Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mendenhall a possibility to play on gameday?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwabalicious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Mendenhall a possibility to play on gameday? Reply with quote

Well, he was in pads for some reason during our last preseason game, and now this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000058106/article/rashard-mendenhall-incredible-at-steelers-practice?module=HP11_headline_stack

Quote:
Then on Monday -- ditching his red, don't-touch-me jersey -- Mendenhall took regular snaps with the starters at practice, drawing high praise from teammates.

"He looked incredible," Brett Keisel told Jim Wexell of Scout.com.

"I thought he looked great," said Lawrence Timmons. "He was running well, finishing runs. I'm excited for him."

Coach Mike Tomlin is even toying with the idea of starting Mendenhall over Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer in Sunday night's season opener against the Denver Broncos, according to the site.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring him along slow.

Considering he likely wont be here next season, they need to see what they have in Redman and especially Dwyer.

I personally wouldve put Mendy on PUP. There is no way he is 100%. Maybe 85%-90%.

Redman is better for this team right now anyway. He is a strong, north south guy. Mendy is pretty tough runner, but dances too much and has poor vision.

I want to see Mendy play this year, but I dont think he should be the feature back.
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big props to our medical staff for the recoveries of Hampton and Mendenahall this offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is surprising to hear. One thing is for sure, we have more depth at runningback than looked to be the case a couple of weeks ago!

I too would like to see Mendy brought along at an intelligent pace. Hope one of Redman or Dwyer gets most of the carries in the upcoming game, depending on how Redman being ready to play at full speed.

And if Mendy does start this game, hopefully he splits carries at the least!
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like it... Just worried he's rushing it. Being in a contract year he may be doing too much too soon.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they bring him in slow. He could start as our 3rd down back at first and then slowly work back into the feature back.

He has the best skillset on the team to be a 3rd down back.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokescreen. If he's practicing now, he'll be playing next week vs the Jets. I know many would feel that Mendenhall's skillset would suits Haley's offense and could be very effecient in our offense but we don't need him now, not at this moment at least.

Redman and Dwyer are more than capable of handling the split carries and I personally think Dwyer will be seeing more carries than Redman but we will see.

It's good hearing a player is coming back, but it'd be great when he's 100% and show up when we need him most! (ex: Starks coming back last season!)
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looked incredible from a 5 tech DE view?

I think they should let mendy heal even if it is another 2 months. Let the other players earn their roster spots .

Last thing they need is another knee injury.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been saying its a possibility all offseason. I hope he plays a little but I am satisfied with the other backs on the roster. As 43 said and like usual I agree with him, work him in slowly please.... Pretty please with a cherry on top. Laughing Cool Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendy doesn't get a lot of love from Steelers fan for what ever reason, but I think he's fully healed. Holding him out would serve what purpose if almost every body wants Dwyer and Redman to start? I'd say give him 5-10 carries and see where it goes from there. There is only one way to test his injury and that's by playing not by sitting for 1-8 wks. I hope Mendy goes crazy this year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, if there's anybody who should benefits most from Haley's offense, it's Mendenhall, however will he play just much and as talented we thought he were?

I'm one of those few people who feel like vs Broncos game should be an easy game for us. So I don't see any need of rushing Mendenhall back in.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Mendy doesn't get a lot of love from Steelers fan for what ever reason, but I think he's fully healed. Holding him out would serve what purpose if almost every body wants Dwyer and Redman to start? I'd say give him 5-10 carries and see where it goes from there. There is only one way to test his injury and that's by playing not by sitting for 1-8 wks. I hope Mendy goes crazy this year.

What has he ever done to get alot of love?

Seriously...answer me that.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you always have a remarkable and fascinating thing to say, 43M?

3rivers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

What has he ever done to get alot of love?

Survived and got decent yardage behind an OL that was for most of his career one of the worst in the league. OC /QB was equally as bad for a RB. He hasn't produced like players that get the accolades, but might this year once he gets healthy. Not Franco or the Bus, but not Foster either. It will be different with the new OC and OL if the OL is going to play well.

To anyone, who would have produced good numbers with the OL of years past?

If the OL plays to potential in the running game, I am seeing 5 ypc with any of the backs possibly more since teams don't play the run like they did way back. Mendy could have a few break away runs as well which could bring up the average, but maybe he has lost speed.

Gang up on the run, get burned by Wallace deep. Sounds like a double edged sword that we have been waiting for.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Why do you always have a remarkable and fascinating thing to say, 43M?

Its a legit question.

I suppose if I said Mendy was amazing, you wouldnt have had a problem with it. Yeah.

And by the way, your contributions are equally remarkable and fascinating.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: