Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 1: Jacksonville Jaguars @ Minnesota Vikings 1PM E.T.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yfz01 wrote:
Hello everyone. Here are some keys to the game from the Minnesota Vikings fan perspective.

Vikings new secondary vs new look Jags WR's - Blackmon is likely the best of the bunch, but the Vikings starting corners are good at tackling and physical. Neither Cook or Winfield are particularly fast though, so guys like Robinson could give them trouble. With a lot of young players like Josh Robinson, Harrison Smith, and Mistral Raymond getting play time, I wouldn't be shocked if the Jags hit a couple wide open receivers for big plays.

Vikings D-Line pressure
- On the dome turf, the Vikings defensive line dominated last year. With the loud crowd noise, Jared Allen, Brian Robison, and Kevin Williams applied relentless pressure. Even with a secondary consisting of the ever talented Cedric Griffin, Asher Allen, and Benny Sapp, the team put up 50 sacks on the year.

Rookie kicker - Blair Walsh has great range, but he's been inconsistent during the preseason. It wouldn't shock me if a missed field goal ended up losing the game for Minnesota.

Winfield is a great matchup against Blackmon for you guys. I imagine those two will be tangling all day long and basically cancelling each other out. I liked Cook coming out, but I understand he's struggled a bit - if our line can pass protect decently, Robinson could have a big day.

Harvin scares me a bit- our defense wasn't doing a great job tackling in the preseason, and the guy can absolutely eat a defense up if he can break tackles.

I think it'll be a close game with the team who makes more big plays winning.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a LOUD game, the dome usually is. How is Gabbert at working the silent snap count? Is the Jags Oline going to be able to contend with one of the best pass rushing Dlines in football, in addition to said crowd noise? This will be a key match up for MN and Jax, if MN can rattle Gabbert with constant pressure and a loud atmosphere, it could be a long game for him.

The Vikes have struggled a bit defending the run, and there are obvious question marks in the secondary. I cant call them a bad bunch yet, since a majority of the players starting Sunday didnt play for the team much last year, if it all. This should really be a good, close game between two very evenly matched teams. The Vikes are a bit vulnerable down the seam, in the middle of the field so if Gabbert can get time in the pocket, he could have some opportunities there.

Offensively, Toby Gerhart has really looked good dating back to last year. The Oline seems to be doing a good job so far for MN. MN has two receivers that will need to draw a lot of attention, those being Harvin and Rudolph. John Carlson should be good to go after sitting out the entire preseason. MN doesnt really have much else to worry about at WR, although, Devin Aromashodu has shown an ability to make plays down field, so you dont want to sleep on him. Ponder is incredibly fast and will run. If your DEs forget to contain the edges, Ponder will roll out and has the speed to get a first down in a hurry. Expect the Vikes to employ lots of 2 TE sets with Rudolph, Carlson and Rhett Ellison and expect a lot of playfakes/roll outs. Not sure if Peterson will play much, but Gerhart is a pretty steady runner.

Ultimately, this game really could go either way but I think in the end, the Vikes pass rush will be too much for Gabbert and the Jags Oline. The Vikes did lead the league in sacks last year. a lot of that had to do with the huge advantage the DEs have playing on a fast turf in a loud environment.

Best of luck!

Last edited by vikingsrule on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Yfz01 wrote:
Hello everyone. Here are some keys to the game from the Minnesota Vikings fan perspective.

Vikings new secondary vs new look Jags WR's - Blackmon is likely the best of the bunch, but the Vikings starting corners are good at tackling and physical. Neither Cook or Winfield are particularly fast though, so guys like Robinson could give them trouble. With a lot of young players like Josh Robinson, Harrison Smith, and Mistral Raymond getting play time, I wouldn't be shocked if the Jags hit a couple wide open receivers for big plays.

Vikings D-Line pressure
- On the dome turf, the Vikings defensive line dominated last year. With the loud crowd noise, Jared Allen, Brian Robison, and Kevin Williams applied relentless pressure. Even with a secondary consisting of the ever talented Cedric Griffin, Asher Allen, and Benny Sapp, the team put up 50 sacks on the year.

Rookie kicker - Blair Walsh has great range, but he's been inconsistent during the preseason. It wouldn't shock me if a missed field goal ended up losing the game for Minnesota.

Winfield is a great matchup against Blackmon for you guys. I imagine those two will be tangling all day long and basically cancelling each other out. I liked Cook coming out, but I understand he's struggled a bit - if our line can pass protect decently, Robinson could have a big day.

Harvin scares me a bit- our defense wasn't doing a great job tackling in the preseason, and the guy can absolutely eat a defense up if he can break tackles.

Cook was actually playing really well last year, and had good games against CJ and Fitz. However, he only played six games and was kicked off the team. His loss combined with Winfield's injury last year really depleted the secondary. Cook is a big, tall and athletic CB. Winfield will likely slide into the nickel spot in 3 CB sets, with Josh Robinson as the other outside CB opposite Cook.

Rookie Harrison Smith is the starter at Safety, its a bit unclear who will start opposite of Smith between Raymond and Sanford. It will probably be Raymond.
Yfz01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:

It will certainly be interesting to see Cook matchup on Robinson. Who is the third Jags WR? I could see them trying to pick on Vikings rookie Josh Robinson, who will likely be the Vikings #3 CB.

Both Percy Harvin and Toby Gerhart break a lot of tackles. So I'm excited to hear about the tackling problems.

I know you guys have some good linebackers. Have they had any problems with tight ends? Kyle Rudolph has caught more passes than anyone this off season, and likely will be a big part of the offense.

Lil Uno with the sig.
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yfz01 wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:

It will certainly be interesting to see Cook matchup on Robinson. Who is the third Jags WR? I could see them trying to pick on Vikings rookie Josh Robinson, who will likely be the Vikings #3 CB.

Both Percy Harvin and Toby Gerhart break a lot of tackles. So I'm excited to hear about the tackling problems.

I know you guys have some good linebackers. Have they had any problems with tight ends? Kyle Rudolph has caught more passes than anyone this off season, and likely will be a big part of the offense.

Mike Thomas is the Jaguars' third and its his natural fit. He should return to 2010 form or better, which is a quality pass-catcher with very good RAC ability. But his impact really depends on the structure of the offense since he'll primarily be the slot guy.

Posluszny and Smith are elite level linebackers. We were without Smith for the preseason, which contributed to plenty of missed tackles that he simply won't miss. The coaching staff were very cautious with the defensive guys who were nicked up, so hopefully those guys shore up the tackling (we all pretty much expect that to be the case).

I think the problems with tight ends was a bit overblown. Teams were doing a good job of targeting Posluszny early in the season, making him play man up o TE's, which isn't his (or many other down hill MLB's) strength. But he wasn't a liability once he settled in. Smith plays well in coverage, both zone and man but Pos is definitely more comfortable in zone, where he actually excels.

Hopefully Cook is over his troubles, because he has all the talent in the world. He'll have his hands full chasing Robinson up the field. Whoever your better tackling safety is will be tasked with staying back on Blackmon - he showed the same ability in the preseason that made him so good in college - he'l give a defense headaches if they don't bring him down shortly after he gets the ball in his hands.

Another neat matchup will be Monroe and Allen. Monroe is a very underrated tackle and should limit Allen's effectiveness (as will short drops by Gabbert). I'm excited Monroe will get a chance to showcase his talent against a top two pass rusher.

Just out of curiosity, what's the work on AP playing? Also the skinny on Ponder? I don't think he was as bad as many have made him out to be (we have a similar perception we deal with with Gabbert).

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
DjBuddaH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest issue for the Jags this weekend for me is our right side OL. No experience if Uche isn't there and if that's the case we will be using a heavy heavy heavy run game to the left. Not expecting much from Marcedes this game as he will be involved heavily in blocking. Blackmon, Robinson, and Thomas need to get seperation quickly so it can remove pressure from the OL and Gabbert. If Gabbert had 100% reliability in Monroe blocking his backside I would say that he could lean on the passing game a little more. But the reigning sack leader is there so no such luck on that 100%.

Honestly I think the field position game will be the most important in this game. MJD coming back is huge for us, even if he only touches the ball 10-15 times. He has home-run potential, that I don't believe Rashad owns...although he is a good back.

Can't wait for the game. And just as in preseason....hope for no injuries.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7978242#7978242
Esteban wrote:
If people would listen to my advice I would give it but until then I wont
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DjBuddaH wrote:
Biggest issue for the Jags this weekend for me is our right side OL. No experience if Uche isn't there and if that's the case we will be using a heavy heavy heavy run game to the left. Not expecting much from Marcedes this game as he will be involved heavily in blocking. Blackmon, Robinson, and Thomas need to get seperation quickly so it can remove pressure from the OL and Gabbert. If Gabbert had 100% reliability in Monroe blocking his backside I would say that he could lean on the passing game a little more. But the reigning sack leader is there so no such luck on that 100%.

Honestly I think the field position game will be the most important in this game. MJD coming back is huge for us, even if he only touches the ball 10-15 times. He has home-run potential, that I don't believe Rashad owns...although he is a good back.

Can't wait for the game. And just as in preseason....hope for no injuries.

Brian Robison is a hit or miss type player at LE. Some games he looks great, other games he is nonexistent. So I cant really comment on how well he will play. Last year, Robison was a first year starter and started the season off hot. As the season progressed, it seemed as if he tired as a full time starter. Robison is a good pass rusher at LE, but he can be negated if you run at him early and often. That will be key for the Jags in keeping pressure off of Gabbert, will they be able to get a good running game going.

Kevin Williams was dealing with an injury last year to his foot, but he still managed to be a 5+ sack player. He is fully healthy now and the Jags will have to contend with his pass rush ability inside. Most Vikings fans are down on Letroy Guion at NT and Jasper Brinkley at MLB. I think those two will be key to how the games goes. If Guion and Brinkley can do a solid job against the run up the middle, I see the Jags offense in for a long day if they have to face those 3 and 6+ situation. The defense feeds off the crowd noise and when they can pin there ears back and just get after it, they are dangerous.

Running the ball will be key for Jax, just like stopping the run will be key for the Vikes. I think both team's passing offenses will be over-matched due to young QBs and good defensive play. However, the key will be which running game will do enough to overcome the passing game's short coming. Percy Harvin is usually apart of the running game, at least last year anyway.
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key for the Vikings offence in this game, and probably for the entire season, is how well they will be able to stretch the field both in the running an passing game. Gerhardt is strictly a straight ahead runner, while Harvin and Rudolph are basically slant, seam route and bubble screen guys who create mismatches over the middle of the field.

On defence the key for the Vikings will be how well they can stop the run without bringing up the safeties, because the Vikings CBs are nowhere near good enough to man up one-on-one with even average WRs.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
The key for the Vikings offence in this game, and probably for the entire season, is how well they will be able to stretch the field both in the running an passing game. Gerhardt is strictly a straight ahead runner, while Harvin and Rudolph are basically slant, seam route and bubble screen guys who create mismatches over the middle of the field.

On defence the key for the Vikings will be how well they can stop the run without bringing up the safeties, because the Vikings CBs are nowhere near good enough to man up one-on-one with even average WRs.

I am confident that Cook can, he displayed that ability in six games last year. Josh Robinson, while a rookie, has amazing speed so hopefully that will atleast keep him in position. Granted he is a rookie, he is probably who the Jags should pick on. Winfield isnt a great man to man perimeter CB, so he could be a favorable matchup for Jax. Right now, I am confident in Cook in man to man, but everyone else, not so sure.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANT WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!!!

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
McMorrow_922

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Vikings fans wont admit we will beat them. But honestly we should of all goes right. Could be a long day for Kalil. Minceys gonna give him a fit. They will strauggle Cunningham the football. Ponder will have pressure in his face all day

Adopt a JAGUAR

Laurent Robinson-

Marcedes Lewis-
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMorrow_922 wrote:
Of course Vikings fans wont admit we will beat them. But honestly we should of all goes right. Could be a long day for Kalil. Minceys gonna give him a fit. They will strauggle Cunningham the football. Ponder will have pressure in his face all day

If all goes right for 1 team, 99% of the time they will win. This is not a sure-thing by any means. We have struggled on the road, its Gabberts first game of the year and MJD isnt going to see the field much

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:

Nzd07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMorrow_922 wrote:

I'd be more worried about Gabbert. A team that led the league in sacks, with a D-line that feeds of crowd noise in a home opener. We'll see if Gabbert is standing tall in the pocket like you guys have been preaching all preseason.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Adopt a T-Wolf: Ricky Rubio APG: 9.6 SPG: 3.09 RPG: 4.8
Mattwaukee wrote:
If I'm taking players for next year I'm taking Cobb over anyone not named Johnson.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:
McMorrow_922 wrote:

I'd be more worried about Gabbert. A team that led the league in sacks, with a D-line that feeds of crowd noise in a home opener. We'll see if Gabbert is standing tall in the pocket like you guys have been preaching all preseason.

Pump your brakes chief Wink

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMorrow_922 wrote:

Why should we Viking fans admit anything. The Jags were 5-11 in 2011, why should I believe the Jags have made progress. Not every team gets better in the offseason. Id say MN has as much of a chance as winning as Jax does, considering the game is at home and Gabbert has been a mess so far early in his career when faced with any bit of pressure. Again your facing one of the best pass rushes in football in arguably one of the loudest stadiums in all of football.

For the Jags to win, it will largely depend on how much the Jags can control that pressure and I have little faith in the Jags Oline at this point because the first unit has barely played together this preseason. The thing about combating crowd noise is your line needs to be on the same page to make proper adjustments, have they had the required time in camp and preseason to be familiar with each other? I wouldnt have much trust in them at this point. I dont trust Gabbert, and until he proves that he can handle pressure, I find it unlikely that he has a strong performance in week 1.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 2 of 38

Jump to: