Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Former Browns/Ravens owner Art Modell Dies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
@MaryKayCabot

"Cleveland Browns cancel their recognition of Art Modell's passing at Stadium tomorrow at the request of Modell family"

That's probably for the best, it would have been ugly. I'm not going to dance on the guys grave, but recognizing him would have been a slap in the face of Browns fans, it didn't make any sense
bruceb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
@MaryKayCabot

"Cleveland Browns cancel their recognition of Art Modell's passing at Stadium tomorrow at the request of Modell family"

Right answer
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:
@MaryKayCabot

Right answer

Completely agree. Fans left them no choice. I sent them a sternly worded email, and I know I wasn't the only one.
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:

Agreed.

I'm a Bengal fan, but I cried inside when Modell took the Browns out of town, because I knew how much football meant to Clevelanders. If you're telling me there are some classless Raven fans who enjoy getting up in Browns fans grills about losing their team, then I'm with you. But to blame the Baltimore fan base for Cleveland losing the Browns is wrong IMO.

It's wrong to blame the Baltimore fan base but they didn't seem too bothered about taking another city's team.

Being from London, like me, I expect you know all too well that this kind of thing would have no place in our football. I'm West Ham through and through, and nobody would even dream of trying to move the team. Nor would I suspect that any other self respecting fanbase would want any part of taking a team. The whole relocation of a franchise concept in American sports is a sham, and is the one part of sporting culture over there that I will never get my head around.

Cleveland was shafted, and the city of Baltimore did not care that they were taking so much away from them. Surprising considering they had previously felt the same pain themselves. Two wrongs don't make a right.
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if this isnt enough to royally pee you off

http://mobile.cleveland.com/advcleve/pm_29205/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=qKyQTRqH

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
bruceb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:
Well if this isnt enough to royally pee you off

http://mobile.cleveland.com/advcleve/pm_29205/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=qKyQTRqH

Modell had personal financial problems that probably trumped any other thoughts he had about the team and CLE.

Desperate people do desperate things.
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stadium offer was for a dual purpose stadium which is why Modell turned it down. While I agree that he should have stayed in Cleveland by bypassing Mike White and making his argument known, this is not something I think he was wrong about.

Vince Lombardi
Bucketheadsdad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2012/09/art_modell_gateway_stadium.html

I tried to start a separate thread for this, but it got locked.....According to this, the stadium was going to be separate from what we know as "Gateway".....on the other side of the innerbelt (I-90)

2014 1st Ballot Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award...#FREEJOSHGORDON! Adopt a Brownie 2014: Jabaal Sheard 17 tackles, 2 sacks
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucketheadsdad wrote:
http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2012/09/art_modell_gateway_stadium.html

I tried to start a separate thread for this, but it got locked.....According to this, the stadium was going to be separate from what we know as "Gateway".....on the other side of the innerbelt (I-90)

Yeah, he's a piece of crap.

Anyone know the location of his interment? I have, uh, business to do there.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OUTLAW wrote:
The stadium offer was for a dual purpose stadium which is why Modell turned it down. While I agree that he should have stayed in Cleveland by bypassing Mike White and making his argument known, this is not something I think he was wrong about.

Dual purpose stadiums were fine for Moddell when he got to rob the Indians blind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I don't trust this info very much...

Why the hell would u wait to say this stuff after he guy is dead. You know saying it is going to [inappropriate/removed] off an entire fan base.

I don't believe they didn't want to say anything because of respect for Art, cause serious what major business person has that much integrity to sit on that for so long.

Feel like he wanted to "reveal" that because with Art dead he couldn't speak the truth and make themselves look better by saying they really wanted to stay in Cleveland

Why can't everyone just let this situation die like Art

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

Why the hell would u wait to say this stuff after he guy is dead. You know saying it is going to [inappropriate/removed] off an entire fan base.

I don't believe they didn't want to say anything because of respect for Art, cause serious what major business person has that much integrity to sit on that for so long.

Feel like he wanted to "reveal" that because with Art dead he couldn't speak the truth and make themselves look better by saying they really wanted to stay in Cleveland

What's not to trust? I remember very specifically Cleveland's leaders telling Modell they would "take care of him". They just wanted to take care of Jacobs & the Gunds 1st. I think the leaders thought the Browns would never leave. I mean they were iconic in Cleveland. Art unfortunately was in a hard spot financially, let his pride take control and made a hasty move. To think Cleveland wouldn't have taken care of the Browns is silly thoughts.

I do agree with you that it is time to put this to rest and move on. He is dead now so maybe we will.

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
buno67

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
buno67 wrote:

What's not to trust? I remember very specifically Cleveland's leaders telling Modell they would "take care of him". They just wanted to take care of Jacobs & the Gunds 1st. I think the leaders thought the Browns would never leave. I mean they were iconic in Cleveland. Art unfortunately was in a hard spot financially, let his pride take control and made a hasty move. To think Cleveland wouldn't have taken care of the Browns is silly thoughts.

I do agree with you that it is time to put this to rest and move on. He is dead now so maybe we will.

oh i know, its been 10+ years and now this guy wants to talk about. just seems sketchy to me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucketheadsdad wrote:

I still think that was the ideal site for the stadium. It would have led to additional development in and around that gateway area. But, I still don't think it was at that time viewed as a separate stadium which is what Modell wanted. No doubt that Modell would have gotten a new stadium before the Indians and definitely the Cavs since the Colliseum was still a viable location at the time.

Vince Lombardi
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:
buno67 wrote:

oh i know, its been 10+ years and now this guy wants to talk about. just seems sketchy to me

Wasn't all of this already assumed? He didn't leave because of a stadium deal, that was his excuse to relocate, big difference. This is nothing new in my mind. Art was 100% the bad guy in the move... yep 100%. Was Cleveland officials perfect? Of course not, have you ever met city officials of any city? None of them are perfect. Art went for the $$$$ for the sake of the $$$$

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: