Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking Ahead: 2013 NFL Prospects Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone like Jon Bostic so much? From what I've seen he looks awful. Wouldn't want the Ravens going anywhere near this guy before the 6th round or possibly the very late 5th. He doesn't attack the LOS very often and usually lets the play come to him. He's worse than all of the other ILB prospects I've seen as far as shedding blockers goes. As soon as someone touches him he's eliminated from the play. He isn't a good blitzer. He sometimes uses his shoulder to try to lay a big hit instead of simply wrapping up. He has decent speed, but nothing to wow you with. He'll have trouble covering the more athletic TEs and RBs. I just don't see what his strengths really are. The only few good things I see are he hustles every play until he hears the whistle, he will help his teammates make tackles, and he doesn't get pushed back by blockers very often, but he just can't escape them.

GO RAVENS!!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Why does everyone like Jon Bostic so much? From what I've seen he looks awful. Wouldn't want the Ravens going anywhere near this guy before the 6th round or possibly the very late 5th. He doesn't attack the LOS very often and usually lets the play come to him. He's worse than all of the other ILB prospects I've seen as far as shedding blockers goes. As soon as someone touches him he's eliminated from the play. He isn't a good blitzer. He sometimes uses his shoulder to try to lay a big hit instead of simply wrapping up. He has decent speed, but nothing to wow you with. He'll have trouble covering the more athletic TEs and RBs. I just don't see what his strengths really are. The only few good things I see are he hustles every play until he hears the whistle, he will help his teammates make tackles, and he doesn't get pushed back by blockers very often, but he just can't escape them.

I didn't know anyone liked him much. As of right now, I'd imagine most people would have him as a... 5th round ILB prospect, depending on how the ILB board falls in the draft.

But if you ask me would I rather overdraft Jon Bostic with a 4th round pick or overdraft Alec Ogletree with a 1st round pick, then you'd better believe that I'd be all over the latter all day every day. At least he still has better instincts for the position, hustles well, and doesn't possess the same level of character issues.

With him, I think his instincts are actually pretty darn solid, and I also found him to attack the LOS well... it's just that he takes some of the worst angles I've seen from a player. Now instincts and reaction time are kind of just something that need to 'click' on the football field, but taking angles I think can actually be coached on some level... so I think the upside for him to improve and present you the talent that you'd expect of say... a 2nd/3rd round pick might be pretty decent.

With Bostic you don't have to hate him for his flaws because you don't have to worry much about his bust effecting the team to highly. You just have to worry about him having aspects to his game that a great coaching staff can take advantage of... and I thought he had some likeable aspects. Above average speed, solid instincts, solid coverage... he kind of reminds of a Dannell Ellerbe kind of guy that can be above average to good... and that's not a bad linebacker to have.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:

I didn't know anyone liked him much. As of right now, I'd imagine most people would have him as a... 5th round ILB prospect, depending on how the ILB board falls in the draft.

But if you ask me would I rather overdraft Jon Bostic with a 4th round pick or overdraft Alec Ogletree with a 1st round pick, then you'd better believe that I'd be all over the latter all day every day. At least he still has better instincts for the position, hustles well, and doesn't possess the same level of character issues.

With him, I think his instincts are actually pretty darn solid, and I also found him to attack the LOS well... it's just that he takes some of the worst angles I've seen from a player. Now instincts and reaction time are kind of just something that need to 'click' on the football field, but taking angles I think can actually be coached on some level... so I think the upside for him to improve and present you the talent that you'd expect of say... a 2nd/3rd round pick might be pretty decent.

With Bostic you don't have to hate him for his flaws because you don't have to worry much about his bust effecting the team to highly. You just have to worry about him having aspects to his game that a great coaching staff can take advantage of... and I thought he had some likeable aspects. Above average speed, solid instincts, solid coverage... he kind of reminds of a Dannell Ellerbe kind of guy that can be above average to good... and that's not a bad linebacker to have.

Do you mean the former? From what followed that statement seems like you were saying you'd rather overdraft Bostic than Ogletree. As far as Bostic is concerned, I see a lot of people saying he's like a 3rd round possibly 4th round talent, but I just don't see it. Right now he's the lowest on my list, but I've only gone through Klein, Alonso, Bostic, Ogletree, Greene, Brown, Te'o, and Minter

GO RAVENS!!
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
he kind of reminds of a Dannell Ellerbe kind of guy that can be above average to good...

That's exactly how I feel about Bostic.

I'm kind of a Gators fan, and he was pretty much the Ray Lewis vocal leader type for that defense, so he probably rises up my board more than most others due to that bias.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:

Do you mean the former? From what followed that statement seems like you were saying you'd rather overdraft Bostic than Ogletree. As far as Bostic is concerned, I see a lot of people saying he's like a 3rd round possibly 4th round talent, but I just don't see it. Right now he's the lowest on my list, but I've only gone through Klein, Alonso, Bostic, Ogletree, Greene, Brown, Te'o, and Minter

Yup, definitely meant former.

And in terms of Bostic vs Alonso... I like them about the same. Alonso is just so thin... and while he's explosive, I don't like his speed. Once he adds the weight to his frame that you'd want him to have at the next level, his athleticism won't be the same... and he's just not quick enough with his frame to consistently allude blockers at the NFL level in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody else looked into Jonathan Cyprien? He's been getting some hype lately and I finally got around to watching some of his tape. I'm impressed. It seems like Florida International used him more as a guy that played closer to the LOS but covering slot receivers, TEs, or as a blitzer but he looked good when he was playing deep coverage too. The guy just flies to the football and looks like just as much of an asset in run-defense as he is defending the pass. If he was there in the second round I'm all for his name getting called (if Reed isn't with the team).
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Has anybody else looked into Jonathan Cyprien? He's been getting some hype lately and I finally got around to watching some of his tape. I'm impressed. It seems like Florida International used him more as a guy that played closer to the LOS but covering slot receivers, TEs, or as a blitzer but he looked good when he was playing deep coverage too. The guy just flies to the football and looks like just as much of an asset in run-defense as he is defending the pass. If he was there in the second round I'm all for his name getting called (if Reed isn't with the team).

DTMB is really high on him. I watched maybe a minute of tape on him, but was in the middle of something else. He looked intriguing, but I haven't since returned to looking at his tape.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

I've watched cut-ups of 3 of his games. In one game he seemed to play almost entirely as a centrerfielder, and the other 2 as a more in-the-box type safety that also lined up in man coverage of TEs ans slot WRs as you said. He seemed to do a decent job as the centerfielder but was late getting across to provide help on a couple of occasions iirc. He certainly loves to hit. That said, I struggle to "scout" safeties because they aren't on the screen more than half the time so I didn't really go that much further than that.

If he keeps getting the hype he's getting though, I doubt he'll be around by #64

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
alfalcone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are everyone's thoughts on Jonathan Cooper as a center in the first round. I don't think there would be a franchise tackle available at 32, but Cooper could be. Everything I've heard recently has Barrett Jones as a mid rounder, and I'm not sold on Travis Frederick. Assuming we can bring back McKinnie on a cheap deal, a line of:

McKinnie, KO, Cooper, Yanda, Oher could be quite strong. I know we have Gradkowski waiting in the wings, but though he has great technique, he still needs time in the weight room.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
I've watched cut-ups of 3 of his games. In one game he seemed to play almost entirely as a centrerfielder, and the other 2 as a more in-the-box type safety that also lined up in man coverage of TEs ans slot WRs as you said. He seemed to do a decent job as the centerfielder but was late getting across to provide help on a couple of occasions iirc. He certainly loves to hit. That said, I struggle to "scout" safeties because they aren't on the screen more than half the time so I didn't really go that much further than that.

If he keeps getting the hype he's getting though, I doubt he'll be around by #64

From what I've seen it looked like Cyprien was used closer to the LOS or as a deep cover guy depending on the situation. On obvious passing downs or late game situations he was used more in the center fielder role and other times he was closer to the LOS. I think he has the range and athleticism to play the deep end for the majority of the time he just has a little developing left to do. I would still feel comfortable with him as a starter if Reed wasn't on the team though.

I agree with your last couple of points. To me safeties are the hardest position on defense to get a feel for. They have so many different roles and like you said a lot of the footage available for us to see cuts them out of the screen sometimes. Cyprien could easily be taken before 64, although with this deeper class there's a shot some teams needing help at that position wait a bit later. The hype he's getting could be all smoke too. I'm hoping that Reed is back with the Ravens so they don't have to make a decision like this. Laughing

alfalcone wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on Jonathan Cooper as a center in the first round. I don't think there would be a franchise tackle available at 32, but Cooper could be. Everything I've heard recently has Barrett Jones as a mid rounder, and I'm not sold on Travis Frederick. Assuming we can bring back McKinnie on a cheap deal, a line of:

McKinnie, KO, Cooper, Yanda, Oher could be quite strong. I know we have Gradkowski waiting in the wings, but though he has great technique, he still needs time in the weight room.

I like Cooper but I don't think the interior OL needs to be addressed early on at all. With Osemele and Yanda at G I think Gradkowski would have all the support needed next to him even if he has some growing pains left.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

Are you talking about Jonathan Cooper from UNC?

I think he's exclusively a G, and a very highly regarded one, if we're thinking of the same guy. So highly regarded, in fact, that I doubt he falls out of the top 20 or so picks....and I see no scenario in which we trade up for another interior lineman.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

I think we can find much better value at more important positions than center at #32. I'd rather stick with Gino or if we want competition, grab another late round guy who could maybe convert. But I'm not a fan of grabbing one at #32.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Ravens fans.

We're voting for the Ravens pick at 32 in the Draft Section. Your thoughts and votes will be much appreciated.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15740057#15740057

Cheers

GFW
drd23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of interesting little tidbits about a couple of players that might be in consideration at #32:

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6794
Quote:
Word circulating in downtown Indianapolis this evening is Jarvis Jones/OLB/Georgia could make a DaQuan Bowers type drop in the draft due to his medical issues. Many who have spoken with Jones tell us he seems resigned to the fact he’s likely to drop.

Quote:
To expand on a post from yesterday, we’ve been hearing since October that Sam Montgomery/DE/LSU was not receiving rave reviews from his college coaches. More to the point I was told the LSU coaches have been slamming him. Montgomery’s attitude and personality did not sat well with a number of his former teammates or coaches.

Quote:
Keep this in the back of your mind; Arthur Brown/LB/Kansas State has a shoulder “issue” that bears watching. It specifically kept him from participating in the Senior Bowl.

Quote:
Despite the fact DeAndre Hopkins/WR/Clemson has looked terrific catching the ball he’s unlikely to break the 4.5-second barrier on Sunday and won’t be graded as a first round pick.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
A couple of interesting little tidbits about a couple of players that might be in consideration at #32:

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6794
Quote:
Word circulating in downtown Indianapolis this evening is Jarvis Jones/OLB/Georgia could make a DaQuan Bowers type drop in the draft due to his medical issues. Many who have spoken with Jones tell us he seems resigned to the fact he’s likely to drop.

Quote:
To expand on a post from yesterday, we’ve been hearing since October that Sam Montgomery/DE/LSU was not receiving rave reviews from his college coaches. More to the point I was told the LSU coaches have been slamming him. Montgomery’s attitude and personality did not sat well with a number of his former teammates or coaches.

Quote:
Keep this in the back of your mind; Arthur Brown/LB/Kansas State has a shoulder “issue” that bears watching. It specifically kept him from participating in the Senior Bowl.

Quote:
Despite the fact DeAndre Hopkins/WR/Clemson has looked terrific catching the ball he’s unlikely to break the 4.5-second barrier on Sunday and won’t be graded as a first round pick.

Please let Hopkins have a bad 40 so teams will shy away and he ends up falling to our 2nd round pick...PLEASE Pray (kind of wishful thinking but anything can happen)

I'm surprised though. I definitely thought he'd be a 4.3/4.4 type guy. He looks very fast in games. I don't care though. I've watched his tape and I know the guy can get up and down the field vertically and can pluck the ball out the air like Q. The guy can play.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 23 of 38

Jump to: