Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mendenhall a possibility to play on gameday?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
Mendy doesn't get a lot of love from Steelers fan for what ever reason, but I think he's fully healed. Holding him out would serve what purpose if almost every body wants Dwyer and Redman to start? I'd say give him 5-10 carries and see where it goes from there. There is only one way to test his injury and that's by playing not by sitting for 1-8 wks. I hope Mendy goes crazy this year.

What has he ever done to get alot of love?

Seriously...answer me that.

Survived and got decent yardage behind an OL that was for most of his career one of the worst in the league. OC /QB was equally as bad for a RB. He hasn't produced like players that get the accolades, but might this year once he gets healthy. Not Franco or the Bus, but not Foster either. It will be different with the new OC and OL if the OL is going to play well.

To anyone, who would have produced good numbers with the OL of years past?

If the OL plays to potential in the running game, I am seeing 5 ypc with any of the backs possibly more since teams don't play the run like they did way back. Mendy could have a few break away runs as well which could bring up the average, but maybe he has lost speed.

Gang up on the run, get burned by Wallace deep. Sounds like a double edged sword that we have been waiting for.

Im not saying Mendenhall is a bad player by any means, but he hasnt been anything special and doesnt really deserve more love than he gets. Most Steeler fans seem to think he is an average to good talent, and to this point, thats all he has ever proven to be.

Thats why I asked, what has he ever done to deserve more love than that?
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
3rivers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
Mendy doesn't get a lot of love from Steelers fan for what ever reason, but I think he's fully healed. Holding him out would serve what purpose if almost every body wants Dwyer and Redman to start? I'd say give him 5-10 carries and see where it goes from there. There is only one way to test his injury and that's by playing not by sitting for 1-8 wks. I hope Mendy goes crazy this year.

Survived and got decent yardage behind an OL that was for most of his career one of the worst in the league. OC /QB was equally as bad for a RB. He hasn't produced like players that get the accolades, but might this year once he gets healthy. Not Franco or the Bus, but not Foster either. It will be different with the new OC and OL if the OL is going to play well.

If the OL plays to potential in the running game, I am seeing 5 ypc with any of the backs possibly more since teams don't play the run like they did way back. Mendy could have a few break away runs as well which could bring up the average, but maybe he has lost speed.

Gang up on the run, get burned by Wallace deep. Sounds like a double edged sword that we have been waiting for.

Im not saying Mendenhall is a bad player by any means, but he hasnt been anything special and doesnt really deserve more love than he gets. Most Steeler fans seem to think he is an average to good talent, and to this point, thats all he has ever proven to be.

That run in OT playing the Falcons 1st game of the 2010 season to cement the win was pretty nice! Very Happy But, no, Mendy hasn't quite lived up to expectations as of yet. He's a good RB, but nothing mind blowing to date.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d81a76d0a/Mendenhall-scores-walk-off-TD

Here's a question. Will Mendy know what to do w/ a FB?

Anyway, for selfish reasons, I'd love to see him play some this week, even if only for 5-8 touches, just to get back into the feel of the game. But we have enough guys in the "stable" to have a RBBC for a few games until Mendy is 100%. This is by far the deepest we've been at the RB position for some time. Batch and Rainey have yet to see regular season playing time, but w/ Dwyer, Redman, and now Mendy "healthy", we are in pretty good shape IMO.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
3rivers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

That run in OT playing the Falcons 1st game of the 2010 season to cement the win was pretty nice! Very Happy But, no, Mendy hasn't quite lived up to expectations as of yet. He's a good RB, but nothing mind blowing to date.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d81a76d0a/Mendenhall-scores-walk-off-TD

Anyway, for selfish reasons, I'd love to see him play some this week, even if only for 5-8 touches, just to get back into the feel of the game. But we have enough guys in the "stable" to have a RBBC for a few games until Mendy is 100%. This is by far the deepest we've been at the RB position for some time. Batch and Rainey have yet to see regular season playing time, but w/ Dwyer, Redman, and now Mendy "healthy", we are in pretty good shape IMO.

Pretty much textbook blocking as well....rare from our line, and nice cut by Mendy, but not an overly impressive run.

And no, its not hating or discrediting Mendy. Ive seen him make more impressive runs. The only reason I think that looks more impressive is because of what it meant in the game.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just joshing with ya, 43M but yeah I think most of us are just excited to see what all players can do under Haley that they may or may not have done with Arians.

However I got the feeling Mendenhall wants to play sooner and badly because it may be his payday when the end of season come. He's hungry, anybody got snickers?!
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendenhall's skillset is wild. If he could get it into his head that he needs to run forward and has some blocking (which I think would have helped the first issue all along) he could be Top 5-10 in the league and could be a special player.

Well, pre knee injury anyway, need to see if/how that's affected him.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or is the position to be most worried about is MLB? Sylvester and Foote are hurt and not sure if they'll play and Spence is on IR. Thinking we might see some Brandon Johnson and Timmons. Anyone else?
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Ward4HOF wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
3rivers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Pretty much textbook blocking as well....rare from our line, and nice cut by Mendy, but not an overly impressive run.

And no, its not hating or discrediting Mendy. Ive seen him make more impressive runs. The only reason I think that looks more impressive is because of what it meant in the game.

Absolutely. He's had some pretty good runs in his short career. I just used this as an excuse to link/watch the video again...I was so pumped after that play!!

I know you aren't discrediting him at all...you've defended him on many occasion...and rightfully so.

Mendy could easily be a top 5-7 back in this league if he comes back healthy and fully recovered. Many (not Steeler fans, mind you) feel that Mendy isn't anything special, but put Foster, MJD, Rice, CJ, etc. behind our "patchwork" lines over the last 3-4 yrs and doubt you'd see much better results. (Complete speculation on my part, of course)

RBs like AP, Shady, and Jamaal Charles, however, IMO, are more "special" overall, I think.

Anyway, I wouldn't want Mendy rushed too quickly, but if he's cleared to play, than I'm all for him playing for a few snaps a game.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
3rivers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
3rivers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

That run in OT playing the Falcons 1st game of the 2010 season to cement the win was pretty nice! Very Happy

so was the block that Flo made on the play which was real football. I liked the way the team played at the beginning of 2010 since ben was not there. They ran the ball with meaning and I hope they do that this year. We will find out if it is arians or ben to blame for that offense of the past

But, no, Mendy hasn't quite lived up to expectations as of yet. He's a good RB, but nothing mind blowing to date.

I agree with this from a statistical point of view only. He never has had an average OL never mind a good one or even a healthy one. Be careful with throwing the L word out there. Some here might have thought the L word for Foster, but look at the OL he had. Mendy could have a good year, but lets see how the knee is.

Or a real OC? A real OL? What if he does? This is another part of the offense that has us waiting, because it could be another step up over the previous system.

Anyway, for selfish reasons, I'd love to see him play some this week, even if only for 5-8 touches, just to get back into the feel of the game.

bust a few for the distance and get out of the game sounds about right. Quiet down all the critics in the process

But we have enough guys in the "stable" to have a RBBC for a few games until Mendy is 100%. This is by far the deepest we've been at the RB position for some time. Batch and Rainey have yet to see regular season playing time, but w/ Dwyer, Redman, and now Mendy "healthy", we are in pretty good shape IMO.

While I am at this, I am going to voice disdain towards everyone for not addressing the OL's impact on Mendy thus far. Why does it have to be me that does this? Think of it this way:
If foster ran for over 1600 yards with 8 man fronts in a run first offense, what could mendy do with a comparable OL in todays game with the receivers and QB this team has. IOW, that shows how putrid the run blocking has been in recent years. IF ( I know "if") this OL is close to the OL mentioned in this comparison, it could be a huge year for Mendy and the L word could make sense.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Survive be misused like a lot of players on the offense outside of M. Wallace. Mendy's ability to be a dual RB has be severly hampered by the OC in ability to get his backs the ball out of the backfield. A player doesn't score 30 TDs in 3 season not being a good back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Is it just me or is the position to be most worried about is MLB? Sylvester and Foote are hurt and not sure if they'll play and Spence is on IR. Thinking we might see some Brandon Johnson and Timmons. Anyone else?
I agree, well the Ilb and OT positions scare me. Like the other thread Was saying, Starks coming off the acl vs Dumerville scares the bejesus outa me and Miller vs Gilbert is a mismatch as well.

The steelers really have to be able to run the ball with Redman and Dwyer in this game, I honestly think the broncos are going weak vs the run this year and the steelers have the opportunity to be very strong but they must commit to the run more. Something Arians never did
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
While I am at this, I am going to voice disdain towards everyone for not addressing the OL's impact on Mendy thus far. Why does it have to be me that does this? Think of it this way:
If foster ran for over 1600 yards with 8 man fronts in a run first offense, what could mendy do with a comparable OL in todays game with the receivers and QB this team has. IOW, that shows how putrid the run blocking has been in recent years. IF ( I know "if") this OL is close to the OL mentioned in this comparison, it could be a huge year for Mendy and the L word could make sense.

We basically have the same OL we had last year because of Decastro's injury. I see no difference really.

I think Mendy is a good not great running back, but I'm with you that is usually a product of the OL. To be a great running back you need a great OL and the steelers have not had that since Bettis retired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Survive be misused like a lot of players on the offense outside of M. Wallace. Mendy's ability to be a dual RB has be severly hampered by the OC in ability to get his backs the ball out of the backfield. A player doesn't score 30 TDs in 3 season not being a good back.

I agree with that....but that doesnt really mean he deserves more love than he gets. Alot of his issues are on him. He is indecisive and has poor vision, which hurts him on this team. I do think overall, he is our most talented back, but he still hasnt proven to be anything special.

Thats what Im referring to. Could he be better? Sure, but until he proves he is, calling him a solid or good back is about as much love as he really deserves. I dont think he has been used to his full capabilities either, but I also think alot of his issues are his own, not just OLine or playcalling issues.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

I agree with that....but that doesnt really mean he deserves more love than he gets. Alot of his issues are on him. He is indecisive and has poor vision, which hurts him on this team. I do think overall, he is our most talented back, but he still hasnt proven to be anything special.

Thats what Im referring to. Could he be better? Sure, but until he proves he is, calling him a solid or good back is about as much love as he really deserves. I dont think he has been used to his full capabilities either, but I also think alot of his issues are his own, not just OLine or playcalling issues.

The lack of vision argument is a complete farce. The blocking has never been there on a consistent basis, so finding holes were hard to come by. His lack of vision was him missing a hole or a cutback lane, block, not recognizing coverage or a blitz? I mean vision can constitute a lot of things and I think fans use that as a excuse to downplay what Mendy has done with a lack thereof.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: