Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Signing Chris Cooley
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schulman116

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Signing Chris Cooley Reply with quote

Redskins have released 8 year vet TE Chris Cooley, a former stud & 3 time Pro Bowl TE who has helped shape the modern version of the H-Back & wide-split TE. He was a cap casualty set to be making 6million this upcoming season. They have an emerging young star in Fred Davis, who was playing ahead of cooley. & we all know Dan Snyder has no loyalty to fan favorites, he makes moves strictly with his checkbook. So honestly at 30 years old I think chris just got caught in a numbers game. Sure his numbers have diminished over the years....but with QB's like John Beck/D McNabb & sexy Rexy....wouldn't you have [inappropriate/removed] awful numbers too ?

I think for the right price, he'd be a great addition as a #2TE behind Olsen, maybe could even spell M Tolbert in certain situations also. I know Gary Barnidge has flashed some potential over the years (even as recently as last week), but let's face it, he's really nothing more than a #3TE right now. He's constantly been injured as a panther & just isnt reliable. If Olsen was injured, we'd be up the creek...Having Olsen / Cooley / Barnidge would be a very solid group and Chris would certainly be an upgrade over a washed up loud mouth Shockey. Cooley plays hard and at 30, has had plenty of injuries sure, but still has plenty more time to shine. If we aren't going to bring in a legit #4 WR, I believe this possible addition would serve similar purposes. Give him an elite QB in Cam, other legit weapons on the field w/smitty&Lafell (so he's not doubled), & a great off coord/playcaller/former TE in chud....none of those advantages have ever been given to Cooley. I think in this situation he'd reignite his career. Hope we give him a look.

Last edited by schulman116 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no thanks key word in your statment is Former stud

Thanks CK
Zithers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope. much, much more injury-prone than barnidge, older, and more expensive. barney has always flashed big play ability but he was stuck on a john fox team and then he broke his ankle last season.

tolbert will be filling up the h-back role anyway. we want to keep hartsock for his blocking.

i don't see where another tight end fits in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think Id rather develop Gary Barnidge too. He's a great recieving option his only problem is he isnt a very good blocker.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolbert already fills the stubby half back role in this offense. Cooley isn't a good blocker and neither are Olsen or Barnidge but they have size and length which makes them more useful in the redzone.

I'd rather pick up a TE with better blocking ability as the third TE than Cooley.
schulman116

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
nope. much, much more injury-prone than barnidge, older, and more expensive. barney has always flashed big play ability but he was stuck on a john fox team and then he broke his ankle last season.

tolbert will be filling up the h-back role anyway. we want to keep hartsock for his blocking.

i don't see where another tight end fits in.

Cooley has played in 108/128 games in his career 84%
Barnidge has played in 47/64 games in his career 73%
SOOOO.......uhhhh just....NO.

Gary Barnidge, I do like his potential in the future & do see him becoming a decent NFL TE. But at 26, with very little game action and only 12 career catches 0 TD's he still is very inexperienced & certainly not an explosive offensive weapon. You can't make the argument he couldn't succeed in Fox's system, thats just not true....Jeff King & Dante Rosario are both very mediocre TE's but yet were showcased by JFox & shined....Gary just wasn't good enough to even challenge those 2 for playingtime... Rolling Eyes . He always shows flashes, but ALWAYS has a nagging injury that holds him back. Never can take that next step. Doesn't mean he can't though. Having Chud & Olsen to learn from, should drastically help any TE's development.

But.....
Like I said...Barnidge career stat line is 12catches 242yds 0TD.
Chris Cooley(all before the young age of 30) has made 428 catches for 4,703yards 33TD & with these QB's at the helm ......Patrick Ramsey, Tim Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, Donovan McNabb, John Beck, Rex Grossman d'oh!

1. Cooley is arguably the best TE in the long history of the Washington Redskins
- all time leader in receptions (by TE)

2. He's caught 33 career TD passes. Barnidge finally caught 1 in a preseason game in his 5th year in the league Dancing

3. He's a 3X pro bowler (2005,2007,2008)....1st TEAM ALL PRO (2005)

Olsen & Cooley would be a very dynamic combo....with Barnidge occasionally spelling one of them. Gary is a satisfactory blocker...Cooley is a better blocker than Olsen & Barnidge. Harstock however is the best blocking TE in the conversation. He's had a long list of injury problems himself.
We are fine right now, Cooley would just be a small upgrade. The numbers don't lie, he's consistently been a top 10 TE in this league for almost a decade....& with such crappppppp QB play. If anyone in this forum thinks Gary Barnidge is better than Chris Cooley, you should just stop watching football right now....because ya know absolutely nothing.

If we could snag him for 1-1.5mil it be a huge get. Anything more expensive I'd say lets just roll with what we got & see what Barnidge can do in a healthy season with Chud. But if we're thinking playoffs, or "superbowl"-Kalil.....we should be trying to add as much talent as often as we can....(thats what the Giants do, the Pats, the Steelers,) they collect the best talent & train them to adjust to their system. I wish we did that. Thats how you become a winner. I think with Cam & Luke that culture is finally cultivating in Carolina. Applause

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't hate bringing him in, but you have to know that we wouldn't be getting 2005-2008 Chris Cooley. We'd be getting 2012 Chris Cooley coming off of injuries. He can still be productive, no doubt, but he's a stop-gap. He'd be this year's Shockey (which is rather useful). If they don't bring him in, I don't have any issues with it. If they do bring him in, I don't have any issues with it.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Zithers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schulman116 wrote:

Gary Barnidge, I do like his potential in the future & do see him becoming a decent NFL TE. But at 26, with very little game action and only 12 career catches 0 TD's he still is very inexperienced & certainly not an explosive offensive weapon. You can't make the argument he couldn't succeed in Fox's system, thats just not true....Jeff King & Dante Rosario are both very mediocre TE's but yet were showcased by JFox & shined....Gary just wasn't good enough to even challenge those 2 for playingtime... Rolling Eyes . He always shows flashes, but ALWAYS has a nagging injury that holds him back. Never can take that next step. Doesn't mean he can't though. Having Chud & Olsen to learn from, should drastically help any TE's development.

But.....
Chris Cooley(all before the young age of 30) has made 428 catches for 4,703yards 33TD & with these QB's at the helm ......Patrick Ramsey, Tim Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, Donovan McNabb, John Beck, Rex Grossman d'oh!

1. Cooley is arguably the best TE in the long history of the Washington Redskins

2. He's caught 33 career TD passes. Barnidge finally caught 1 in a preseason game in his 5th year in the league Dancing

Olsen & Cooley would be a very dynamic combo....with Barnidge occasionally spelling one of them. Gary is a satisfactory blocker...Cooley is a better blocker than Olsen & Barnidge. Harstock however is the best blocking TE in the conversation. He's had a long list of injury problems himself.
We are fine right now, Cooley would just be a small upgrade. The numbers don't lie, he's consistently been a top 10 TE in this league for almost a decade....& with such crappppppp QB play. If anyone in this forum thinks Gary Barnidge is better than Chris Cooley, you should just stop watching football right now....because ya know absolutely nothing.

If we could snag him for 1-1.5mil it be a huge get. Anything more expensive I'd say lets just roll with what we got & see what Barnidge can do in a healthy season with Chud. But if we're thinking playoffs, or "superbowl"-Kalil.....we should be trying to add as much talent as often as we can....(thats what the Giants do, the Pats, the Steelers,) they collect the best talent & train them to adjust to their system. I wish we did that. Thats how you become a winner. I think with Cam & Luke that culture is finally cultivating in Carolina. Applause

so... barnidge has missed last season and then one game in three other seasons. okay... i don't see where that makes him injury-prone. in the past three seasons, cooley has played 7, 5, and 16 games. that's less than what gary has done in the past three years.

barnidge has no stats because... like i said... john fox. fox does not use tight ends. jeff king averaged 28 catches in his four years of starting. and whenever we got in the redzone it was immediately "run it" or "throw it up to smitty" time. not "throw to a tight end!" and the one season where he got significant playing time, he averaged 20 yards a catch. he is now under the tutelage of the guy who developed vernon davis and the guy who developed... bubba franks, jeremy shockey, kellen winslow, and greg olsen. he has made plays this pre-season. he has made plays in other pre-seasons. there is no reason to think he can't be a solid TE2. we might not even run it that often this season now that we have tolbert who can line up pretty much everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
1. I want Olsen to be "the" guy.
2. Let's develop Barnidge.
3. Tolbert is the wild card we need.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Moody

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schulman116 wrote:

But.....

1. You're using the word "shined" very loosely. Rosario and King were serviceable. Barnidge doesn't fit the Fox offense, that's one reason he never played. Little known fact: Jermaine Wiggins was on the 2003 Superbowl team. He caught eight passes in a John Fox + Stephen Davis offense. The next three years he caught 71, 69 and 46 passes with the Vikings.

2. Why does it sound like you believe Gary Barnidge hasn't learned from Chud or Olsen? It hasn't been seen yet because he was injured the entire year. Olsen and Chud basically just got here.

3. Stats don't tell you what Cooley can do for us now. He was an above average player on some mediocre teams. We already have a Cooley-esque player. Mike Tolbert is four years younger and more useful because he can cary and play FB. Cooley has 33 TDs in 8 years. Tolbert has 21 in the last two years and 26 over his four year career.

There is such thing as having too crowded an offense. The ball will be spread around a lot. You're basically telling me you'd be OK have Cooley taking touches from Smith, Lafell, Stewart, Tolbert and Olsen?

Better players will get cut in positions of higher need. I hope we can add some depth on defense or OL.

Lastly, Wanna guess which guy is the leading receiver for his team this preseason? Chris Cooley has one reception for four yards so it's probably not him.
DaveDX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
I honestly wouldn't hate bringing him in, but you have to know that we wouldn't be getting 2005-2008 Chris Cooley. We'd be getting 2012 Chris Cooley coming off of injuries. He can still be productive, no doubt, but he's a stop-gap. He'd be this year's Shockey (which is rather useful). If they don't bring him in, I don't have any issues with it. If they do bring him in, I don't have any issues with it.

I agree with this. I was happy when they brought Shockey in. I figured he'd be on IR by week two but I could say he was a Panther. Cooley's a guy I'd like to be able to claim as well.

Turns out it was a dude.
Cardiac Cats

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, all I read was your subject. Too much info for me to read right now. But...

I would be all for releasing Hartsock and adding Cooley. You then still have Tolbert and Richie Brockel. Tolbert serves as #3 RB and FB as a bonus unless Brockel fits the play better.

But then again, how good of a blocker at the TE position is Cooley?? Can't be better than Hartsock. And none of this matters if he isn't going to play for less than a mil.
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the right price, he would fill a need for us. One of his strongest suits is blocking, which is something TEs have to do well in Carolina. He's not a bad pass catching guy either. He would probably fit in Richie Brockel's role except be better at it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pass. Cooley is injury prone and beat down. If this was 3 years ago, I would have jumped on it. He's a decent pass catcher but we already have that in Olsen.

We already have an H-back type in recently acquired Mike Tolbert. I dont see the point in bringing in another guy just like him but past his prime. Try to build up Barnidge and see what he has

PSN id - Kemikalmbalinsce
3428fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have rather brought shockey back then sign cooley

carolina kitten on the crazy sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: