Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ryan Cook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People hate him on the Vikings because he is below average if you want him as a starter, but as a stop-gap back-up sort of player covering for a lot of positions, he isn't bad at all.

Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
well if he starts, you guys might want to introduce Tony Romo and Demarco Murray to the field turf, because they're going to be meeting and hitting the ground quite alot if Cooks starts.

No need to introduce Romo. They have become pretty close friends over the years. Romo tries to resist, but the peer pressure the offensive line puts on him is just too much at times.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
Freakout

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Thats a testament to how poor our interior O-line and overall O-line depth is...yea its that bad.

but it didn't get any better with Cook.

for us, Cook was versatile, being able to play three positions, but not excell at any of them. and we'll always have a bad purple taste in our mouths as the Viking exec who drafted him, who was fired six weeks later, did so in the SECOND round.

Its natural to be upset/bitter when you waste a premium pick on a bust. The only optimism we have is he apparently played decent as a center for the Dolphins.

Cook was a center coming out of college but Brad Childress and co. moved him to right tackle and started him his rookie year. Cook's biggest struggle early on wasn't his blocking. It was false starts which isn't surprising due to going from snapping the ball to being on the outside.

I never disliked the guy and I do think our old staff deserves some blame for the way they handled him coming into the league. We never gave him a shot to show us anything at center despite him playing his college career at the spot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-7 is simply too tall to be an NFL Center.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

We Cowboys fans, as a whole, have already come to an overwhelming conclusion that a dead Rhinoceros would be a more talented Center than Phil Costa. We tend to believe Cook might be better, 6'7'' or not.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

We Cowboys fans, as a whole, have already come to an overwhelming conclusion that a dead Rhinoceros would be a more talented Center than Phil Costa. We tend to believe Cook might be better, 6'7'' or not.

I personally think RG is his likely best position. He just is too much of a liability at OT, and most shorter NT types might be able to have there way with a 6-7 Center. He loses a ton of leverage due to that height.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I personally think RG is his likely best position. He just is too much of a liability at OT, and most shorter NT types might be able to have there way with a 6-7 Center. He loses a ton of leverage due to that height.

Well considering we are comparing Cook to Costa and Arkin......I think Cook>>>>>>>>>>>Costa/Arkin. I dont think you realize what level of suck these guys are on. I dont expect him to be the answer though.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Well considering we are comparing Cook to Costa and Arkin......I think Cook>>>>>>>>>>>Costa/Arkin. I dont think you realize what level of suck these guys are on. I dont expect him to be the answer though.

i guess it DOES show how lowly the Cowboy o-line is if they feel a guy who has the value of a 7th rounder will make an improvement.

i didn't realize how big a problem it was over there in the Lonestar State.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Same could be said for Cook, when he was a starter here. Atleast at RT.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:

i guess it DOES show how lowly the Cowboy o-line is if they feel a guy who has the value of a 7th rounder will make an improvement.

i didn't realize how big a problem it was over there in the Lonestar State.

If nothing else, he can put Arkin back to his natural spot of OG and push Costa for the starting spot.

There is no question that after revamping our DBs this off-season, Center is by far our weakest spot on the entire roster.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember all the glowing reports of Cook's versatility and nastiness when he was drafted . . . waaaaay too high IMO. He obviously never lived up to the hype when with the Vikes. Whether he was a center in a tackle's body or a tackle that happens to excel at center remains to be seen.

I do believe that the Vikes, with Birk at center, should've mentored Cook more -- like a year or two. He may perform consideribly better as a center than as a tackle -- but now he needs shake off a ton of rust.
Yfz01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might be an upgrade for them. He's not a long term starter, but he's a player that is good for versatility at a backup position. Maybe he won't have so many penalties if he's the one snapping the football?

Lil Uno with the sig.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yfz01 wrote:
He might be an upgrade for them. He's not a long term starter, but he's a player that is good for versatility at a backup position. Maybe he won't have so many penalties if he's the one snapping the football?

If there is a question to his mental skills and discipline, Center might be the last place you want him as he is responsible for line calls and getting everyone lined up. I still contend his best position is at RG. He is closer to the Center, so there should be fewer penalties, and he doensnt have to block speed rushers on the outside.
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, we traded Culpepper for this dude.

EFF YOUR FANTASY TEAM, I HOPE YOU LOSE

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
Haha, we traded Culpepper for this dude.

gawd, that's right. and we got that 2nd round pick from... the Dolphins.

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: