Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The reason we may not have been impressed by Terrell Manning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: The reason we may not have been impressed by Terrell Manning Reply with quote

Apparently throughout camp, he was really sick:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20120902/PKR01/120902032

Quote:
“It was rough,” Manning said. “I had been sick for almost three weeks. I got down to 220 pounds. On top of that, I was stressing out and having to prepare my body to go through camp as well as working on only two hours of sleep, spending the whole night in pain and still trying to learn the plays.”

His problems began the first week of training camp, and the Packers’ medical staff quickly realized this was no ordinary stomach flu or food poisoning. The 6-foot-2, 237-pound Manning was tested for everything from Crohn’s disease to cancer before he was diagnosed with a parasite that caused colitis, an inflammation of the large intestine.

Through it all, Manning didn’t miss a practice. He was on the field for all 21 training camp sessions and the four preseason games. Even when he got off to a slow start and wasn’t performing like the player general manager Ted Thompson thought was worth trading up for and drafting in the fifth round out of N.C. State, Manning never considered using his illness as an excuse. Only after surviving Friday’s final roster cuts did Manning discuss it publicly.

It makes a lot more sense now why Ted kept him around, given how invisible he looked in the preseason. Not even missing a practice when you're more or less incapable of eating or sleeping, shows a sort of commitment that you don't really want to see get out the door.

Not sure if he'll get right until late in the season, though. I guess you can't put someone on IR for intestinal parasites, since it's hard to sell that as a season-long injury.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason we may not have been impressed by Terrell Man Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Apparently throughout camp, he was really sick:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20120902/PKR01/120902032

Quote:
“It was rough,” Manning said. “I had been sick for almost three weeks. I got down to 220 pounds. On top of that, I was stressing out and having to prepare my body to go through camp as well as working on only two hours of sleep, spending the whole night in pain and still trying to learn the plays.”

His problems began the first week of training camp, and the Packers’ medical staff quickly realized this was no ordinary stomach flu or food poisoning. The 6-foot-2, 237-pound Manning was tested for everything from Crohn’s disease to cancer before he was diagnosed with a parasite that caused colitis, an inflammation of the large intestine.

Through it all, Manning didn’t miss a practice. He was on the field for all 21 training camp sessions and the four preseason games. Even when he got off to a slow start and wasn’t performing like the player general manager Ted Thompson thought was worth trading up for and drafting in the fifth round out of N.C. State, Manning never considered using his illness as an excuse. Only after surviving Friday’s final roster cuts did Manning discuss it publicly.

It makes a lot more sense now why Ted kept him around, given how invisible he looked in the preseason. Not even missing a practice when you're more or less incapable of eating or sleeping, shows a sort of commitment that you don't really want to see get out the door.

Not sure if he'll get right until late in the season, though. I guess you can't put someone on IR for intestinal parasites, since it's hard to sell that as a season-long injury.

You might be able to sell it as season-ending if he is out much longer with it. If he isn't able to be up to full strength it might be in his best interest to take some time off football and recover. Not sure of the situation though...

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad they found what was wrong with him. Hopefully he's able to be recover quickly. Really liked him and was disappointed with how he had done so far. Hopefully he looks better once he's better.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Frank-O

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Hope he gets better soon and can contribute on ST for us this year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the best for him. Was looking at the new guys we added to the roster and he was the least impressive by the TV tape TBH. Was wondering earlier what was up with him
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he is mostly recovered right now?

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Siv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh I'm surprised I didn't hear anything about him feeling sick before this. He was already pretty light on weight before this now he's down to 220? Where do we want his weight at? 245?
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And right here is why I trust the coaches and management more than opinions from myself or others around here. So easy to get down on players when too often we see an end result but don't know what's really going on.

At least nobody can question this guys heart or determination. Football teams certainly need tough guys with a strong will. Manning seems to fit that bill.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What impressed me the most is how he kept his mouth shut and still tried to play thru all that. I can't imagine getting out of bed feeling like that let alone trying to play football! Shocked These are the type of guys you want in your lockerroom.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh. That would of been miserable to try and go through camp with. Hopefully that was greatly affecting his play because I have been anything but impressed. If it was me, I know it would of sapped my physical peaks way down so hopefully he gets it all back and can contribute this year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manning was a 5th round pick, did next to nothing in camp, yet he still made the 53. That tells me a lot. Ted and the coaches obviously like what they've seen in this kid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad respect to him for making all the practices. Shows a lot about his character.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it makes sense as to why the team kept him. I agree - I trust Thompson and McCarthy, who spend hours and hours a day with these guys and have a record of success in putting a roster together, way more than the ranting fan.

BTW, I hear tell the parasite was just signed to a division rival's practice squad.
svp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parasites are now being looked for in routine tests.
"They" are looking at a correlation of parasites and obesity
and other physical and mental health problems..

^^ no joke^^

TedThompson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a parasite?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: