Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FA CB S. Smith is expected to seek $8-10 mil on open market
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: FA CB S. Smith is expected to seek $8-10 mil on open market Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5184/sean-smith

Sean Smith | Defensive Back
Team: Miami Dolphins
Age / DOB: (25) / 7/14/1987
Ht / Wt: 6'3' / 214
College: Utah
Free agent CB Sean Smith is expected to seek $8-10 million annually on the open market.

Smith and his agent anticipate a deal somewhere between Brandon Carr (five years, $50 million) and Jason McCourty (five years, $43 million). Per the Miami Herald, the Dolphins don't believe Smith is worth that much and for good reason. Although very physically gifted and only 25, Smith struggles versus smaller, quicker receivers, and Pro Football Focus charted him with more combined first downs and touchdowns allowed than any NFL cornerback in 2012. Feb 8 - 7:07 PMSource: Miami Herald

Thoughts on siging the guy as a #2 CB? Perhaps his 1st downs allowed would go down if he wasn't the #1 corner.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int

Last edited by DawgSoldier on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
FEARtheELF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that much not a chance

stallyns wrote:
I don't remember much before Football's Future.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see any way he leaves Miami, they will either come to a contract agreement or they will tag him

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEARtheELF wrote:

Why? It's not like it's your money? Who would rather sign as a projected FA CB?

Not knocking your opinion just asking for it's basis. Wink

dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since he has problems playing the smaller WRs, but is a decent tackler and ballhawk in zone coverages.....Do you think he would want to transition to FS? I know the money is better at CB, but do you think his ego can go down and become a good/great FS? He's more strong and fast, then quick and agile.....FS would be his best position IMO?

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
FEARtheELF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
FEARtheELF wrote:

No its not my money Laughing

But getting into bad contracts in FA can only hurt you. Yeah we have money but the objective isnt to spend it all just to spend it. FA doesnt win you Super Bowls. Look at Philly, they signed all the top FA, where did that get them? And Smith is not a top tier CB. He is a solid #2 at his best. No chance of being a #1. He is far from a complete package

stallyns wrote:
I don't remember much before Football's Future.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgpound1816 wrote:
Since he has problems playing the smaller WRs, but is a decent tackler and ballhawk in zone coverages.....Do you think he would want to transition to FS? I know the money is better at CB, but do you think his ego can go down and become a good/great FS? He's more strong and fast, then quick and agile.....FS would be his best position IMO?
I agree with the idea of a FS conversion but it may be a non starter in trying to sign him.

roger murdock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think hes close to worth it. I would rather give Kruger 12 million than Smith 10.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
I dont think hes close to worth it. I would rather give Kruger 12 million than Smith 10.

See with the whole kruger thing, he and sheard both play the same spot in the 34. And both a single digit sack guys. IF there both single digit sack guys vs NFL RT's How is one of them going to be better vs NFL LT's?

dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:

I totally agree Smith isn't worth a $10 million contract at CB, but $5-$6 million contract at CB he is. If the Browns are going to spend $$$$ on a CB, I'd rather it be Cary Williams IMO. If Horton runs predominately a man to man attack style D, Cary Williams, if it's a Zone dominant attack....Smith would fit way better. I'm not going to lie and say I know exactly what Horton runs, but they did get rid of DRC easily. He's a man to man guy.

As for Kruger.....Was he a product of the talent next to, infront of and behind him? Or was he that perfect piece to there puzzle? Kruger is very talented and has a relentless motor. He's a good tackler and can provide good pressure. He may not be the one that gets the sack 50+% of the time, but he does his job well. I would put money on Kruger before Smith in a heartbeat.

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
abbs1988

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I wouldn't pay smith all that money is this...

Quote:
1. Cornerback

This position is loaded with quality NFL starters, and the prohibitive $10.67 million cornerback franchise number ensures it will stay that way. Aqib Talib, 27, Brent Grimes, 29, Sean Smith, 25, Chris Houston, 28, Derek Cox, 26, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, 26, all have experience as No. 1 corners, and of them only Grimes will be 30 years old when the 2013 season starts.

Super Bowl champ Cary Williams, 28, is believed to be looking to break the bank and may have trouble landing the lucrative deal he desires. E.J. Biggers, 25, Antoine Cason, 26, Keenan Lewis, 26, and Mike Jenkins, 27, could be more affordable targets with their best football ahead of them. Bradley Fletcher, 26, and Greg Toler, 28, are potential diamonds in the rough. Darius Butler, 26, Brice McCain, 26, Kyle Arrington, 26, and D.J. Moore, 25, can cover the slot on passing downs. Pacman Jones, 29, is coming off a quietly solid season as Cincinnati's nickel back. Jerraud Powers, 25, and Tracy Porter, 26, are intriguing "rehab" projects after injury-affected years.

There are simply too many good young cb's out there this season to over pay on one that MAY not be a good fit for the Browns

LOVE, JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, GOODNESS, KINDNESS, GENTLENESS, FAITHFULNESS, AND SELF-CONTROL
sdrawkcab321 wrote:
I want wiggins
dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abbs1988 wrote:
The reason I wouldn't pay smith all that money is this...

Quote:
1. Cornerback

This position is loaded with quality NFL starters, and the prohibitive $10.67 million cornerback franchise number ensures it will stay that way. Aqib Talib, 27, Brent Grimes, 29, Sean Smith, 25, Chris Houston, 28, Derek Cox, 26, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, 26, all have experience as No. 1 corners, and of them only Grimes will be 30 years old when the 2013 season starts.

Super Bowl champ Cary Williams, 28, is believed to be looking to break the bank and may have trouble landing the lucrative deal he desires. E.J. Biggers, 25, Antoine Cason, 26, Keenan Lewis, 26, and Mike Jenkins, 27, could be more affordable targets with their best football ahead of them. Bradley Fletcher, 26, and Greg Toler, 28, are potential diamonds in the rough. Darius Butler, 26, Brice McCain, 26, Kyle Arrington, 26, and D.J. Moore, 25, can cover the slot on passing downs. Pacman Jones, 29, is coming off a quietly solid season as Cincinnati's nickel back. Jerraud Powers, 25, and Tracy Porter, 26, are intriguing "rehab" projects after injury-affected years.

There are simply too many good young cb's out there this season to over pay on one that MAY not be a good fit for the Browns

Thank You for bringing that to the light....I agree 100%. As for Cary Williams looking to break the bank.....If that's what he wants....It won't be here in Cleveland. I didn't know that's what he wanted.....I mean....I didn't know that's what he valued himself as. haha. Out of all of them that's listed....The 2 that I would want would be EJ Biggers or Keenan Lewis.

Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Bradley Fletcher better

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

DawgX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want him for that price. There are plenty of cornerbacks I rather sign if Smith will only sign for that kind of money.
candyman93

Location: The Man, The Myth, The Legend El Ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEARtheELF wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
FEARtheELF wrote:

No its not my money Laughing

But getting into bad contracts in FA can only hurt you. Yeah we have money but the objective isnt to spend it all just to spend it. FA doesnt win you Super Bowls. Look at Philly, they signed all the top FA, where did that get them? And Smith is not a top tier CB. He is a solid #2 at his best. No chance of being a #1. He is far from a complete package

Hate to disappoint you but we kind of have to spend money.

So Philly example is pointless

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
It'll be a cold day in hell when I read a thread title.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: