Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 1: VIKINGS (0-0) vs. Jaguars (0-0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 54, 55, 56  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
With how much money is tied into John Carlson and having Rhett Ellison breathing down his neck for playing time, I would not be surprised if Carlson is cut at seasons end if he doesnt produce.

Very little chance of that happening. They've already paid him $9M of the deal and he's very reasonably priced through the next few seasons. He may not be fully healthy until next season, so I can't see why they would bail on him after this one.

Basically to get rid a guy who is injury prone and let other players Ellison/Reisner to get those sports. From a non-financial perspective as well, if Carlson cant prove to be reliable, id rather see his roster spot go elsewhere.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlson's had one game and very few practices with the team so far. hardly the time to pass judgment on where his ceiling is.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you've been there or have any idea what it's like to call a game, I think it's unfair to criticize the announcers. There are 100 players they have to know, all written on a sheet or two of paper. When you're trying to find a name while still having to maintain dialogue, sometimes it's easy to miss a pronunciation, especially when it's not a team you're accustomed to.

Most of the mistakes are understandable in my books. Sure they're professionals, but that doesn't mean they won't make mistakes.

We are spoiled by having PA. Some people may not like his over the top style, but he's one of the best.

Now this one I'm more critical of

vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Until you've been there or have any idea what it's like to call a game, I think it's unfair to criticize the announcers. There are 100 players they have to know, all written on a sheet or two of paper.

they also have staffs behind the scenes doing the research for them, and producers talking in their ears during the broadcasts, giving them cues.

not realizing a player like Jared Allen is back in the game until two plays after it happens, or that Harvin wasn't the player to return a kickoff when they say he did, is amateurish at best.

if you're an announcer unfamiliar with a particular team's roster, you better at least know their top few guys and be able to find them on the field.

Webmaster wrote:
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate graphics writers. They seem to be the worst spellers ever. I understand they only have a few seconds to get those graphics up, but jeezus, can you at least get the state name right?

I'm one of those people who hate to watch local newscasts, because it seems every single night, there will be at least one misspelling on it...and it just kills me. Laughing

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Until you've been there or have any idea what it's like to call a game, I think it's unfair to criticize the announcers. There are 100 players they have to know, all written on a sheet or two of paper.

they also have staffs behind the scenes doing the research for them, and producers talking in their ears during the broadcasts, giving them cues.

Which also adds to the confusion. Play by play guy only have so much time to filter through everything they see and get it out coherently. When you have guys talking in your ear and you are shuffling through looking for a name, its not as easy as it looks. Aromashadu, Robison, Kluwe, Walsh mispronunciations are not that big a deal. And while its good to know JA is on the field, it's not like that's the announcer's only responsibility. And their information wasn't inaccurate, just late.

As a broadcasting student, I sknow what that was like to be doing a broadcast. And now doing work in the local Division II stadium press box, I see it once again.

Like I said, I have a bigger problem with the graphic, since they are (at least the opening one shown) prepared well in advance. That was likely an intern or someone new being sloppy at their job.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ good enough. other than plenty of broadcasters can handle their duties just fine.

cool to know you have a background in the field.

Webmaster wrote:
Freakout

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Overall, my feeling is that we need to make more plays, offense and defense. Turnovers, long TD's, once this team gets a bit of a spark they can be very dangerous. Getting Simpson back will help the offense with that, on D the pass rush needs to step it up a bit, and the DB's could stand to gamble a bit more. Had Greenway or Smith sold out a bit more to make that play, you get an interception TD, and you put away the game.

Baby steps. Seeing deflections is a leap from last year Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm all over the board on this post . . . Wink

CBS is the AFC mouth-piece . . . they always screw-up NFC teams, in some wierd way to try to make their AFC team superior.

Even when Favre was starting his magical season in 2009, the broadcasts by Fox appeared more neutral and accurate, while still being colorful. The CBS broadcasts always seems to be more biased and under-educated, topping that with negative facts presentations (Randy Cross is the epitome of these calls), it makes them appear anti-NFC and/or anti-Viking.

Maybe it's just me, but I think back over the years and almost evertime some commentator says "The Vikings defense has not allowed a 100-yard rusher in 35 games, and there's almost no way this make-shift line and injured RB will have any success" or " the Vikes QB hasn't thrown a pick in 148 passes" . . . boom, next thing ya know something bad happens to the Vikes. I think it goes back to some kind of black magic spell cast on the Vikes prior to the Superbowl with the Raiders . . . Laughing

Klomp - my comment on Walsh was more for fans to not get bent outta shape when he does miss a kick later on -- yes, when the Vikes are down 21-20 and if he misses a 35 yarder as time expires, it'll hurt . . . just remember the kicks he made yesterday as a positive and keep faith he'll make more like that.

As general rule, I don't get too high or low the first 4 games, because it makes no sense (to me) to call for a coaches or player's head prior to then. The commentary on Carlson (IMO) isn't founded at all . . . business-wise or otherwise right now.

As for the team, our (fans) emotions will run the gamut. Think back to that one pass Greg Lewis caught in 2009 at the back of the endzone against the 49ers, giving the Vikes the win. That team went to 4-0 on that play, but there was a sense back then that the team could've been 2-2; they escaped the previous week with a 3-pt win and that last second 39-yard TD make them 4-0.

This team has every piece (less Brett Favre and Sidney Rice) to do similar things. It's possible, even conceivable, a 2-0 49ers will roll into the Dome to face a 2-0 Vikings team (not to put the cart before the horse) . . . that game will shape the rest of the season. How well will it go for this young squad and un-seasoned (yet presumed, by some, pathetic) coaching staff?
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I didn't get to watch the game because Wisconsin got Bears-Colts instead. Did Christian looks as solid as the stats say?

Is Kalil doing a better job of finishing plays?

It seems the secondary looked much improved yesterday.

Adrian seems to be Adrian. Dude can't be human there's just no way.

Finally Blair Freaking Walsh. I was really uncomfortable letting go of Longwell but yesterday really eased my tension hope he keeps it up.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Hey Guys,

I didn't get to watch the game because Wisconsin got Bears-Colts instead. Did Christian looks as solid as the stats say?

Finally Blair Freaking Walsh. I was really uncomfortable letting go of Longwell but yesterday really eased my tension hope he keeps it up.

It was a tail of two halves for Ponder and the Vikes offense. Very bland, very conservative and lacked guts in the first half in terms of playcalling. Ponder made good throws in the second half when the offense was opened up.

Kalil seemed to play fine, didnt hear anything about Andre Branch. Most of the pressure seemed to come from the interior, so Kalil and Loadholt seemed to do a pretty good job in pass protection.

The secondary looked better, i do agree. The Safetys play quite well, only knock on Smith was he was a bit out of position on the 20+ yard pass to Laurent Robinson, just a little bit late otherwise he would have laid out Robinson and jarred the ball loose. The CBs still struggled though. Robinson gave up a few underneath passes and Cook gave up a long pass. Generally, the secondary played pretty good, they gave up a lot of little stuff which resulted in the Jags moving the ball on third down in the first half with ease. Didnt net much for points, very bend dont break.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
This team has every piece (less Brett Favre and Sidney Rice) to do similar things. It's possible, even conceivable, a 2-0 49ers will roll into the Dome to face a 2-0 Vikings team (not to put the cart before the horse) . . . that game will shape the rest of the season. How well will it go for this young squad and un-seasoned (yet presumed, by some, pathetic) coaching staff?

I agree. It seems most everyone has written this seaon off as a failure. We're we perfect yesterday? Of course not. But there were some plays that gave me serious confidence going forward. I still believe we will surprise a lot of people, just like Adrian surprised many yesterday.

The schedule worked out favorably for us, so let's use that to our advantage. There will be a lot of close games this year, and we've already proven that we can win a close one in comeback fashion. If we can take care of business in the first nine games, anything can happen from that point on.
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Hey Guys,

It was a tail of two halves for Ponder and the Vikes offense. Very bland, very conservative and lacked guts in the first half in terms of playcalling. Ponder made good throws in the second half when the offense was opened up.

Kalil seemed to play fine, didnt hear anything about Andre Branch. Most of the pressure seemed to come from the interior, so Kalil and Loadholt seemed to do a pretty good job in pass protection.

The secondary looked better, i do agree. The Safetys play quite well, only knock on Smith was he was a bit out of position on the 20+ yard pass to Laurent Robinson, just a little bit late otherwise he would have laid out Robinson and jarred the ball loose. The CBs still struggled though. Robinson gave up a few underneath passes and Cook gave up a long pass. Generally, the secondary played pretty good, they gave up a lot of little stuff which resulted in the Jags moving the ball on third down in the first half with ease. Didnt net much for points, very bend dont break.

Wait, So your telling me Leslie Frazier made adjustments???? Laughing

Seriously though good to hear especially with Christian. Having QB locked down for a decade would do worlds in making it easy to build this team for the future.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:

Wait, So your telling me Leslie Frazier made adjustments???? Laughing

Seriously though good to hear especially with Christian. Having QB locked down for a decade would do worlds in making it easy to build this team for the future.

Actually I'd say Musgrave did.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta give props to Devin Aromashodu and Jerome Felton as well.

Both players were on my cut list coming into the season, but Felton threw some great blocks, and DA made three big catches.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 55 of 56

Jump to: