Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions sign CB Drayton Florence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
Lionsfanforever wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
Where does this leave our cornerbacks?

Houston
Bentley
Florence
Barnes
Greenwood
Green

I've ranked them in order of how I feel they are on the depth chart

Considering Greenwood is on the PUP and we haven't seen him play Green is probably ranked higher.

I still rank Greenwood higher...

Embarassed

Green is ranked higher because he can play now I guess but I would put Greenwood higher...
Where's Lacey at?

My mothers house!

Oh snap!

wait...
No, he's not here.

Well played

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Webmaster

Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_LiOnS wrote:
stfu needle - no one asked you. go think your right about something your not somewhere else

Go_LiOnS wrote:
ok martha stewart sorry i hurt your feelings..go get your flippn teddy bear and tell him about it. idc wth you just shut up then. my comments are childish but his were not..got to be kidding me. quit qouting me then shut the sissy crap up.

Go_Lions has been banned. He's been warned numerous times for various rule violations and has been given a temp ban in the past. He apparently has no intention of following the forum rules.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
At this point I don't think anyone is suggesting he be fired.

Go_LiOnS wrote:
you also dont think GMs use the media to ther advantage to keep ther jobs?

There was more previous, don't feel like digging it up. But yeah, someone suggested firing him. And suggested the fans getting mad over him not addressing the secondary would be enough to get him fired. That was what I was addressing.

I understood him to be saying Mayhew uses the media to get buyin from the fans.

He made numerous references to the media parroting Mayhews statements about trying to sign free agents and trade up the questioned how true those statements were.

For example he may have tried to land a particular CB. It's impossible to know how serious an offer was made. I think those are the points he's trying to make.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Go_LiOnS wrote:

There was more previous, don't feel like digging it up. But yeah, someone suggested firing him. And suggested the fans getting mad over him not addressing the secondary would be enough to get him fired. That was what I was addressing.

He made numerous references to the media parroting Mayhews statements about trying to sign free agents and trade up the questioned how true those statements were.

For example he may have tried to land a particular CB. It's impossible to know how serious an offer was made. I think those are the points he's trying to make.

I don't know, the bolded seems pretty clear what he is alluding to, to me.
Go_LiOnS wrote:
its annoying... just another mayhew mind fn the people. the guy should be in office.

And this appeared to be another grammar malfunction. It appeared to me "Mayhew....Shouldn't be in office"

Don't matter now. No longer here to defend himself or clarify so I guess it just gets buried.

I agree it is about time Mayhew did something a little more obvious to improve the secondary, I just disagreed with the sentiment he should be fired over it. If I misinterpreted it, that is my fault. Really hard to sift through the grammar errors.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Our success is a direct reflection of the decisions that Mayhew has made up to this point.

He traded mid-late round picks to acquire a handful of starters that have contributed immensely: Chris Houston, Rob Sims, Corey Williams, Tony Scheffler and Shaun Hill. He drafted players in the mid rounds that have had a great impact for this team: DeAndre Levy, Sammie Lee Hill and Willie Young. He brought in the right free agents for this team: Nate Burleson, Kyle Vanden Bosch and Kevin Durant. It's not just Stafford: Ndamukong Suh, Louis Delmas, Titus Young, Brandon Pettigrew and Jahvid Best all led to the success we enjoyed last season.

His decisions have led to our success. I can't see a reasonable argument that tries to convince otherwise.

I am certainly not arguing his decisions have brought the Lions success. They certainly have.

I am simply of the opinion he has more work to do and I don't feel he has made an adequate effort to improve the secondary. I know he has tried but the resources expended in attempts to improve the unit rank far behind resources spent in almost every area except linebacker.

This past draft is the first time he has drafted a cornerback except for Spievey whom they converted to safety (superman2000 nailed that didnt he)From a draft perspective he basically ignored the unit. He has certainly churned the roster in the secondary.

I understand from media reports that he tried to move up in the draft for PP but the cost was to high. I understand he talked to free agents and the cost was to high.

At some point he is simply going to have to pay the cost to get that unit improved. Without improvement I don't see the Lions getting further than first round exits.

I do have to qualify my statement by saying that perhaps in two years I will be eating a large helping of crow. I say this because Mayhew has found talent in the draft and maybe after two years Bentley, Greenwood or Florence will be a shutdown player appearing in the pro bowl. Lord knows Mayhew is infinitely more skilled at player evaluation than I Cool

So I'm just a simple fan who looks at a terribly inadequate secondary every year. I see the free agents signing elsewhere and other teams drafting the position and improving and it's disheartening.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not advocating his firing or changes in the coaching staff. Overall he has done a very good job. It's just better in some areas than others.

I have also thought, and perhaps it will still happen, that Mayhew's BPA approach would eventually create sufficient high end depth in an area where they can trade a roster player for an impact CB.

I just don't know. Perhaps I should dial him up and give him the benefit of my anything but expert advice.

Laughing Laughing

P.S. I can't use more than two emoticons because emoticon usage is the protected realm of lions1957. (us old farts stick together)

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Go_LiOnS wrote:

Good point if delivered that way. Delivery came off so rough message may have been misunderstood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Go_LiOnS wrote:

I don't know, the bolded seems pretty clear what he is alluding to, to me.
Go_LiOnS wrote:
its annoying... just another mayhew mind fn the people. the guy should be in office.

And this appeared to be another grammar malfunction. It appeared to me "Mayhew....Shouldn't be in office"

Don't matter now. No longer here to defend himself or clarify so I guess it just gets buried.

I agree it is about time Mayhew did something a little more obvious to improve the secondary, I just disagreed with the sentiment he should be fired over it. If I misinterpreted it, that is my fault. Really hard to sift through the grammar errors.

Perhaps it's me that misunderstood his point. Reading his posts was a bit like trying to tip toe through a mine field in oversized boots.

If that was his intent I certainly don't understand. Mayhew hasn't been perfect but he has been very, very good. We have all dissected his every move in the draft but the problem remains one just can't be sure how another draft pick would have worked out here.

You and I are both old enough to remember a number of free agent signings in this league where players just haven't fit with their new teams. Drafted players are like that too. They look good because of the way they are used on the team that drafted them. Elsewhere they might bust.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100% That is one more amongst many reasons a team needs to build through the draft. A team can evaluate more closely precisely how a guy fits scheme, maybe what type of coach a player responds to, and infinite other factors. You can literally get the guy that fits right in. When signing a FA or trading for a player, you often are trading for a highly talented guy, hoping you can make him fit. And often they will not fit the round hole when it is all said and done. Asante Samuel comes to mind right off the top. Albert Haynesworth. Just amazing wastes of cap space.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points may have had some validity thought at this point I'm not sure I would agree with them or not.

Delivery, maturity, and responses were definitely lacking.

Mayhew's faults have not outweighed his progress with this team. Its not even close to me. I may be blind due to Millen years but Mayhew is on the right track and I will support him this year and next.

Not that I don't question his moves but given his success, I will tend to lean more supportive rather than unsupportive.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Agree 100% That is one more amongst many reasons a team needs to build through the draft. A team can evaluate more closely precisely how a guy fits scheme, maybe what type of coach a player responds to, and infinite other factors. You can literally get the guy that fits right in. When signing a FA or trading for a player, you often are trading for a highly talented guy, hoping you can make him fit. And often they will not fit the round hole when it is all said and done. Asante Samuel comes to mind right off the top. Albert Haynesworth. Just amazing wastes of cap space.

The Eagles were rather funny they get a zone corner and a man corner who can't play zone. So they put Asomugha in a zone. Big mistake.

Now with Cromartie and Asomugha playing man the secondary will be much better.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:

I would think our scouts and talent evaluators would take those things into consideration rather than just liking a guy based off of name recognition. That may explain why we haven't made a move for a guy.

I agree that I would rather have a fresh young guy out of college rather than an aging veteran. Youth, ability to learn and adapt, and lack of ego are big parts of building through a draft (something I agree with wholeheartedly) but I doubt that our scouts trade for or recommend a guy hoping he fits in based simply off something the player did years ago.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

I would think our scouts and talent evaluators would take those things into consideration rather than just liking a guy based off of name recognition. That may explain why we haven't made a move for a guy.

I agree that I would rather have a fresh young guy out of college rather than an aging veteran. Youth, ability to learn and adapt, and lack of ego are big parts of building through a draft (something I agree with wholeheartedly) but I doubt that our scouts trade for or recommend a guy hoping he fits in based simply off something the player did years ago.

They do but just like teams miss on draft picks they miss on trades and free agent signings.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Our success is a direct reflection of the decisions that Mayhew has made up to this point.

He traded mid-late round picks to acquire a handful of starters that have contributed immensely: Chris Houston, Rob Sims, Corey Williams, Tony Scheffler and Shaun Hill. He drafted players in the mid rounds that have had a great impact for this team: DeAndre Levy, Sammie Lee Hill and Willie Young. He brought in the right free agents for this team: Nate Burleson, Kyle Vanden Bosch and Kevin Durant. It's not just Stafford: Ndamukong Suh, Louis Delmas, Titus Young, Brandon Pettigrew and Jahvid Best all led to the success we enjoyed last season.

His decisions have led to our success. I can't see a reasonable argument that tries to convince otherwise.

Imagine all the hate for all the jump balls Stafford would be throwing then Laughing

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, pure desperation signing. Drayton Florence sucks. Nobody in here will like him after three games. Can't believe we released Silva for this fool. If we are going to compete, Bentley, Houston, and Delmas have to come back otherwise we're in for a long one.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieYoungSon wrote:
Wow, pure desperation signing. Drayton Florence sucks. Nobody in here will like him after three games. Can't believe we released Silva for this fool. If we are going to compete, Bentley, Houston, and Delmas have to come back otherwise we're in for a long one.
How is it a desperation signing? He's at best our #4 barring injuries.

R.I.P. Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: