Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 1: VIKINGS (0-0) vs. Jaguars (0-0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 54, 55, 56  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48045
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
I think Mincey/Branch give Kalil just as many fits as Allen will.


Nice try.

Allen dominates at home, the fast turf and intense crowd noise really revs him up. I see Monroe and the rest of the Jags Oline really struggling, especially if there has been a lot of moving around with positions due to injury. Basically, I dont expect the Jags to have much continuity up front week 1 and when you factor how loud the Thunderdome is (it gets loud when there is enthusiasm, especially opening week), the Jags will probably have to operate out of silent count often. Is Gabbert up for the challenge and the physically that the Vikes front four will provide. How does Gabbert do when he doesnt get a clean pocket to throw in? Despite having the worst secondary in the league last year, MN still led the league in sacks. The secondary only got better with the return of Cook and Winfield and additions of Robinson, Smith and Jefferson.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 35462
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
I think Mincey/Branch give Kalil just as many fits as Allen will.


Nice try.

Allen dominates at home, the fast turf and intense crowd noise really revs him up. I see Monroe and the rest of the Jags Oline really struggling, especially if there has been a lot of moving around with positions due to injury. Basically, I dont expect the Jags to have much continuity up front week 1 and when you factor how loud the Thunderdome is (it gets loud when there is enthusiasm, especially opening week), the Jags will probably have to operate out of silent count often. Is Gabbert up for the challenge and the physically that the Vikes front four will provide. How does Gabbert do when he doesnt get a clean pocket to throw in? Despite having the worst secondary in the league last year, MN still led the league in sacks. The secondary only got better with the return of Cook and Winfield and additions of Robinson, Smith and Jefferson.


So....I get Monroe will struggle, and have said that. But it is not possible for Kalil to struggle? Don't get it.

Our OL is the same as it was last year, save Brewster possibly moving into the starting lineup...but he played there all preseason and did quite well, yes, even against bigger DTs.

Gabbert also got better and faced the Giants DL and stepped into every throw, save the strip sack, which all of us still haven't gotten over. Crowd has nothing to do with it, we played in Domes, we have played on grass, loud, and quiet stadiums...

It will be closer than what you are making it sound.
Should I say your OL will struggle with a top 43 DT in Knighton and a speedy guy in Alu? Or that your offense may be going heavily on Gerhart?

You need to take a step back and realize your team has flaws, much like ours. We are also starting a back not name AP/Maurice. We have a, UDFA on the line. Robinson looks to be a bust. But if you cannot see that, there is nothing left to discuss, as all offseason, you have been harping we are one of the worst teams (which may be true) but fail to see the improvements, which will come starting week one. (You are also harping up the wrong tree, I don't like Gabbert and thought he would bust prior to the draft..but to not see the improvements, when even folks around the league have is assinine)
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48045
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the Vikes have flaws. No one is denying this. Kalil very well will have his rookie struggles and the interior line has struggled with big bodied DT like Kinghton. I've even said that in other threads.

I am simply not going to assume anything from the "success" of the Jags offense based on the preseason, and I suspect if Monroe has not played much, he will be quite a bit more rusty physically than Kalil. Its a bit much to suggest that Mincey/Branch will have as much of an impact on Sunday as Jared Allen, I dont buy it once other factors are considered.

Where I am concerned with MN is what the inside ground game will do to the Vikes interior, which has struggled. Laurent Robinson concerns me a bit, he seems to be the type of receiver who could get behind the Vikes defense and give them troubles. Blackmon I am not overly concerned about, I dont see him being a big threat over the top so keeping things underneath and wrapping up will be key to defending Blackmon. The seam is usually what has killed the Vikes so if Lewis and Blackmon can get involved down the middle, there will be openings. I trust Cook on the outside, but of course Robinson and Winfield may struggle. Will see.

I mean if your going to assume that Gabbert is improved and Blackmon is going to have a big game, cant I argue the same for the Vikes secondary? The only comment I really made was what has been proven successful in that the Vikes have one of the best pass rushes in the league and the Jags have a work in progress Oline and are playing on the road.


Last edited by vikingsrule on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6075
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking more and more like Adrian will be inactive this sunday and his season debut will be week 2. Sad
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48045
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
Looking more and more like Adrian will be inactive this sunday and his season debut will be week 2. Sad


MN will certainly miss his explosiveness, but it doesnt hurt to be cautious. It is only week1 after all. Since last year, Gerhart has been running hard. I trust Gerhart, but if Adrian is going to miss perhaps Todman needs to be called up to the active roster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 14581
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
Looking more and more like Adrian will be inactive this sunday and his season debut will be week 2. Sad


Do you have a link for this?
_________________

down but not out. I still believe!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6075
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Eric dunn wrote:
Looking more and more like Adrian will be inactive this sunday and his season debut will be week 2. Sad


Do you have a link for this?


Rotoworld and Jeremy Fowler both are saying the Vikings want to hold AP out.
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 35462
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Of course the Vikes have flaws. No one is denying this. Kalil very well will have his rookie struggles and the interior line has struggled with big bodied DT like Kinghton. I've even said that in other threads.

I am simply not going to assume anything from the "success" of the Jags offense based on the preseason, and I suspect if Monroe has not played much, he will be quite a bit more rusty physically than Kalil. Its a bit much to suggest that Miney/Branch will have as much of an impact on Sunday as Jared Allen, I dont buy it once other factors are considered.

Where I am concerned with MN is what the inside ground game will do to the Vikes interior, which has struggled. Laurent Robinson concerns me a bit, he seems to be the type of receiver who could get behind the Vikes defense and give them troubles. Blackmon I am not overly concerned about, I dont see him being a big threat over the top so keeping things underneath and wrapping up will be key to defending Blackmon. The seam is usually what has killed the Vikes so if Lewis and Blackmon can get involved down the middle, there will be openings. I trust Cook on the outside, but of course Robinson and Winfield may struggle. Will see.

I mean if your going to assume that Gabbert is improved and Blackmon is going to have a big game, cant I argue the same for the Vikes secondary? The only comment I really made was what has been proven successful in that the Vikes have one of the best pass rushes in the league and the Jags have a work in progress Oline and are playing on the road.


I do not see Robinson being a factor, at this time. He only got behind 1 defense, which was Atlanta's second team, and he dropped the pass. He was targeted I think 13 times this PS with 3 catches and 3 drops. He isn't on the same page as Gabbert (but the other Receivers are).

I also do not see Gabbert nor Blackmon having big games. I think they will do better than exepceted, and I think Blackmon is going to do "well" only because I think he can out muscle your backers and corners, like he has done the previous games (hell he is giving ours fits).

I have said, I give Allen all the credit. But we don't have a work in progress line. Outside of Monore who hasn't played, the right side has been lights out, with Britton showing improvement (still don't think he is 100%). But Monroe played very well last year, and the previous season, but will struggle against Allen 1 on 1.

The only thing about "sucess" from the preseason I have spoke of was Gabbert not looking like he was taking a dumb in his pants every dropback, which again, execs around the league have also said and pikced up on.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6075
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, we cant let Gabbert get his confidence up early in this game. We have to hit him, and try to cause some turnovers. And control the ball on the ground with Toby.

Move Percy around where he can be most effective.
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 35462
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
To me, we cant let Gabbert get his confidence up early in this game. We have to hit him, and try to cause some turnovers. And control the ball on the ground with Toby.

Move Percy around where he can be most effective.


If you want to see all he needs to do is watch the Ravens PS game against us...cross him over the middle, either in front of or behind Poz, and watch Harvin run and run.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6075
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Eric dunn wrote:
To me, we cant let Gabbert get his confidence up early in this game. We have to hit him, and try to cause some turnovers. And control the ball on the ground with Toby.

Move Percy around where he can be most effective.


If you want to see all he needs to do is watch the Ravens PS game against us...cross him over the middle, either in front of or behind Poz, and watch Harvin run and run.


Well Percy will be in the slot alot, that is where he is most effective. Also dont be surprised to see him in the backfield.

One more guy to watch out for could be Kyle Rudolph, he as well can exploit the middle of the field.
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48045
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if John Carlson will be good to go It would be nice to see him out there to put this two TE offense to work. Ellison seemed to get a lot of playing time in the preseason so maybe they are confident in him starting in case Carlson cant.

I expect Harvin and Aromshodu to be the top two WRs with Jenkins coming in for 3 wide sets. Harvin moves to the slot in 3 wide.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6075
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I wonder if John Carlson will be good to go It would be nice to see him out there to put this two TE offense to work. Ellison seemed to get a lot of playing time in the preseason so maybe they are confident in him starting in case Carlson cant.

I expect Harvin and Aromshodu to be the top two WRs with Jenkins coming in for 3 wide sets. Harvin moves to the slot in 3 wide.


Carlson will be available sunday.

And assuming Jarius Wright is healthy enough to play, i could see him getting some snaps in the slot as well.
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6981
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Eric dunn wrote:
Looking more and more like Adrian will be inactive this sunday and his season debut will be week 2. Sad


Do you have a link for this?


Rotoworld and Jeremy Fowler both are saying the Vikings want to hold AP out.


Here's what Fowler (Pioneer Press) wrote:
Quote:
With the season opener six days away, coach Leslie Frazier isn’t giving off the vibe that Adrian Peterson will be in the lineup against Jacksonville.

Maybe he just wants to see more from Peterson this week. Or maybe Peterson will be shut down even if he does back-flips through the teeth of the Vikings defense starting Wednesday.

Anything seems possible at this point.

One thing is certain, though. Even if Peterson does make it back — which has been his plan all along — he’ll get “limited exposure” in the game, Frazier said.

“We’ll talk about it as the week goes on and see how he’s doing and if it’s even a viable option to let him play,” Frazier said.


http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/2012/09/03/on-surface-vikings-dont-seem-ready-to-play-adrian-peterson/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6131
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are two eerily similar teams on offence.

Mike Mularkey was OC in Atlanta, where Bill Musgrave was QB coach. I would imagine that the two offensive schemes are essentially the same.

Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert are basically the same guy from what I have seen.

The big difference is on defence, where the Jags were 6th in the NFL last year, while the Vikings were 21st. Blair Walsh is still an unknown commodity as a FG kicker, and this is one of those games that could come down to a missed FG.

Confused
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 2 of 56

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group