Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Two be, or to keep Three? That is the question.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Two be, or to keep Three? That is the question. Reply with quote

The Minnesota Vikings are entering training camp with only three quarterbacks—something they’ve only done once in the last seven years (in 2010, with Tavaris Jackson, Sage Rosenfels and Joe Webb)—and could potentially enter the season with only two. It’s a bit foreign to Vikings fans, but becoming much more common in the NFL. In 2009, only seven teams opened the season with only two quarterbacks (Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, New York Giants, Chicago, Jacksonville and Washington). In 2013, that total doubled. Much of this has to do with the elimination of the “third quarterback rule,” which functionally gave NFL teams a free active roster spot reserved for a third quarterback but limited their usage.

In the last five years, both Mike Zimmer and Norv Turner have been on squads that more often than not only had two quarterbacks on their roster—out of ten opening day rosters, they’ve had exactly two quarterbacks six times. Since the rule change, they’ve only had one roster out of six with three quarterbacks (Cleveland last year). Perhaps also relevant is the fact that Turner has had a few rosters before the rule change with only two quarterbacks (2010 with San Diego and 2004 with Oakland).

Rick Spielman, who of course will have a significant impact on the final roster, has only ever had three quarterbacks on his rosters come opening day.

http://cover32.com/vikings/2014/06/06/will-the-minnesota-vikings-carry-three-quarterbacks-on-opening-day/

what say ye, keep all three or drop to two?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep two and add an extra QB to the practice squad. More teams are starting to take this approach.

Ponder would really have to do well in camp and preseason for the Vikes to consider carrying that third QB.

I am a bit surprised that they dont have a 4th QB. Most teams carry a 4th QB as to not overwork the other three in camp.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I would keep two and add an extra QB to the practice squad. More teams are starting to take this approach.

Ponder would really have to do well in camp and preseason for the Vikes to consider carrying that third QB.

I am a bit surprised that they dont have a 4th QB. Most teams carry a 4th QB as to not overwork the other three in camp.

We may pick up another before camp when someone gets cut.

As to the OP by VD, I think in our situation it would be prudent to keep all 3. I don't think 2015 is our year to make a deep playoff push, so I want to have that extra insurance to keep Teddy's development on track in case he's not 100% ready. IMO Teddy will start day 1, but if that's not the case, then let's keep all 3 and really make sure we don't rush things.
Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we keep all 3. At this point I think ponder wont be a distraction, and he is probably a better 3rd option than anything we'll be able to pick up. Plus we MIGHT luck into a situation where a playoff contender loses its QB for a little bit around week 6 and we could still potentially flip ponder for a late round pick.

Here's to football!

Ndakasimba kana makasimbawo
perrynoid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible we are just using 3 so Ponder gets as much work as possible? Not only so the new coaching staff knows what they have in him, but so perhaps they can improve his game enough to get some trade value out of him when some other teams QB gets injured in training camp? It would really suck not getting anything out of the 12th overall player picked in his draft class.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrynoid wrote:
Is it possible we are just using 3 so Ponder gets as much work as possible? Not only so the new coaching staff knows what they have in him, but so perhaps they can improve his game enough to get some trade value out of him when some other teams QB gets injured in training camp? It would really suck not getting anything out of the 12th overall player picked in his draft class.

Thats what I'm hoping for.

If he can make some positive plays in preseason, and injuries occur to other clubs, I'd imagine Ponder's phone will be ringing.

but, chances are we're only getting a 6th round pick for him. He ain't no Ricky Mirer, ya know?

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think that Ponder is on the roster this year. As he should be. He has a fair amount of starting experience and we don't really gain anything by cutting him. I don't think that anyone will be interested in trading anything of value for him (especially if they know that we might cut him). If something happens to Cassel and they don't think Teddy is quite ready, it makes sense to keep Ponder around rather than signing a guy off the street that would have to get up to speed on the offense. Ponder could be serviceable for a couple-few games if necessary. Outside of fans' disdain for Ponder, it makes far more sense to keep him on the team than to cut him.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, more often than not, the reason that teams keep only 2 QBs is that you have an entrenched starter who has a history of staying healthy. That certainly isn't the circumstance here.

I think going only with 2 in this situation is far too risky and could lead them to fall into a Buffalo-type situation, where you could be scrambling to find someone to start during the middle of the season because your starter is banged up and then your backup gets injured in the middle of a game.

They have 2 potentially solid backups with Ponder and Cassel, along with a rookie Bridgewater. Don't risk it by cutting one just because you think you can get by. Cassel and Ponder aren't exactly the most durable players, and you don't know yet how Bridgewater will hold up.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
I still think that Ponder is on the roster this year. As he should be. He has a fair amount of starting experience and we don't really gain anything by cutting him. I don't think that anyone will be interested in trading anything of value for him (especially if they know that we might cut him). If something happens to Cassel and they don't think Teddy is quite ready, it makes sense to keep Ponder around rather than signing a guy off the street that would have to get up to speed on the offense. Ponder could be serviceable for a couple-few games if necessary. Outside of fans' disdain for Ponder, it makes far more sense to keep him on the team than to cut him.

Well stated, WC. I couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, I like keeping 3. QB is one position where anything can go wrong fast. If you look back to last year (not saying all could go wrong like last year) we went thru 3 QB. Ponder Started and Failed, Freeman, Started and Failed, Cassel was productive.

Say this year Teddy ends up starting and in game one or two he gets hurt, we go to another QB (most likely Cassel) and he goes down, we at least have one other QB to resort to. Jerick McKinnon did play some QB ball in college but we did not draft him as a QB and i highly doubt any other team would have as a QB. I would hate to the Vikings have to resort to that.

As a team that is trying to rebuild with these new young players QB is a position that we will need to have some confidence in. I have more faith in Ponder being on our roster as a 3rd QB as a "just in case" move, then i do having to resort to a FA QB come in and learn the system quick or having McKinnon have to jump in and try and play some QB ball for the Vikings.

-All Hail Raindays, Back on FootballsFuture!

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we keep all 3, as we should. As previous posters have said in case of emergency he'd be better than any 3rd option we could pick up.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Ben Goessling of ESPN.com, Ponder has no chance of winning the starting job or backup job with the Vikings and will likely get released sometime before the season starter.

Goessling writes that Minnesota is more invested in Cassel and Bridgewater than they are with Ponder. After not picking up his fifth-year option, the team is preparing to release him now or let him walk away in free agency. Financially, it makes sense to keep Ponder since he must get paid either way, but if the Vikings opt to only carry two quarterbacks this season, they will not think twice before dumping the former first-round draft pick.

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/31010/20140610/minnesota-vikings-rumors-christian-ponder-released-teddy-bridgewater-named-matt-cassel-backup-qb-mike-zimmer-trade-texans-jaguars.htm

the article also states Zimmer is denying a trade rumor of Ponder to the Jags and/or Texans, yet there's no direct quote from him on it.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im surprised that MN doesnt have a 4th QB right now if they truly intend on moving on from Ponder soon. You really need four arms to get through the rigors of camp. I certainly dont want to see Bridgewater and Cassel getting significant reps in preseason (and risk injury) because there arent more QBs on the roster.

MN should take what they can get for Ponder and look for a couple of camp bodies to replace him.

What is MBT up to these days?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
According to Ben Goessling of ESPN.com, Ponder has no chance of winning the starting job or backup job with the Vikings and will likely get released sometime before the season starter.

Goessling writes that Minnesota is more invested in Cassel and Bridgewater than they are with Ponder. After not picking up his fifth-year option, the team is preparing to release him now or let him walk away in free agency. Financially, it makes sense to keep Ponder since he must get paid either way, but if the Vikings opt to only carry two quarterbacks this season, they will not think twice before dumping the former first-round draft pick.

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/31010/20140610/minnesota-vikings-rumors-christian-ponder-released-teddy-bridgewater-named-matt-cassel-backup-qb-mike-zimmer-trade-texans-jaguars.htm

the article also states Zimmer is denying a trade rumor of Ponder to the Jags and/or Texans, yet there's no direct quote from him on it.

Why not just cite the original Goessling report?! I hate these third-party sites that just leach the information from the actual reporters. I've never even heard of SportsWorldReport before.
Krauser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even find a Goessling article that says what's paraphrased there.

There are a couple of articles from before the draft, when Ponder's option wasn't picked up, saying that he'd be a backup to Cassel and the team would look for a backup in the draft.

There's this "Vikings mailbag" from a couple days ago:

Quote:
Justin VanWhye @JustinVanWyhe
@GoesslingESPN does CP7 have a legitimate shot in the qb competition or just in case of injury ? #vikingsmail

@GoesslingESPN: The Vikings have talked about their desire for competition at every position, and quarterback is no exception to that rule. However, I don't see Christian Ponder as having better than an outside chance at the starting job for a couple reasons. First, the Vikings have a clearer stake in their other two quarterbacks -- Matt Cassel and Teddy Bridgewater -- than they do in Ponder. They signed Cassel to a two-year deal, took Bridgewater in the first round of the draft and will let Ponder become a free agent after this season. In last week's open OTA, Cassel and Bridgewater got the majority of the reps, while Ponder attempted just two short throws before the start of the 2-minute drill period. Second, Ponder hasn't done anything yet -- at least in what we've seen -- to suggest he's changed enough to challenge for the job. He threw a bad interception last week, and should've had a screen pass picked off by Corey Wootton the week before. Ponder talked last week about the idea that he could have "leverage" heading into free agency, since he'll get to pick his next team, but saying that doesn't make it a reality. The only way he'll have real leverage is to play well enough in training camp and the preseason to make teams think they need to take another look at him. In the meantime, the Vikings are devoting more of their resources to Cassel and Bridgewater, which would suggest those two are being viewed as the more serious candidates to start. To use a dated political reference, Ponder is sort of like Ross Perot: He's in the race, but it'd take a major shift for him to be anything more than a footnote.

Felice antinarella @fantinarella
@GoesslingESPN #VikingsMail Why no udfa QB on roster to develop?

@GoesslingESPN: They'd signed Travis Partridge as an undrafted free agent, but released him last month. Still, I wouldn't rule out adding another quarterback at some point. The Vikings would have limited snaps for another quarterback with two veterans on the roster and Bridgewater needing time to develop, .but with Ponder hitting free agency after this year and Cassel only signed through next season, it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Vikings to find another young QB they could possibly mold into a backup for Bridgewater down the road. That could happen later this summer, if someone gets cut that catches the Vikings' eye, or it could happen through an in-season pickup. Remember, teams don't have to set their rosters for almost two months. There will be plenty of players the Vikings could think about signing between now and the start of the season.

Those answers put Ponder 3rd on the depth chart (which is where he's been in OTAs) but don't say that he'd likely be released before the season starts.

The advantages of keeping Ponder on the roster as a 3rd QB:
-- he's been paid for, no change in the cap to keep him
-- experienced depth in case of injury, especially if Cassel goes down before they want Bridgewater to start
-- possible trade with another team needing an injury replacement (last year: St Louis, Green Bay might've been interested)
-- if he leaves in FA at the end of the year, without being cut, his 2nd contract would factor in to the compensatory draft pick calculations (might net a late round pick even without being able to arrange a trade)

Disadvantages:
-- takes up a roster spot (on the 53, he wouldn't have to dress for games) that could be used for a 6th WR or CB or a 7th LB etc
-- ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: