Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

THE TRUTH ABOUT ELI MANNING
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eaglefan#1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: THE TRUTH ABOUT ELI MANNING Reply with quote

First off let me get this out of the way and say that after the last season, ELI MANNING IS DEFINITELY AN ELITE QB. Now that I got that out of the way Iíve seen many crucial plays in Eliís career were he gets bailed out time and time again. Eli Manning in the media is being talked about as a future hall of famer, and thatís fine and whatever but theyíre only saying that because of a team achievement. The Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl, not Eli Manning. He deserved the Super Bowl MVP, but I hate how they give all the credit to the QB like heís playing on special teams, playing on defense, and heís the coordinator on both sides of the football. In my opinion I think what elevates Eli Manning isnít necessary his play but the play of both Wide Receivers Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks. I think that what these two receivers do so well (especially Cruz) is that theyíre great route runners, create separation, and get a lot of YAC. Last season in my opinion they were the best starting duo Wide Receivers.

PLAY #1: Eli Manning gets in trouble and throws up a prayer in double coverage and somehow his receiver gets the football.

PLAY #2: Eli Manning throws a short/intermediate pass to his receiver and his receiver takes that short/intermediate pass and goes for a touchdown.

PLAY #3: Eli Manning throws a pass and the ball is dropped by the opponent when it was right in their hands.

PLAY #4: Eli Manning throws a pass thatís supposed to be deflected or intercepted.

Giants @ Cardinals- Eli drops back and throws a pass to Victor Cruz over the middle, he breaks a tackle, falls down fumbles the football and the refs ruled he gave himself up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJjKWXPzILE

Cardinals @ Giants- Eli drops back and throws a pass intended for Mario Manningham. It gets deflected by DRC, and then Hakeem Nicks gets it out of nowhere and he scores a 62 yd TD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJA4Aayjxi8

Giants @ Eagles- Eli drops back and throws a pass to a wide open Victor Cruz he breaks three tackles on the play and heís gone for a 74 yd TD.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCP83KkcQ-A

Seahawks @ Giants- Eli drops back and throws the football up to Victor Cruz, in double coverage. It gets tipped in the air, Cruz catches the football and heís gone for a 68 yd TD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGah-8fQ0xU

Giants @ Jets (I GUESS?)- Eli drops back and throws the football to Victor Cruz for a 1st down, on 3rd & 10 at the 1 yd line. Cruz catches it breaking three tackles and heís gone for a 99 yd TD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFExquFKLTg

Cowboys @ Giants- Eli drops runs to his left throws a pass to Victor Cruz who outruns everyone for a 74 yd TD.
(Start at 0:14) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ykTp6A-4w

Giants vs. Patriots- Eli drops back throw the football and lands in Asante Samuels hands but he dropped an easy int.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K36wgL4VLHM

Giants vs. Patriots- Eli drops back gets away from 3 or 4 hands grabbing his jersey, gets away from the pressure, and throws it up to Tyree in the middle of the field.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb9NOyBjGtU

Falcons @ Giants- Eli drops back find Hakeem Nicks, then Nicks takes it up the middle blows by 3 or 4 defenders and heís gone for a 72 yd TD.
(Start at 1:22) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lbqik9vM14

Giants @ Packers- Eli drops back finds Hakeem Nicks over the middle, then Hakeem Nicks breaks a tackle and turns around and heís gone for a 66 yd TD.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1025529-giants-vs-packers-video-watch-hakeem-nicks-scamper-for-66-yard-td

Giants @ Packers- Eli drops back with a three man rush, while he throws up a prayer and Hakeem Nicks goes up and gets it and it was before halftime. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRZnSW5kVTA

Giants @ 49ers- Eli drops back sliding to his left away from pressure as he threw it into double coverage were both players were going for the football. It was dropped and one of the 49er players injured their own teammate in the process.
(Start at 4:40) http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8263bd32/GameDay-Giants-vs-49ers-highlights

Giants @ 49ers- Eli drops back throws a pass to Ahmad Bradshaw he clearly tries to fight for extra yards as he clearly fumbled the football. But the refs ruled he was down due to forward progress but it was WAY TOO EARLY.
(Start at 8:27) http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8263bd32/GameDay-Giants-vs-49ers-highlights
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened over all of his career. Not to mention all those passes he throws on his back foot or turning away from a hit that are horrible decisions and somehow his receiver bails him out.

What angers me the most is why we don't draft receiver with good hands who attack the ball, we have seen time and time again how big of a difference it makes. Cruz is Maclin's size and he plays much bigger. With all this time you can't tell me there hasn't been a chance to draft a receiver with good hands. I don't know why this aspect keeps being overlook when this should be the first thing to look at when drafting someone who makes a living by CATCHING A BALL yet all of our receivers are inconsistent in this area.

Thanks to Braylon4MVP for the sig!
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessarily a fault of Eli.

It's a team sport. If he's giving his team a chance to make a play, then he deserves the success and accolades.

I think historically, Andy Reid puts a lot of importance on the QB. From the Favre years, to McNabb, to Vick, whoever, the fact of the matter is, the QB is the absolute focal point of the offense and has to put the ball ON THE SPOT for the targets to make plays.

Andy Reid receivers have had dangerous talent, such as Jackson, but they don't particularly physically dominate.

We had one in T.O., who you could just toss the ball up and he would make a play. Everyone else basically, you have to have a perfect ball for them to make a play.

This isn't terrible, but you need an elite QB for it to work. Even despite having good running backs such as Westbrook or Shady, Reid needs to adjust to make them just as important as his QB.

The Giants system doesn't require Eli to be perfect, by having physical receivers and a running game. That's why despite Eli's inconsistencies and other issues, he has two rings.

I think it's a result of the QB evolving from someone who distributes the ball to the guy who has to be the leader on the team and getting the spotlight and the gigantic contracts.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was beautiful.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this thread here?

Bird Watch: Mychal Kendricks
Tackles: 40 Sacks: 3 FF: 1 Interceptions: 0
Gmen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Giants receivers have turned routine receptions into big plays. But it's not like Eli is running some sort of conservative offense where he makes easy throws and takes undeserved credit. (That's Brady, Brees and Rivers, but I won't get into that.) In fact, it's just the opposite. Eli led the league in passing stats when throwing over 20 yards last year. So I disagree with the implication that Eli has it easy and has been lucky.

As a NFCE rival fan, I think you see only what you want to see. Case and point - Cruz's three drops last night. That's a different game if Cruz makes those receptions. And receivers mistakes cost us games last year. Cruz slipping at the five yard line during a game winning drive resulting in a pick six and victory by Seattle. Hakeem Nicks dropping a sure touchdown pass against the Redskins last year. In fact, receiver drops are something that have plagued the Giants. Last year Cruz, Nicks, Manningham and Ballard combined for 30 drops. I don't think you'll find a many worse receiving corps in terms of drops last season. In 2010, a good 7 or 8 interceptions were off the hands of the receivers.

Most of the time Eli puts the ball where it needs to be. Sometimes he makes a mistake and his receivers bail him out. Sometimes he makes a perfect pass and his receivers stink it up. At the end of the day it balances out. Because of this run and gun offense, Eli attempts more risky throws than most QBs in this league, and that's why his highs and lows are so pronounced.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
eaglesfan10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammertime52 wrote:
Why is this thread here?

QFT didn't know I was in the Giants Forum.
SiLo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaglesfan10 wrote:
Hammertime52 wrote:
Why is this thread here?

Me either, that said. I've always called Eli lucky. When his receivers aren't there to save him, he is terrible.

Bird Watch: Brandon Boykin
27 TACKLES 0 SACK 1 FF 2 INT
Meco

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth about Eli Manning? He's a great QB who displays great improvisational skills, can manage the pocket extremely well, isn't afraid to take risks and will always throw the ball out there to give his receivers a chance to make plays. And that's it. This post just reeks of hurt feelings.
ianlewis16

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the second i pick him in fantasy, he throws a stinker.

he hates me, thats the truth. plain and simple.

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bird Watch: Mychal Kendricks
Tackles: 40 Sacks: 3 FF: 1 Interceptions: 0
eaglefan#1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying Eli is a bum or completely lucky like a Tim Tebow, but like I said it's a team sport. The QB doesn't do everything on the field. The media acts like the QB's are the only thing that matters. I know Eli can make very good passes. But like I said you don't think that the additions of Cruz and the emergence of Nicks doesn't have anything to do with his breakout year?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blahman88

Location: Eagles Forum HOF + Gold Standard 2014, Bringer of the Cavalry
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaglefan#1 wrote:
I'm not saying Eli is a bum or completely lucky like a Tim Tebow, but like I said it's a team sport. The QB doesn't do everything on the field. The media acts like the QB's are the only thing that matters. I know Eli can make very good passes. But like I said you don't think that the additions of Cruz and the emergence of Nicks doesn't have anything to do with his breakout year?

Blasphemy

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammertime52 wrote:

I'm sitting in class and have a hard time not cracking Laughing

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
eagles91

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:
eaglesfan10 wrote:
Hammertime52 wrote:
Why is this thread here?

Me either, that said. I've always called Eli lucky. When his receivers aren't there to save him, he is terrible.

What? I could easily flip your argument by saying that Eli Manning's receivers sometimes drop passes, therefore subpar play by the receivers reflects poorly on Manning. What is it? Eli is lucky his receivers do their jobs and catch the football, or Eli is unlucky and his receivers drop balls sometimes? You could say the same about any QB. What you can't say about any QB is that they are elite game managers with championship intangibles. Both of which are irrefutably characterize Eli Manning, seeing as he successfully manages football games, and has 2 Superbowl rings and MVPs to his name.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: