Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith (CAR) HOF receivers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowerElite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum needs to stop talking about the hall of fame worthiness of guys that played in the damn 1970's in comparison to more recent players who have yet to get in.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
^^^ Nobody can get in by those standards alone today. Swann can have the same impact today and he'd never be considered. I understand why he would be in at that time, but nobody can use the Swann argument today.

I agree.

BUT, I think a player either has to have crazy stats or very good stats and some memorable moments to get in to the HOF.

At this point, I dont see what gets Wayne or Smith in. Neither really stick out for any reason at this point.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
There is abssolutely nothing memorable about Reggie Wayne or Steve Smith at this time, so unless they have some career defining moments or just put up monster stats in their last few years, they are unlikely to make it.

I'd argue that Smitty is pretty well known for his toughness - guy is 5' 9" 185 lbs, but plays like he's 6' 3" 220. I'm not saying it's the golden ticket into Canton, but has to be figured into his candidacy.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
bbllstr22

Location: Hell. The only place where the devil's advocate can reside.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Reggie Wayne won't retire with a solid stat line?
He has 862 receptions (16th); 11,708 yards (22nd); 73 TDs (30th).
I'm going to project his next 3 seasons with an arbitrary average of 80 receptions, 1100 yards, and 5 TDs.

This year: 942 receptions (12th); 12,808 yards (14th); 78 TDs (23rd)
Next year: 1022 receptions (8th); 13,908 yards (8th); 83 TDs (20th)
Following year: 1102 receptions (3rd); 15,008 yards (4th); 88 TDs (11th)

I'll count that as his retiring stats, after year 3 he'll be 36 and just about done, minus maybe a garbage year or two. But these numbers should reflect the drop off as they're all well below his average seasonal stats as a starter, even with the supposedly reliable Andrew Luck as his QB. So likely they'll be higher but this is just an example of his possible ending numbers.

My question is, if these are his final numbers, how can you not put him in the HOF?
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both should make it. Not first ballot by ANY means. But they have been great year in and year out and have always been consistant stars.

mike23md on the sig!
DannyB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my mind, absolutely not. No way. Neither strikes me as the kind of transcendental player that the Hall should be reserved for. They're both great players, but not players that professional football should be compelled to memorialize as legends of the game.

Hall of Famers shouldn't simply be players that were among the best at their position of their time. They should be players that are without a doubt head and shoulders above their peers, and define the position during their era.

I will say this, however: Steve Smith probably has Hall of Fame worthy talent, but unfortunately doesn't have a Hall of Fame worthy career.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbllstr22 wrote:
So Reggie Wayne won't retire with a solid stat line?
He has 862 receptions (16th); 11,708 yards (22nd); 73 TDs (30th).
I'm going to project his next 3 seasons with an arbitrary average of 80 receptions, 1100 yards, and 5 TDs.

This year: 942 receptions (12th); 12,808 yards (14th); 78 TDs (23rd)
Next year: 1022 receptions (8th); 13,908 yards (8th); 83 TDs (20th)
Following year: 1102 receptions (3rd); 15,008 yards (4th); 88 TDs (11th)

I'll count that as his retiring stats, after year 3 he'll be 36 and just about done, minus maybe a garbage year or two. But these numbers should reflect the drop off as they're all well below his average seasonal stats as a starter, even with the supposedly reliable Andrew Luck as his QB. So likely they'll be higher but this is just an example of his possible ending numbers.

My question is, if these are his final numbers, how can you not put him in the HOF?

I don't know if you can bank on that. Especially if the Colts draft high next year for a new #1 WR for Luck to have. I mean the hypothetical is impressive.
D0 TH3 D3W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Wayne has a resurgence with Luck at QB, I think he has a shot.

RIP Joe Pa
timid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're watching the Colts game today...Reggie Wayne is showing you why he'll be in the HOF...Man has made 4 ridiculous catches, he's the only reason the Colts aren't down more...
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timid wrote:
If you're watching the Colts game today...Reggie Wayne is showing you why he'll be in the HOF...Man has made 4 ridiculous catches, he's the only reason the Colts aren't down more...

I'm trying to remember if Steve Smith has ever made ridiculous catches or if he was ever the reason why the Panthers werent down by more. Think

Hey guys!!! I think Smith will be in the HoF too. I forgot the criteria changed to ridiculous catches and keeping games closer than they would be otherwise.

CK on the sig
timid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
timid wrote:

I'm trying to remember if Steve Smith has ever made ridiculous catches or if he was ever the reason why the Panthers werent down by more. Think

Hey guys!!! I think Smith will be in the HoF too. I forgot the criteria changed to ridiculous catches and keeping games closer than they would be otherwise.

what the hell does my post have to do with Steve Smith? Are you on his nuts that hard? And actually, if a player has made amazing catches over the course of his entire career, and has the numbers to go with it...yes that makes them HOF worthy to me....So yes Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne will both be HOF'amers to me....but thanks for being an [inappropriate/removed] though...
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timid wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
timid wrote:

what the hell does my post have to do with Steve Smith? Are you on his nuts that hard? And actually, if a player has made amazing catches over the course of his entire career, and has the numbers to go with it...yes that makes them HOF worthy to me....So yes Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne will both be HOF'amers to me....but thanks for being an [inappropriate/removed] though...

What you said was stupid. No reason to make it personal just because I pointed it out.

Your post has nothing to do with Smith. The thread/discussion has everything to do with him, however. His name is in the title of the thread. So it shouldnt be hard to draw a conclusion as to why he was mentioned in my post.

CK on the sig
timid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
timid wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
timid wrote:

What you said was stupid. No reason to make it personal just because I pointed it out.

Your post has nothing to do with Smith. The thread/discussion has everything to do with him, however. His name is in the title of the thread. So it shouldnt be hard to draw a conclusion as to why he was mentioned in my post.

So you respond to my post like a smartazz, and then tell me to not make it personal...Gotcha...And please tell me where in the rules it says that just because a topic has 2 subjects in it, that I have to respond talking about BOTH of them...Please tell me what is wrong with me only mentioning Reggie and not Smith...Take your own advice bro...I was just making a reservation about the game today....Enjoy your day bro...Peace..
bbllstr22

Location: Hell. The only place where the devil's advocate can reside.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Wayne: 8 catches, 128 yards, still 12 min left to play. Yup so old.
And we'll talk about Steve Smith when he starts playing.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timid wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
timid wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
timid wrote:

So you respond to my post like a smartazz, and then tell me to not make it personal...Gotcha...And please tell me where in the rules it says that just because a topic has 2 subjects in it, that I have to respond talking about BOTH of them...Please tell me what is wrong with me only mentioning Reggie and not Smith...Take your own advice bro...I was just making a reservation about the game today....Enjoy your day bro...Peace..

Confused

That whole post made almost no sense.

CK on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: