You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Jennings discusses contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Skeet wrote:
So if Greg walks, whats the odds of him going to Minny?

I wouldnt complain. Jennings probably has a good 3-4 years left before he starts to decline. Harvin and Jennings together would certainly be interesting.

What kind of deal would most expect Jennings to get? I guess it largely depends on if he hits the open market. We saw last year what a top 10 WR in there late 20s can make on the open market (Vincent Jackson to TB for 5 yrs, $55M, and $25M guaranteed). Jennings would probably be smart to hit the open market and try and get a deal like that.

I don't see why we couldn't afford a deal like that or even a bit more expensive, considering his extension was basically a three year contract with $26.35 Million(16 guaranteed iirc?). We have 11 million extra, three more to Greg per year or a front loaded contract ala the one Rodgers signed in 2008 just before the deadline.

Personally I think Finley and Raji are out after their contracts unless they don't expect ridiculous money, to me they are a tier below the rest of our players we need to resign. Not to mention I think TE's are replaceable(especially in MM's offense) and the fact Pickett can shift to NT in our base defense.
I certianly hope not! Not easy to find a Raji. You dont get big boy's who can move like that every draft. He can get after the QB, and we, of any team should know how hard it is to get quality D-lineman with guys like Harrell, Neal, Wynn, Wilson ect. never developing into any real pass rush threat. Plus Pickett is no spring chicken anymore, he certianly isn't the long term replacement answer to Raji.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickett can play quality NT for 4-5 more years(he is 32 and i think those body types can play into their late 30s). Raji wasn't very good last year, very little pressure on the QB and got blown off the line quite a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have plenty of faith in Raji. Let's see how he looks overall this year when he isn't playing a stupid % of the defensive snaps. DL is one place where you get more mileage out of rotation, and there wasn't any rotation for him last year. Now, I think GB really can rotate 5, maybe 6 deep on the DL in different packages.

If it came down to it I'd rather keep Raji than either Jennings or Finley. With solid blocking and a QB like Rodgers, the number of good weapons is more important. If you go 5 WR and 2-3 TE/RBs deep as viable receiving targets, guys like Jordy Nelson, James Jones, and DJ Williams can make plays, even without a guy like Jennings or Finley out there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
I still have plenty of faith in Raji. Let's see how he looks overall this year when he isn't playing a stupid % of the defensive snaps.

If it came down to it I'd rather keep Raji than either Jennings or Finley.

I agree, but only if Raji plays as he did in 2010. It wasn't just the lack of a rotation though - Raji was one of the players that Rodgers was talking about that came in out of shape and lackadaisical after the lock out(I think at least).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
spilltray wrote:
I still have plenty of faith in Raji. Let's see how he looks overall this year when he isn't playing a stupid % of the defensive snaps.

I agree, but only if Raji plays as he did in 2010. It wasn't just the lack of a rotation though - Raji was one of the players that Rodgers was talking about that came in out of shape and lackadaisical after the lock out(I think at least).

In that situation though, even some guys who mean well and think they are trying aren't going to do all the right things. Something like the lockout last year is going to cause things like that. From everything I've heard this year it wasn't a problem at all. It might have been a combination but one aberration of a season with a lockout for a big guy isn't going to scare me away. A ton of these interior DL don't really click until they are more than a couple years in. It's a slow transitioning position. Raji has done well to this point and even if this season is somewhere between his best of 2010 and his worst of 2011, I'm happy with the progress.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love people who say "Raji is a shell of himself."

A shell? He has been in the league for 3 years! This is going on #4. How can you possibly say he's a "shell" of anything?! He hasn't even peaked yet!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this the problem of basically not addressing offense through the draft. I don't care how young we or how talented we are. Everybody gets older (not nessecarily a bad thing to a point) and everybody gets more expensive. I hope Cobb turns into a viable receiver. Guys are going to leave. Guys are going to get injured. Jennings might walk. We didn't do enough in the draft to address the offense this year so that we're set in the future. Of course I could be dead wrong.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
ugLymayNe wrote:
spilltray wrote:

In that situation though, even some guys who mean well and think they are trying aren't going to do all the right things. Something like the lockout last year is going to cause things like that. From everything I've heard this year it wasn't a problem at all. It might have been a combination but one aberration of a season with a lockout for a big guy isn't going to scare me away. A ton of these interior DL don't really click until they are more than a couple years in. It's a slow transitioning position. Raji has done well to this point and even if this season is somewhere between his best of 2010 and his worst of 2011, I'm happy with the progress.
I have been disappointed in Raji since last season, but he's still a physical rarity and his best years are still a couple years ahead of him.

I'm optimistic things can work out but my odd one out is Finley.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
Pickett can play quality NT for 4-5 more years(he is 32 and i think those body types can play into their late 30s). Raji wasn't very good last year, very little pressure on the QB and got blown off the line quite a bit.

Raji isn't going anywhere. You greatly under appreciate what he brings to the table and I fully expect him to be at a Pro Bowl level of rushing the passer now that he won't be playing more than 85% of our snaps.

Fresh legs mean a ton.

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:
Dunderhead wrote:
Yeah, I'd kinda watch the "new money" argument. I dunno how much water it'll carry. Sure, the cap goes up (though I didn't think it was 20% I thought it was much less), but so does the floor on the cap. So teams will now be forced to spend all their money (or 95%).

It's too early to say what that will do to star player money, good player money, and jobber money (vet min.). It could just mean good players now see more or more players make good player money. But the NFL has always had a lot of disparity with wages between stars and even good players.

The one thing I know I don't wanna see is TT doing Sherman-esque contracts hoping for TV that may or may not come. Then seeing groomed talent leave for other teams. If that means a Jennings has to go, so be it. The Steelers didn't fold up because Santonio Holmes left, or Joey Porter... Sometimes good players leave - it's the business end.

I'm afraid the cap floor is going to completely ruin the game. If you have to spend 95% of the cap there will be no room for play. You HAVE to give players deals they aren't worth one year to hit the 95% and then you are going to HAVE to cut them in order to fit the people you really want to resign the next year if you have a couple blue chip free agents. It's gonna be one giant clusterphuck of salary cap casualties each year and hurt the midlevel veterans that this CBA was supposed to be looking out for. It's stupid and I'd almost guarantee it was D. Smith's idea although I have no idea really whose it was in reality.

I totally see what you're saying... BUT! I kinda like the idea of shaking up the rules a little. This will come off as arrogant, but right now the Pack front office is killing it and there seems a pretty big disparity between the haves and have nots.

It's not just TT and Ball and the front office has done spectacular jobs with talent and keeping it under contract. That's great, but our coaches are really good too. I guess I'd like a little more parity... Even out the playing field.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I say some people mentioning that we had 11.5 or so left in the cap here is a list just released, showing us at 6.9. Not a big deal but not as much money to work with as thought.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/08/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-september-7/
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I wanted to add to the above would be I think resinging Jennings comes down to Finley. I think first and foremost if Finely stinks it up again, or at least fails to live up the hype and thus the money he will be cut and not see his big money. Then we turn around and pay Jennings the money that Finley would have been set to make. If Finley plays well, then maybe they could cut Jones, and Driver is as good as gone at this point. So that frees up five million or so to give to Jennings. I know that we have to think about CM3, I think that Raji can wait one more year after his up and down play. Woodsons pay cut and maybe cutting Kuhn or even Bush might be enough to free up that money. Just a quick mourning rant though.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jennings wants Fitz money he can take a hike.

Finley, Raji, Clay, and Rodgers are much higher up my list of concerns right now than Jennings.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
If Jennings wants Fitz money he can take a hike.

Finley, Raji, Clay, and Rodgers are much higher up my list of concerns right now than Jennings.

You would take Finley over Jennings right now? I would not. Jennings is a top five WR in the NFL without a doubt, Finley is barely a top ten TE right now. If Finley plays up to the hype then maybe there is a tough choice to be made by TT, and company, but right I see it as a very easy choice.
chucknorris101

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people are so pessimistic. Havent 5-6 years of Ted taught you anything yet? he keeps his core guys. end of story.

theres plenty of leftover money this year for an extension/new contract, and there will be money coming off the books with driver/woodson and others after this year. Then 2014 comes TV money and literally oceans of unused cash.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: