Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KVB Restructures Contract - Opportunity to Speculate?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: KVB Restructures Contract - Opportunity to Speculate? Reply with quote

According to Dave Birkett of the DFP, Vanden Bosch has restructured:
PFT.com wrote:
Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch has agreed to restructure his contract, saving the Lions $3 million in salary cap room.

Vanden Bosch’s old deal had two salaries left, paying him $5 million in 2012 and $5 million in 2013. In the restructuring, Vanden Bosch dropped his 2012 base salary to $925,000 and got back $4.075 million in the form of a signing bonus. Vanden Bosch lost no money in the deal, but he helped the Lions’ salary cap situation for this season.

An interesting line was added in the following paragraph, which reinforces a thought I've been having over the last few weeks:
Quote:
The “signing” bonus will accelerate onto next year’s cap, however. Club president Tom Lewand and G.M. Martin Mayhew will decide how to deal with it then. It’s possible Vanden Bosch is playing his last season with the Lions. He is turning 34 in a couple of months.

Considering his age, the injury, and the landscape of the position (young talent and cap concerns), it would make sense for both KVB and the Lions to decide that 2012 is his final year in the NFL. Doing this would allow the team to give Avril a deserving contract (based on his 2012 play) and tender Young at his RFA amount, keeping both young studs while lowering the cap hit from 2012.

Lawrence Jackson is a free agent after this year. If he decides that he wants more than his $915k 2012 contract, he may need to find it elsewhere. With Ronnell Lewis as an intriguing option for snaps in 2013, it shouldn't be hard to add a situational pass-rusher for the #4 spot.

Keeping Avril and Young as starters (next to Fairley and Suh), with Ronnell as depth, would bode well for the future of the franchise.

Team Stylish
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it terms out to be his last season I hope he ends on a high note. I feel he has done more for this team than we will ever know.

In regards to Willie Young starting, I am skeptical. It is not that he does not have the potential but strong play from the LE spot is paramount to success in this system.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiffleballtony wrote:
If it terms out to be his last season I hope he ends on a high note. I feel he has done more for this team than we will ever know.

In regards to Willie Young starting, I am skeptical. It is not that he does not have the potential but strong play from the LE spot is paramount to success in this system.

Well, if this is KVBs last season, the only way now would be retirement as 80% of his salary next year is guaranteed now. He just seems a year or 2 away from retirement, but maybe the tick-tack injuries are adding up and he is considering just leaving while he still has his health. I guess that is something only KVB and maybe the Lions know.

As far as the Young speculation..it does make sense. My contention all along was that he was not ready to be thrown into a starting role. But if KVB is considering retirement, this year would serve as a chance to ramp up Young's on field time over the course of the season and give the retiree-to-be a blow more and more often as the season wears down. Basically working him into the eventual starting role. This IMO would give Young a much better shot at becoming a reliable starter down the road.

Even if it did not ready him entirely by next season, it might at least put him in a position in his conditioning to play alot more in a heavy rotational basis so that he is completely set as a starter by 2014.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had already kind of decided that this is more than likely KVB's last season. It's just how the NFL works--he's done a good job for us, but when you're 34 or 35 years old you just get replaced by younger players, and we happen to have a few good looking young prospects at his position.

The intriguing thing to me, now, is why they're restructuring his deal right now. The timing is strange to me--they've already done their roster cuts and they've been able to sign guys for the last week or so. Either they're making space so they have room to sign a few injury fill-ins when they inevitably come along midseason (for which an extra $3 million seems like an over-allotment IMO), or they're making room for a trade or something.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Jrugges

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought this was his last season since we signed him from the begging. I never thought he'd play out the full contract.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KVB's contract goes through 2013.

His cap hit will be 9 million next year, 4.3 or so of which we will have to eat if this is his last year.

I would say it largely will depend on his performance next year. The 4-5 million in savings next year may or may not be worth it. Hard to tell at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
His cap hit will be 9 million next year, 4.3 or so of which we will have to eat if this is his last year.

Right you are. Read it a bit wrong. Still think it is prohibitive enough that the only way he isn't on the roster next year is if he retires.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:

Which is not really an issue, considering we made the decision to restructure, and will still save $5M.

Team Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
I had already kind of decided that this is more than likely KVB's last season. It's just how the NFL works--he's done a good job for us, but when you're 34 or 35 years old you just get replaced by younger players, and we happen to have a few good looking young prospects at his position.

The intriguing thing to me, now, is why they're restructuring his deal right now. The timing is strange to me--they've already done their roster cuts and they've been able to sign guys for the last week or so. Either they're making space so they have room to sign a few injury fill-ins when they inevitably come along midseason (for which an extra $3 million seems like an over-allotment IMO), or they're making room for a trade or something.

Yesterday was the deadline to get under the cap. Three teams were over. Detroit being one of them.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on ESPN that we were one of three teams that was ~700k over the cap. That's probably why we restructured. No link, but I saw it on SC

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

Yesterday was the deadline to get under the cap. Three teams were over. Detroit being one of them.

You ween bag, beat me to it Mad

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
You ween bag, beat me to it Mad

... ut in da?

Team Stylish
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

That makes much more sense, thanks.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

Which is not really an issue, considering we made the decision to restructure, and will still save $5M.

Ultimately, yes, the decision comes down to whether KVB's play is worth $5m to the team next year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on bleacher report (I know) that we added two void able years to KVBs contract to spread the signing bonus over that time. So it's pretty much 1.5 mil of a hit the next three years.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: