It would probably get more attention there, actually.

Doom is fast off the edge, and regardless of whether he went up vs Starks or Gilbert, they would need help. Those are the type of pass rushers our line normally struggles against.

You can probably count on at least 5 sacks tomorrow night. Some will be on the line...a couple may be on Ben.

I also think we will see a good bit of use of the underneath passing game, with a couple deep shots to Wallace once they start creeping up.

Our team was in worse shape going into the playoff game. Of course we were playing Tim Tebow.

I wont be shocked if we win or lose, but I predict a win. I think it will be close, but I think LeBeau will be more prepared this time. Getting Manning rattled early is key, and I think it will be easier to do that than in past year. If Woodley and Carter hit him early, I think he will get happy feet and start forcing passes.

I expect Manning to have a solid year, but Ill be shocked if he comes out of the gate and tears us up. Not out of the question....but unlikely.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.

Last edited by FourThreeMafia on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
greene91fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought when we drafted two offensive linemen 1-2 in the draft and picked up another later in the draft these O-Line threads were going to stop littering the board?

FourThreeMafia wrote:
3rivers, you do realize that the gameday threads are created for these exact types of posts, right? It would probably get more attention there, actually.

That really does make perfect sense. Particularly when Bronco posters are coming into our GDT to discuss the game. They would more than likely debate this with you to no end. Lord knows I'm tired of reading about it!

Thanks Lysar529 for the sig!

"Arguing with some people is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. The more you do it, the more you realize the pig is enjoying it."
GreasyApples

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that "Official OLine Thread" you created was made for naught. lol

We can only hope Starks and Gilbert can keep Ben clean for most of the game, and that Ben gets the ball out quicker.

Props to mike23md!
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreasyApples wrote:
I guess that "Official OLine Thread" you created was made for naught. lol

We can only hope Starks and Gilbert can keep Ben clean for most of the game, and that Ben gets the ball out quicker.

Good point about getting the passes out there quicker. Lets see if a full offseason and new OC is enough to make that happen. It could save him a few years of his career especially after what we saw last year.

The boo birds came out for my OL thread so it is defunct I believe. Yeah, I tried, but lets see if this group will deserve a positive OL thread as the season progresses. This game is a good test in many ways and I look forward to it.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be a long day on passing downs.... Period.

Starks was slow footed vs speed rushers before tearing the acl. Now that should be worse...

Miller is also one of the best speed pass rushers in the nfl as treat88 was eluding to. I'd like to see heath Miller kept in for help/chipping and the running backs must do this on the other side. They have to give Roethilsberger time to throw, bottom line but Ben has to also get the ball out of his hands quicker than he has in years past.

We saw ben do a better job of getting the ball out fast in the preseason. Hopefully, we see more of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Leader O'Cola

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

need to see Haley/Ben go to no-huddle Tgun looks when they manage to catch Denver in bad personnel (Dumerville/ Miller out to rest a snap, etc)
Leader O'Cola

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

We saw ben do a better job of getting the ball out fast in the preseason. Hopefully, we see more of that.

part of it is on Ben, part of it (past anyways) is on play design....
surely Haley is smarter than Arians and realized this from what we've seen so far.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
Both Miller and Dumervil have the ability to give any OT we line up against them total fits.

No two ways around it.

One good thing is that as HC of the Chiefs, Haley is very familiar with these guys. Hopefully he has a wrinkle or two to make em think.

While not a big fan of the bubble screens, tonight Haley would be wise to dial a few of these up, along w/ some quick outs and some "dink and dunk" type plays.

We have to test their safeties; just not on as many plays.

Gilbert outperformed expectations last year at RT...hopefully he can again this year. He'll lose some battles for sure, but I STILL feel more comfortable w/ our OL this year than last year at this time. I'll take this year's OL vs. Denver's front than last year's OL vs the Raven's front.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be like the preseason game against the Iggles if we are not careful. Screen passes. drags, quick outs, slants, swing passes etc. behind a solid running game and we can win this matchup. The only time Ben should hold onto the ball for 5 or more seconds should be, well....never, but if he works behind some playaction and misdirection and we chip those pass rushers we should be okay. Keep those bastards on the field and wear them out. Sadly, I'd bet our oline gets winded pretty easily.

Thanks Lyasr 529

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: