Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking Ahead: 2013 NFL Prospects Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Is it too early to say that all the picks in this year's draft need to be on defense?

1st round - Safety (would Reid, Elam or Tony Jefferson fall this far?)
2nd - ILB
3rd - Defensive Lineman
4th - Cornerback
5th - Defensive Lineman
6th - OLB/DE
7th - Safety/CB

Right now Elam has been mentioned as a guy that goes in the 2nd to 3rd round in most of the mocks that I've seen him listed. Elam is my favorite safety in the draft. In terms of Reid... I think he's overrated. I don't see a first round safety in him at all. I wouldn't even want him in the 2nd round tbh. Haven't watched as much film on Jefferson.

But right now my ideal mock draft would look something like:
1. Dion Jordan, E.T., Oregon
2. Margus Hunt, DE, SMU/ Matt Elam, S, Florida
3. Alex Hurst, RT, LSU
4. Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama

... beyond that, well not sure. Johnson probably doesn't even fall to the 4th either.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think right now what matters is getting some quality back in our front 7. Too many guys are just not lifting their weight on this defense for it to be successful and it all starts up front IMO.

I don't know what we do at OLD going forward, but something has to happen. Obviously we've got Suggs coming back at some point, but otherwise we really need some guys who can get to the QB.
Upshaw might become really good at setting the edge, but from watching our games what we need the most is guys who can be a threat to the QB, which he is not and I don't think he will become.
I don't think Kruger or Kindle are kept after this year, maybe Kindle because he still has some potential and is cheap, but not Kruger. I really like the guy and want him to succeed, but I don't think he is the right player to move forward with. He is not contributing in a way that will justify the pay he's going to get as a senior player.

Whatever this means moving to a 4-3 defense at some point I don't know. On one hand it might make us get more beefy guys on the LOS, but it would require us to keep 3 LBers on the field and none of the guys we've got right now have the quality to do that. If I have to be frank the less McClain and Ellerbe are on the field the better, those guys are just so average.
But again it really starts up front. Hopefully Cody will get more and more playing time once Pees realize that Kemo is just garbage, but I'm done defending Pees and just plain tired of him already, so maybe not. We too need someone for the other DE spot in my opinion. McPhee has proven he's not effective in an expanded role and Art Jones is not good enough to warrant any sort of playing time as it is right now.

However what speaks most of our defensive trouble is the fact that right now we've made 12 sacks in 6 games. Our leading rusher is Ngata with 4 sacks followed by Dannell Ellerby with 3... The OLB with the most sacks is... Paul Kruger and Upshaw with 1 each... This is just plain terrible. No team is going to fear this defense until they can put some pressure on the QB. Period.

^Et billede siger mere end tusind ord!
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
How does one come across a few Iowa State games? I don't think I could find one if I wanted to. Thus I don't know much about Klein at all, but he's a guy I'll be looking into now.

They actually aren't bad, and I was able to catch them against Iowa, TCU, and K State on FOX.

Don't judge me Very Happy
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that wasn't what I was alluding to, I just haven't noticed any of their games being available on TV in my area. They've put out some NFL players over the years including the Ravens own Osemele so I don't doubt that they have good players.
drd23

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Is it too early to say that all the picks in this year's draft need to be on defense?

Close to it, but not quite. I think we might look at WR and maybe LT or LG depending on where the team sees the trio of Oher/KO/Reid playing in the future. If the O-line is realistically expected to be Oher-KO-Gradkowski-Yanda-Reid and there is no obvious situations where an OL prospect is the best available, then a WR might be the only offensive player we draft.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
Jamal55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we need is d-lineman.

Other than Ngata, I don't like anyone on the current d-line. Cody is a disappointment, Kemoeatu sucks, and McPhee is simply not a 3-4 DE.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cody is what he's supposed to be - a big block-occupying NT in a 3-4. Now that the defense is back to being entirely vanilla like it was under Mattison his effectiveness has taken a big hit since it doesn't take much to scheme against him. For some reason Kemoeatu has been playing way more snaps than Cody and he's been even worse. I don't think Maake has a future with the Ravens at all.

I'm much more worried about the way McPhee is playing. I agree that he's not a traditional 3-4 DE but what we've seen from the Ravens in the past is the spot that he plays is more like a 4-3 LE but under Pees it looks like they're using many more traditional 3-4 sets. Even when they're in a 4-man DL alignment he hasn't looked good though. I'll wait until we see what Pees status is next season before I look too heavily into DL prospects. They needs players to fit the scheme they will be using and it's hard to tell if Pees will be back or not.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I'll wait until we see what Pees status is next season before I look too heavily into DL prospects.

You are more optimistic than me. Harbaugh is never going to fire anyone and Pees is never going to be a head coach. Until Harbaugh gets fired, Cameron and Pees are most likely our coordinators.

Free Ray Rice
Jamal55

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
I'll wait until we see what Pees status is next season before I look too heavily into DL prospects.

You are more optimistic than me. Harbaugh is never going to fire anyone and Pees is never going to be a head coach. Until Harbaugh gets fired, Cameron and Pees are most likely our coordinators.

This is pretty much how I feel.

As long as we make the playoffs, I can't see Harbs firing anyone.

Which is why I'm saying we need to draft d-lineman. With the kind of vanilla D Pees runs, we'll need much more talent in the trenches if we want to stop the run.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamal55 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Which is why I'm saying we need to draft d-lineman. With the kind of vanilla D Pees runs, we'll need much more talent in the trenches if we want to stop the run.

I'm liking what I see/hear about Margus Hunt -- can maybe fill a Richard Seymour type role that Pees had in NE. I really think we need to solidify that DL and fill Redding's role. We had hope that McPhee/Jones would be able to fill it by committee, but we can see that the run defense is severely lacking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Ed Reed coming out and saying that he's suffering from a lingering injury (don't know if it's the same lingering injury as last year) I feel even more strongly that the Ravens need to draft a Safety high in this year's draft.

Reed is pretty beat up, and even though he's still one of the best Safeties in the league, he's going to keep on struggling from these injuries that limit him in certain ways.

And I reckon it's far easier to find a good DL or MLB than it is to find a good Safety. Hell, McClain and Ellerbe are pretty serviceable starters in my view, as long as the players around them are good enough.

So if some of the top Safeties in this draft class are likely to be available in the bottom half of the second round, then great. Otherwise, I'd really like the Ravens to go and get one of them in the first.

Then get a Linebacker or Defensive Lineman in the second.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
With Ed Reed coming out and saying that he's suffering from a lingering injury (don't know if it's the same lingering injury as last year) I feel even more strongly that the Ravens need to draft a Safety high in this year's draft.

Reed is pretty beat up, and even though he's still one of the best Safeties in the league, he's going to keep on struggling from these injuries that limit him in certain ways.

And I reckon it's far easier to find a good DL or MLB than it is to find a good Safety. Hell, McClain and Ellerbe are pretty serviceable starters in my view, as long as the players around them are good enough.

So if some of the top Safeties in this draft class are likely to be available in the bottom half of the second round, then great. Otherwise, I'd really like the Ravens to go and get one of them in the first.

Then get a Linebacker or Defensive Lineman in the second.

I disagree with this. If I'm going after a safety it's going to be clear cut BPA... and the only guy that I truly like is Florida's Matt Elam (early 2nd value IMO) and USC's TJ McDonald (early 2nd). I think most college safeties tend to be overrated due to having explosive front 7 units that make them look better than what they truly are. When I scout safeties I like to see incredible instincts mixed with great athleticism and physicality/toughness; I saw that with Earl Thomas and Eric Berry a few years ago and I saw it with Mark Barron coming out last year... but out of the safeties I've looked at so far, I either see lacking instincts or lacking athleticism (stiff hips, speed).. most seem to be willing to mix it up in the box though.

Other than the two names I listed above, I'd rather have impact ILBers at the end of the first round. We just selected an athletic safety with Christian Thompson and I'd rather see what he has to offer. We also proved that we could get by with simply replacing Reed with a Tom Zbikowksi... granted that was also with Chuck Pagano at secondary coach/DC, but hopefully Pees isn't the DC after this season.

You could obviously say we've also gotten by without Lewis, but Lewis also hasn't been playing at an elite level. Either way, this team most needs front 7 impact players IMO. The NFL is won in the trenches and honestly the safety is becoming one of the least valuable positions on the defense... it's awesome if you have an elite safety unit, but as you can see- we have that, yet that's still not helping our corners or our pass rush.

I think unquestionably, we should be looking for a stud 34 DE, an athletic edge threat, or a big impact ILB in this class. I'd put safety below LG and WR in terms of where I'd want us to spend our first round selection. It's just not going to have the same impact as a front 7 player.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I'm loving when watching their tape... that also tend to be a) senior impact players OR b) really advanced juniors that embody the Ravens toughness you look for... and if I see a comparison I'll throw it out there:

1. Dion Jordan = Jason Taylor (Dolphins). Tall, long, strong, physical, tough, and explosive. A guy this big shouldn't have this kind of versatility- but he does. He's a senior and is exactly the type of blue chip prospect I think the Ravens go after. He'd be a great edge threat.

2. Shayne Skov = Jerod Mayo (Patriots). Skov is built like a tank and is just so explosive. He's a seeking missile. He looks pretty good when matched up in man coverage against TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield. He's great blitzing inside. This guy is just an instinctive football player that's looking to hit the snot out of someone. And talk about attacking the LOS and you're talking about Skov.. he honestly might be the best ILB in this class, I'll need to watch more tape (on him and Mosley/Te'O) before I decide on that. He's also been the emotional leader of the Cardinals defense during his tenure there.Then there's the whole Harbaugh relationship in play here as well. Skov has the potential to be an elite ILB in the NFL. Obviously he hasn't been exactly the same player after he tore his ACL/MCL in 2011, but he should easily be fully rehabbed and at 100% by the time he enters the NFL.

3. Bjeorn Werner = Jared Crick (Texans- pre Nebraska injury). Like Crick, I think Werner has that combination of explosive ability, strength, and technique that would make him a very good LE in the NFL... that or if he bulks up enough could play as a 34 DE and be a poor man's JJ Watt. In the past the Ravens have run a less formal 34 system that has us utilize basically a two DT front with a 43 LE lined up... we've gone away from that this season, but we've done it so long you'd have to think it could make a return. Werner would be a perfect fit in that scheme. With Upshaw setting the edge and rushing the passer, Werner can be an explosive-disruptive element along the LOS.

4. Matt Elam = Troy Polamalu. Obviously he's no Troy, exactly... but Elam has tremendous instincts and is just incredibly physical as a safety. He has a stout build for his size, has the quickness you look for in a safety, nice deep and closing speed, nice ball skills, and great instincts. On tape he clearly looked like the most instinctive safety. He was also incredibly tough. Throwing his body into traffic with nearly no regard like you'd see from Lardarius Webb or Reed in his hey day. That said, I am afraid that he could end up being a bonehead on the field... sort of like a safety version of Bart Scott.

CJ Mosley and Manti Te'O are obviously other very good players. Along with TJ McDonald. Also not sure if Werner will be in our range or not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Jamal55 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

I'm liking what I see/hear about Margus Hunt -- can maybe fill a Richard Seymour type role that Pees had in NE. I really think we need to solidify that DL and fill Redding's role. We had hope that McPhee/Jones would be able to fill it by committee, but we can see that the run defense is severely lacking.

He looks like he could be a beast. He could probably add some weight to his frame and still be more than athletic enough to fill that role. He would be amazing to see at DE opposite Ngata.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team really needs to look at adding some talent to the ILB position. After looking at the other guys they have there on the roster I realized something. Besides Lewis all of the other ILBs were undrafted free agents. McClain, Ellerbe, Ayanbadejo, Bynes, and even McClellan if he gets some reps there. The team has tried to add some talent there in the past with the picks of Gooden and Phillips a few years ago but they've largely relied on Lewis being able to cover for the lack of talent next to him and as we've seen over the last season and a half that doesn't work anymore since he's declined quite a bit. Lewis isn't going to be any better coming back next year either.

This probably isn't anything new to anybody but I think the team will be really focused on adding a quality ILB prospect in this upcoming draft. That might not necessarily mean spending a first round pick on the position (Te'o) although I don't think it's out of the question either. Every year I'm always focused on one position more than the others and I think ILB will be the top candidate for this next draft. There are other obvious needs on defense and I would really like to see them add another pass-rusher regardless of how Suggs looks when he gets on the field but I'm really hoping for the team to take a serious look at an ILB in the top 3 rounds.

WHO'S WITH ME?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 4 of 38

Jump to: