Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New man, older body: Big Ben at 30
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthwestSteel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: New man, older body: Big Ben at 30 Reply with quote

What he did not divulge, and still has not, is when his baby boy is due. The delivery is expected sometime this fall, perhaps even on the first Sunday of December when the Steelers visit Baltimore.Surely, for such a potentially crucial late-season game against the Ravens, Roethlisberger will ...

"I'm not missing the birth of my child," Roethlisberger said emphatically. "There's no chance. I know some fans probably don't want to hear that, but there's no chance."

No, the fans likely do not want to hear that, but him saying it shows how far he has traveled as he enters his ninth pro season. He not only makes the transition from Big Ben to Big Dad, but he also discovered an ability to put his life into perspective. There was a time, fans might recall, when he was not so good at doing that. And if he misses a game for the birth of his son? You might remember him missing four games a few years ago for not-so-noble reasons.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/new-man-older-body-the-steelers-big-ben-at-30-652012/#ixzz25iDTtFCJ
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben can take off the whole month for all I care. It's just a football game. We can manage without him if need be.
gatek99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he can miss a game, I trust Batch or Lefty for one game this year.

Man I can't believe he is 30, it seems like yesterday when we drafted some random dude from Miami Ohio and won a Super Bowl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Ben can take off the whole month for all I care. It's just a football game. We can manage without him if need be.

Wouldnt go that far.

I mean, if there's justifiable reasoning, sure, but if he missed more than one after a normal birth, it makes no sense.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would understand if he missed 1 game. 2 maybe... but a month, that's just pushing it. That's why I think there should be an enabling rule where all football players should mate during summer or fall... so they wouldn't miss any game Laughing

but out of seriousness, I'm happy for him, he's been through a lot and not many of us can say we have been in his position minus the fame.
3rivers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

Wouldnt go that far.

I mean, if there's justifiable reasoning, sure, but if he missed more than one after a normal birth, it makes no sense.

maybe with the new OC and OL he could miss a few more games than before. Who knows, maybe he will be next to get a knee injury? no more arians fro OC Laughing
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are players who are back with the team a day or two after births/deaths.

I would never criticize a player for missing more than that, but like I said, unless the baby isnt healthy or his wife isnt before/during/after the birth, I see no reason why he should miss more than 1 game.
rollins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

I would never criticize a player for missing more than that, but like I said, unless the baby isnt healthy or his wife isnt before/during/after the birth, I see no reason why he should miss more than 1 game.

For a normal birth you do not get off for more than the day of and maybe the day after. A death involves morning thats different, but to miss more than 2 days is not ok for a birth of a healthy baby unless Ben is hiding the fact that he is actually the one GIVING birth to this baby. So I would criticize it if he missed more than one game for this birth.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

For a normal birth you do not get off for more than the day of and maybe the day after. A death involves morning thats different, but to miss more than 2 days is not ok for a birth of a healthy baby unless Ben is hiding the fact that he is actually the one GIVING birth to this baby. So I would criticize it if he missed more than one game for this birth.

I agree with that completely and was actually oging to mention that earlier. Most people dont get much time off for that.

Ive heard several times where players wives had babies the day before and were at the game. Only way Id excuse Ben from a game completely is if the game is on Sunday and she goes into labor on Friday or Saturday.

If the game is on Sunday and she has the baby on Thursday or Friday, there is absolutely no excuse for him missing Sunday.

And who was that kicker who played the day after his young son died? Was it Doug Bryant?

Anyway....just saying Ben should miss no more than 1 game barring issues with the baby...and even that one game would depend on when she had the kid.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Babies can take a toll on a person. I hope all goes well for him and the misses, but things can be really hard at first.

My buddies wife gave birth to their (and her) first child in late January. We're now in September, and she still struggles mentally.

I doubt he'll need to miss a game at all, but if he does; no complaint will come from me.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Babies can take a toll on a person. I hope all goes well for him and the misses, but things can be really hard at first.

My buddies wife gave birth to their (and her) first child in late January. We're now in September, and she still struggles mentally.

I doubt he'll need to miss a game at all, but if he does; no complaint will come from me.

Postpartum depression.

Yeah...it happens.

It doesnt excuse any husbands from their job and wont excuse him.

Like I said...I dont mind if he ends up missing a game. But barring birth complications, there is absolutely no reason to miss more than that.
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell her to put a cork in it. Ben's playing. Laughing

Go Noles!
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Postpartum depression.

Yeah...it happens.

Like I said...I dont mind if he ends up missing a game. But barring birth complications, there is absolutely no reason to miss more than that.

Understandable, but if he did miss "significant" time because of her, I wouldn't complain. If Ben's having troubles at home because his better half can't cope with the baby, I doubt he'll be mentally tough on the field.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Postpartum depression.

Yeah...it happens.

Understandable, but if he did miss "significant" time because of her, I wouldn't complain. If Ben's having troubles at home because his better half can't cope with the baby, I doubt he'll be mentally tough on the field.

Usually, there is nothing husbands can do about that anyway.

Thats something only time, counseling and sometimes medication can handle.

And in Ben's case, he is uber rich. He can afford to get her great help, which is something many cant afford.

Again, only way Id personally excuse him over one game is if its something serious, and postpartum depression is actually pretty normal.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame anyone for thinking otherwise. I would agree. I doubt it's bad at all. My wife was really worried when she was first pregnant, but as soon as she started noticing the baby bump, she calmed down. Fortunately, my wife hasn't bad the baby blues at all, although, you never know how someone could be.

More than likely, all will go well. I doubt he'll even miss a game, to be honest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: