Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RashaanSalaami: Lions have 3 of NFL's 6 best cornerstones
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20181
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: RashaanSalaami: Lions have 3 of NFL's 6 best cornerstones Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=14521947#14521947

6) Ndamukong Suh

3) Matthew Stafford

1) Calvin Johnson

For those interested, his criteria are age (all under 28 as of 9/1/12), potential, production, risk, maturity, position, and marketability. All three of these guys obviously qualify pretty strongly on those scales. Note, it isn't intended to be a list of the 50 best players in the league, just those that are young and look like franchise building blocks (hence why Andy Dalton and Sam Bradford are both included).

What can I say? Feels good man. The only thing is that we have 50 other spots on the roster, and no other Lion cracked his top 50--which I think is about right. But I think this positioning perfectly encapsulates why Lions fans feel so optimistic about the franchise's future; no other team in the league has the kind of young, three-player foundation the Lions currently have.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25771
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. And your last sentence was well said.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 35332
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see. I think if maturity is taken into account though, Suh may be a bit high.

Pretty close to where I would have them all on my list though Cool
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20181
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Good to see. I think if maturity is taken into account though, Suh may be a bit high.

That was my thought on the matter as well. I was expecting to see Suh somewhere in the top 20 because of his ridiculous speed/strength thing he's got going on, but I would think his 2011 production and anger management issues would have docked him on the list a little. But if you're looking at maturity as an indicator of how far long his game is compared to the rest of the NFL, Suh plays the game like a veteran--he's got a solid repertoire of moves and doesn't just feel like a raw project in the making like, say, Aldon Smith (who is #14 on this list despite the fact that he was asked to do almost nothing but rush the passer last year).
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 35332
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Good to see. I think if maturity is taken into account though, Suh may be a bit high.

That was my thought on the matter as well. I was expecting to see Suh somewhere in the top 20 because of his ridiculous speed/strength thing he's got going on, but I would think his 2011 production and anger management issues would have docked him on the list a little. But if you're looking at maturity as an indicator of how far long his game is compared to the rest of the NFL, Suh plays the game like a veteran--he's got a solid repertoire of moves and doesn't just feel like a raw project in the making like, say, Aldon Smith (who is #14 on this list despite the fact that he was asked to do almost nothing but rush the passer last year).

Ya, I was thinking that as I posted it. His maturity within the game is off the charts. It is his personal maturity in life and emotional reaction to events that I question. But I do think that can affect a players career just as well, so I stick to my original statement.

Did you know Suh never apologized for the stomp and still blames the other player? How can you excuse that? He still don't even see a problem with it and that, IMO, is an issue.
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sllim Pickens


Moderator
Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 19243
Location: Middle of the Mitten
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of shocked Cliff Avril didn't get an HM at least given that he states Pass Rushers are the second most important. I also don't see too many teams with more than 3 so to have 3, all in the top 10 is pretty ridiculous.
_________________


Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25583
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Kind of shocked Cliff Avril didn't get an HM at least given that he states Pass Rushers are the second most important. I also don't see too many teams with more than 3 so to have 3, all in the top 10 is pretty ridiculous.


Personally I wouldn't have Suh that high. What's scary is if Avril is the real deal and continues to improve. Then there is also the Lions problem child Nick Fairley. He has all the talent in the world and if he can stay healthy and get his head right the sky is the limit for him.

The Lions actually have the potential to have three pro bowlers on the dline and all of them are kids.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25771
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Kind of shocked Cliff Avril didn't get an HM at least given that he states Pass Rushers are the second most important. I also don't see too many teams with more than 3 so to have 3, all in the top 10 is pretty ridiculous.


Personally I wouldn't have Suh that high. What's scary is if Avril is the real deal and continues to improve. Then there is also the Lions problem child Nick Fairley. He has all the talent in the world and if he can stay healthy and get his head right the sky is the limit for him.

The Lions actually have the potential to have three pro bowlers on the dline and all of them are kids.

Some of the plays Fairley made in that Saints game were incredible.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25583
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Kind of shocked Cliff Avril didn't get an HM at least given that he states Pass Rushers are the second most important. I also don't see too many teams with more than 3 so to have 3, all in the top 10 is pretty ridiculous.


Personally I wouldn't have Suh that high. What's scary is if Avril is the real deal and continues to improve. Then there is also the Lions problem child Nick Fairley. He has all the talent in the world and if he can stay healthy and get his head right the sky is the limit for him.

The Lions actually have the potential to have three pro bowlers on the dline and all of them are kids.

Some of the plays Fairley made in that Saints game were incredible.


I'm excited to see what he can do.

I hope he stays healthy because he has the ability to have the same type of impact as Suh.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1062
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Fairley realizes his potential and Willie can become a top 15-20 end... Shocked

We could have a top 5 DL all time if that comes to fruition
_________________
detfan782004 wrote:

Cruz is one of best WR in the game


detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.


wut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25583
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
If Fairley realizes his potential and Willie can become a top 15-20 end... Shocked

We could have a top 5 DL all time if that comes to fruition


Yes, the Lions could. We can't dismiss what RonL brings to the table either. He's a rookie but he is talented. We just have to see out of the young fella's who steps up.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1062
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
If Fairley realizes his potential and Willie can become a top 15-20 end... Shocked

We could have a top 5 DL all time if that comes to fruition


Yes, the Lions could. We can't dismiss what RonL brings to the table either. He's a rookie but he is talented. We just have to see out of the young fella's who steps up.


is it sunday yet?!
_________________
detfan782004 wrote:

Cruz is one of best WR in the game


detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.


wut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lions017


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 5030
Location: Alaska
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it.

I do think that Suh is probably a tad bit too high, but it's still pretty awesome. The only concern that we need to have with these three is the financial aspect - if they're really three of the top ten cornerstones in the league, they're going to need to get a ton of money. It might be tough to keep them all satisfied unless they're willing to get creative.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25771
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
I love it.

I do think that Suh is probably a tad bit too high, but it's still pretty awesome. The only concern that we need to have with these three is the financial aspect - if they're really three of the top ten cornerstones in the league, they're going to need to get a ton of money. It might be tough to keep them all satisfied unless they're willing to get creative.

Well, Calvin already did us a favor by signing a long term deal that didn't exactly value him for what he is.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sllim Pickens


Moderator
Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 19243
Location: Middle of the Mitten
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Lions017 wrote:
I love it.

I do think that Suh is probably a tad bit too high, but it's still pretty awesome. The only concern that we need to have with these three is the financial aspect - if they're really three of the top ten cornerstones in the league, they're going to need to get a ton of money. It might be tough to keep them all satisfied unless they're willing to get creative.

Well, Calvin already did us a favor by signing a long term deal that didn't exactly value him for what he is.


And the other two allready cost a lot and are locked up for a while but both have restructured to help us out allready.
_________________


Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group