Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How bad was our 2005 draft?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
2004 wasn't any great shakes either. In fact almost all the drafts this past decade sucked until Mayhew took over.

Exactly. We had like 10 players from all of Millens drafts combined that we're worth a darn. Even the ones that seemed good went elsewhere and flopped because they were exposed as the best of the worst but still not good.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
2004 wasn't any great shakes either. In fact almost all the drafts this past decade sucked until Mayhew took over.

Exactly. We had like 10 players from all of Millens drafts combined that we're worth a darn. Even the ones that seemed good went elsewhere and flopped because they were exposed as the best of the worst but still not good.

10 MAYBE on a roster, I would say 5 or less that are worth a darn. Laughing

I laugh on the outside because it makes me sad on the inside.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Let's rank them just for fun:

Calvin Johnson
Jeff Backus
Dominic Raiola
Shaun Rogers
Cliff Avril
Corey Redding
Gosder Cherilous
Roy Williams
Ernie Sims
Kevin Smith

Lol, about 5 good players and 5 bums/barley on a roster if at all.

Lionsfanforever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Redding was doing good with the Ravens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionsfanforever wrote:
I thought Redding was doing good with the Ravens.
Yeah, as a 3-4 DE on the same line as Ngata with very good coaches. He's doing ok.

R.I.P. Stylish
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Let's rank them just for fun:

Calvin Johnson
Jeff Backus
Dominic Raiola
Shaun Rogers
Cliff Avril
Corey Redding
Gosder Cherilous
Roy Williams
Ernie Sims
Kevin Smith

Lol, about 5 good players and 5 bums/barley on a roster if at all.

Roy Williams-FA
Ernie Sims-FA
Shaun Rogers-IR (at end of career)

Jeff Backus-solid LT who receives a lot of hate (at end of career)
Gosder Cherilous-so so
Kevin Smith-average
Raiola-average (at end of career)

Avril and Johnson-important parts of team

Redding-solid backup? I don't know much about him anymore.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had only taken those players after the ones we chose in the OP, we would have a great defense.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
EnglishLion20 wrote:
Very, still brings back painful memories.

I nearly chocked on my cup of tea when Mike Williams was announced as the pick, I was convinced at the time it would be Derrick Johnson.

LOL, you're so British.
I did LOL when he choked on his tea. Laughing

Sig bet
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
EnglishLion20 wrote:
Very, still brings back painful memories.

I nearly chocked on my cup of tea when Mike Williams was announced as the pick, I was convinced at the time it would be Derrick Johnson.

LOL, you're so British.
I did LOL when he choked on his tea. Laughing

You were there?
studdogs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
ctad2002 wrote:
who was the gm at that time ??? anyone

A dart board.

tough sledding to even name "pro bowlers" back in that era...sad as )"""")
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont give a hoot what anyone says. Kevin Jones was gonna be a damn good RB till his lis franc injury.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
I dont give a hoot what anyone says. Kevin Jones was gonna be a damn good RB till his lis franc injury.

And Rogers would have if not for the collar bone injuries......

But fact of the matter is, he wasn't great before, and never stuck on anywhere after. He had talent to be a first round pick, it just never developed.

theuntouchable

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

And Rogers would have if not for the collar bone injuries......

But fact of the matter is, he wasn't great before, and never stuck on anywhere after. He had talent to be a first round pick, it just never developed.

Rogers had concerns because of his small frame. It hadnt really affected him until then but there was concerns of i juries due to his frame.

Kevin Jones actually showed WHY he was a first round draft choice and them was injured. Rogers showed a couple flashes then never came back. Jones never stuck anywhere because he wasnt the same back after that injury.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
bzane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad was our 2005 draft?! Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
In 2005, we owned the 10th pick in the first round. I remember watching this at a restaurant called Brooke Street when I was there with my family after church. I got chicken alfredo. It was delicious.

Anyways, this was our draft:
1:10 - Mike Williams
2:37 - Shaun Cody
3:72 - Stanley Wilson
5:145 - Dan Orlovsky
6:184 - Bill Swancutt
6:206 - Johnathon Goddard

Currently, Shaun Cody and Dan Orlovsky are the only two players from that draft currently with an NFL team. Neither made any sort of positive impact for this team.

Also, let's look at hindsight...

1. One pick after Mike Williams was DeMarcus Ware.
2. One pick after Shaun Cody was Stanford Routt.
3. Two picks after Stanley Wilson was Justin Tuck.
4. One pick after Dan Orlovsky was Trent Cole.

So, given the facts that only two players from that draft class is currently with an NFL team and the heartache that 4 players that would make this team other-worldly went one or two picks after our first four selections in that draft, could this draft be considered the worst draft in Lion history?

Not to add to the suffering (enough of that going on already), but in Round 1 the Lions chose Big Mike Williams over, besides DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Aaron Rodgers, and Logan Mankins.

When they took Shaun Cody in Round 2, they preferred him also to Michael Roos (the left tackle they've wanted, all these years), Cory Webster, Vincent Jackson, and Frank Gore (top of Round 3).

In Round 3, when they took Stanley "Steamer" Wilson they were also passing on Nick Kaczur and, in the following round, Marion Barber, Darren Sproles, and Chris Canty.

Admittedly the Lions redeemed themselves by nailing Bill Swancutt in the 6th.

At the time, when I questioned why they would draft a wide receiver with their first-round pick three years in a row, I was answered with howls of rage, charges of High Trolling Against the State, and threats to have me extradited to Michigan for trial for daring to impugn Detroit's drafting strategies and making hurtful imputations about their front office.

Sorry about that. But it could be argued that Calvin Johnson has effaced the memories of many drafting misses, especially The Three Epic WR's.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad was our 2005 draft?! Reply with quote

bzane wrote:
Not to add to the suffering (enough of that going on already), but in Round 1 the Lions chose Big Mike Williams over, besides DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Aaron Rodgers, and Logan Mankins.

It's pretty doubtful the Lions would have selected Rodgers or Mankins. In fact, most pundits panned the Patriots for picking Mankins because he was projected in the 2nd-3rd round.

Quote:
When they took Shaun Cody in Round 2, they preferred him also to Michael Roos (the left tackle they've wanted, all these years), Cory Webster, Vincent Jackson, and Frank Gore (top of Round 3).

Backus was fresh off a contract extension and a really nice 2004 season. Roos wasn't going to be considered an option at all. Jackson and Gore weren't going to be considered because of Rogers-R. Williams-M. Williams and Kevin Jones, all of whom were drafted between 2003 and 2005. Jones and R. Williams in particular went into the 2005 season with high hopes. Cory Webster probably wasn't going to get picked because Dré Bly was a Pro Bowler and Fernando Bryant had just signed a decent-sized contract before the 2004 season.

Quote:
In Round 3, when they took Stanley "Steamer" Wilson they were also passing on Nick Kaczur and, in the following round, Marion Barber, Darren Sproles, and Chris Canty.

Kirk Morrison, too.

Quote:
Admittedly the Lions redeemed themselves by nailing Bill Swancutt in the 6th.

Did Swancutt ever play a regular season game?

Quote:
At the time, when I questioned why they would draft a wide receiver with their first-round pick three years in a row, I was answered with howls of rage, charges of High Trolling Against the State, and threats to have me extradited to Michigan for trial for daring to impugn Detroit's drafting strategies and making hurtful imputations about their front office.

I don't think there were too many people who were immediately okay with that pick. I kept hoping they'd trade him.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: