Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphins and Packers discussing James Jones Trade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Miami wants to blow the doors down with an offer, then go ahead. Darn near every player is tradeable for the right price.

But you don't trade guys just to trade them. James Jones is cheap, is a better Wide Receiver than Borel, Gurley, Boykin, or Driver, and it's not like he's a bad citizen or anything. He has a lot of value to this team. You don't trade him unless Miami is prepared to provide more value in return. I mean, darn near every team in the NFL would give you a 7th round pick for James Jones, so he's easy to trade!

Part of me suspects that there's no substance here, it's just a reporter inventing a story that is plausible (Dolphins have a need at WR, Jones was reportedly available for trade during the draft, Philbin provides a GB/MIA connection) so in the off-chance that it happens, the reporter sounds brilliant, and in the likely case it doesn't happen... well, these things usually fall through anyway.
chucknorris101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
If Miami wants to blow the doors down with an offer, then go ahead. Darn near every player is tradeable for the right price.

But you don't trade guys just to trade them. James Jones is cheap, is a better Wide Receiver than Borel, Gurley, Boykin, or Driver, and it's not like he's a bad citizen or anything. He has a lot of value to this team. You don't trade him unless Miami is prepared to provide more value in return. I mean, darn near every team in the NFL would give you a 7th round pick for James Jones, so he's easy to trade!

Part of me suspects that there's no substance here, it's just a reporter inventing a story that is plausible (Dolphins have a need at WR, Jones was reportedly available for trade during the draft, Philbin provides a GB/MIA connection) so in the off-chance that it happens, the reporter sounds brilliant, and in the likely case it doesn't happen... well, these things usually fall through anyway.

What he said.

Everyone seems ready to unload him at the drop of a hat, but for all his drops he really has some skill and is a big reason we are so deep at WR 1-5. I think we've seen this preseason that the next guys up may not quite be ready for the big time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:

I think it's the fact that we've got a replaceable player (Randall Cobb) who can probably produce at a similar if not higher rate along with young guys whom are going to need a roster spot. If the Packers can get compensation for a player whose not in the future for the Packers, they should do it. Not saying they should take just about any offer that comes up, but if the Dolphins come offering a third or fourth round pick I'd seriously consider it.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TedThompson wrote:
James Jones was our 2nd leading receiver in the XLV win over the Steelers.
He also scored key touchdowns at Philly & at Atlanta when games were close.

I know he's dropped plenty, so did a lot of guys last year. The thing is, he makes plays. A lot of them.

And he's a good dude, mature, you don't have to worry about him. And he's a bargain.

I love the potential of our young guys, but we already know what we get from JJ89, and it was good enough to help us win a Super Bowl.

I want at least what we used to get him and that's a 3rd rounder.
I'd rather keep him though, unless we get a player who can help make us better.

If by 2nd, you actually mean third, then yes.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenNgoldGirl wrote:
Pull the trigger, TT!
I'm with you .. If they are offering up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for James Jones I'm in.

The Packers have guys like Gurley and Borel waiting in the wings .. just hoping for an opportunity. TT thought enough of both last year to give them pay boost while on the PS.

Cobb also needs more snaps. I think we are deep enough to make a deal like this.
TedThompson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
TedThompson wrote:

I know he's dropped plenty, so did a lot of guys last year. The thing is, he makes plays. A lot of them.

And he's a good dude, mature, you don't have to worry about him. And he's a bargain.

I love the potential of our young guys, but we already know what we get from JJ89, and it was good enough to help us win a Super Bowl.

If my memory serves me correct, did he or did he not have the 2nd most receptions in that game? Not 3rd.
DannyB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TedThompson wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
TedThompson wrote:

If my memory serves me correct, did he or did he not have the 2nd most receptions in that game? Not 3rd.

Third in yardage.

Anyways, if it's a decent draft pick (3rd or 2nd would be ridiculous), then HELL YES.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want him traded. His value surpasses a 4th round pick for this team. He's young. He knows the playbook. He's cheap. Oh and he's also really damn effective. He's the 3rd or 4th WR. He's not going to get a gob of targets, but how many backup WR's do what he does with the targets he gets?
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
I don't want him traded. His value surpasses a 4th round pick for this team. He's young. He knows the playbook. He's cheap. Oh and he's also really damn effective. He's the 3rd or 4th WR. He's not going to get a gob of targets, but how many backup WR's do what he does with the targets he gets?
Not really interested in trading Jones, need to resign Jennings, need to send Driver out on top and need to get Rodgers 5500 yards. Of course, if Miami wants him for THEIR third round pick I would have to give it some serious consideration, Jones is 28 already.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:

When you've got other alternatives who are as good maybe even better than him, and you get pick compensation return for him you've got to do it.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:

When you've got other alternatives who are as good maybe even better than him, and you get pick compensation return for him you've got to do it.
Who's that? I sure don't see Gurley or Borel close to Jones' abilities.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:

James Jones is our #3 WR on a good day right? So, you don't think that Randall Cobb or even Donald Driver to a lesser extent could replace the production that James Jones would give us? If the Dolphins are offering a third or fourth round pick for Jones, you have to seriously consider it. Jones has a ton of talent, but IMO doesn't always play up to it.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
TheGreatZepp wrote:

James Jones is our #3 WR on a good day right? So, you don't think that Randall Cobb or even Donald Driver to a lesser extent could replace the production that James Jones would give us? If the Dolphins are offering a third or fourth round pick for Jones, you have to seriously consider it. Jones has a ton of talent, but IMO doesn't always play up to it.

Nothing I would disagree with there. Sure you consider anything that comes by. I just don't hand in that paper work unless I'm blow away. I sure as hell don't make that trade because I want to see player x on the field over Jones. Jones is a good player that comes on the cheap over the next TWO years. There is value in that. Much can happen between now and then.

LIS, hard to dump talent for picks on a team this close!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i wouldn't want to ship Jones for picks at this point in the year.

And there isn't much on their roster worth having either, honestly. It's pretty ugly.

I'd take Bush probably. Starks for sure.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
TheGreatZepp wrote:

So what you're saying is that the Packers can afford to lose him as depth as opposed truly having a better alternative which to me would be a replacement for his roster spot.

Sure, a draft pick is nice but you have to balance building for the future with winning now and I don't see anyone outside of Jennings and Nelson being able to have his kind of impact on the outside over the next two years. With last year's equally loaded passing attack, he proved quite valuable, don't see why that would change.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: