Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

H.O.T. IV: Training Camp in Full Swing!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imani

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm Smith: Now or never

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/5/5/4298846/malcolm-smith-progress-report

Quote:
The 2013 off-season has certainly been good to Malcolm Smith. Leroy Hill is out, no free agent WLBs were signed, and none of Seattle's eleven draft picks were used on the position either. I'm excited for him. Korey Toomer and Mike Morgan are the only returning Seahawks likely to challenge Smith for the starting job and both players have mostly been featured at SLB. John Lotulelei and Craig Wilkins were signed as UDFAs this year but the likelihood of them starting week one seems remote. Allen Bradford is another darkhorse candidate.

Malcolm Smith is entering his third season and is the only Seahawk with professional experience playing WLB. He's mostly played special teams in his first two seasons. He rotated through at WLB in 2011 and started three games for an injured Leroy Hill in 2012, playing most of the second Niners game as well.

Smith has some really impressive measurables, despite playing a bit undersized at around 6-0 230. At his pro day coming out of college he ran a 4.45 40 time, benched 225 lbs 28 times, and registered a 39" vertical.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Malcolm Smith: Now or never

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/5/5/4298846/malcolm-smith-progress-report

Quote:
The 2013 off-season has certainly been good to Malcolm Smith. Leroy Hill is out, no free agent WLBs were signed, and none of Seattle's eleven draft picks were used on the position either. I'm excited for him. Korey Toomer and Mike Morgan are the only returning Seahawks likely to challenge Smith for the starting job and both players have mostly been featured at SLB. John Lotulelei and Craig Wilkins were signed as UDFAs this year but the likelihood of them starting week one seems remote. Allen Bradford is another darkhorse candidate.

Malcolm Smith is entering his third season and is the only Seahawk with professional experience playing WLB. He's mostly played special teams in his first two seasons. He rotated through at WLB in 2011 and started three games for an injured Leroy Hill in 2012, playing most of the second Niners game as well.

Smith has some really impressive measurables, despite playing a bit undersized at around 6-0 230. At his pro day coming out of college he ran a 4.45 40 time, benched 225 lbs 28 times, and registered a 39" vertical.

I hope he wins the job - I'm a big Korey Toomer fan but Smith makes the most sense. As others have pointed out it's not like the position is a linchpin for our defense but we need someone there who can hold his own. I would think if they didn't have faith in Smith they would have at least signed someone to compete with him. It does seem like we lack depth at the position which is worrisome. There are still some veteran FA options but it seems like they are happy with what they have. Just gotta hope we get lucky with injuries I guess.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
SoS

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect to see a LOT more Nickel/Dime defenses this season. The team has to be more comfortable with Winfield out there acting as a coverage man and 3rd LB so we can combat these teams that are putting 3+ WRs out there nearly every play. Also expecting to see more Bandit defense with 3 safeties now that Winston Guy is fully healthy.

I personally don't feel Malcolm Smith is reliable enough to be a "starter", but based on the amount of snaps I expect him to see he'll probably actually be an upgrade over Leroy.
imani

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
I expect to see a LOT more Nickel/Dime defenses this season. The team has to be more comfortable with Winfield out there acting as a coverage man and 3rd LB so we can combat these teams that are putting 3+ WRs out there nearly every play. Also expecting to see more Bandit defense with 3 safeties now that Winston Guy is fully healthy.

I personally don't feel Malcolm Smith is reliable enough to be a "starter", but based on the amount of snaps I expect him to see he'll probably actually be an upgrade over Leroy.

Didnt we kind of feel the same way about Chancellor after his rookie season?

SoS

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
SoS wrote:

I have no idea. I assume you mean after his first year starting. I said that Kam was the better of our 2 safeties (since admitted I was wrong there, at least if Kam is playing 2012 Kam) and that he could do it all. Not sure how you felt Laughing
imani

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
imani wrote:
SoS wrote:

I have no idea. I assume you mean after his first year starting. I said that Kam was the better of our 2 safeties (since admitted I was wrong there, at least if Kam is playing 2012 Kam) and that he could do it all. Not sure how you felt Laughing

Oh, no, i meant after Kam's rookie year. I feel like we can play madlib with "smith" and "leroy" in last your sentence, and replace them with "chancellor" and "milloy". What i mean is, he'll succeed as the starter (most likely) but i think there is a lot of boom potential there...i just remember everyone being just as unsure about kam after he played special teams and a lot of "3rd safety" that year. If he can apply the know how, like kam did, he has every physical tool to succeed. I don't know if wecan say Hill had the same type of influence Milloy had though, besides "you wanna hit this, man?" Laughing Laughing

Last edited by imani on Mon May 06, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoS

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, my concerns with Malcolm as a starter have less to do with what he brings on the football field and more to do with the fact that he can't seem to consistently stay on the football field. He's a smaller guy that has a known injury history, I just hope the team isn't counting on him to be THE guy. There needs to be a secure backup plan there, whether that's moving Irvin to SLB or whatever.

As far as Kam was concerned, I personally loved him as a prospect coming out of Va Tech and thought he easily could have started year 1, so I wasn't really concerned seeing him thrown in there year 2.
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
SoS wrote:
imani wrote:
SoS wrote:

oh, no, i meant after Kam's rookie year. I feel like you could have played madlib with "smith" and "leroy" in last sentence, and replace them with "chancellor" and "milloy". What i mean is, he'll succeed as the starter (most likely) but i think there is a lot of boom potential there...i remember everyone being just as unsure about kam after he played special teams and a lot of "3rd safety" that year

I wasn't unsure Cool

Seriously though, Malcolm Smith has played some good football when he was on the field. Remember that KJ can slide over and play there in a pinch if a pass rushing SLB is on the field. I don't expect Malcolm to get as many reps as Bobby Wagner or even KJ Wright.
SoS

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
I don't expect Malcolm to get as many reps as Bobby Wagner or even KJ Wright.

Well obviously not, I don't even think that's a question. Malcolm Smith is, at best, a 2-down LB that is going to be constantly rotated in and out when we bring in different packages. I won't be at all surprised if Winfield has more snaps then he does at essentially the same position (I get that it's two completely different positions, hopefully ya'll understand what I'm saying though).
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Tooki wrote:
I don't expect Malcolm to get as many reps as Bobby Wagner or even KJ Wright.

Well obviously not, I don't even think that's a question. Malcolm Smith is, at best, a 2-down LB that is going to be constantly rotated in and out when we bring in different packages. I won't be at all surprised if Winfield has more snaps then he does at essentially the same position (I get that it's two completely different positions, hopefully ya'll understand what I'm saying though).

I understand and I agree completely. I don't doubt that Pete is willing to put Antoine out there more often because he is such a great tackler and strong in the run game. As you said before, I expect to see a lot more of the bandit package with Winston Guy or even Antoine himself. Kam is dominant in that package.
imani

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, i don't think it would matter who was playing WLB, because the position itself won't see the field much

SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus trufant signed with the jags - too bad but hell always be a Seahawk
SoS

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 24th Birthday to FS Earl Thomas
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
Happy to see him get signed. It's pretty awesome all three Trufant boys will be in the NFL this year. I wonder how many times that's happened.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
Happy to see him get signed. It's pretty awesome all three Trufant boys will be in the NFL this year. I wonder how many times that's happened.

This is the 9th time, the most recent was 2011 with the gronkowski brothers.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 64 of 100

Jump to: