Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Air Raid Offense and Shanahan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCRED

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Air Raid Offense and Shanahan Reply with quote

Ok I posted a link to this article in another thread, then decided maybe it needed a thread of its own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_offense

Last week we saw Shanahan opening up his playbook and running plays that he hadn't run since the end of Elway's career in Denver. I remember years ago those "new" Broncos uniforms and a blazing, unique Offense when he had that cast of players. When he had Jake Plummer at QB he went to more of the bootleg style of play for the QB but with Elway, MCaffrey, Rod Smith he really opened up the Offense and showed his creative Genius.

Lots of screen passes spreading the Defense out all over the field, 4 WR, 1 RB sets that looked like an aerial assault for the time, Elway in the shotgun coolly shredding opposing Defenses, then rolling out and nailing a long bomb off of playaction...But his Offense week to week was always dangerous and the Game Plan unpredictable.

Then as I read this article not only did I see that Mike Shanahan invented the Shallow Cross, a staple of the Offense that RG3 ran at Baylor, but I started noticing many similarities in the Air Raid Offense and what Mike Shanahan was doing in Denver at times. I hope this means that he can finally unleash the Offensive prowess that we have been waiting for.

Alot of what we see from today's WCO, even elements that the New England Patriots use with Wes Welker (that he learned in the Air Raid) were designs that Mike Shanahan invented and perfected. Then as Shanahan's rosters changed through the years he limited his playbook and tried to use plays to his players' strengths. But alot of what we see being successful so often around the league actually came from our coach.

The NFL is cyclical, all Offenses seem to resurface after a time like the Wildcat does. Are we about to see the Broncos/49ers style Offense all over again with even new wrinkles from the Mad Genius?

Now he has found a QB that not only is capable of running the plays in his full playbook, but we have a good assortment of WR's and RB's to give him many of the same options as he had when his Offenses were KILLING the league in SF and Denver.

Check out the Air Raid Offense that RG3 ran at Baylor, the similarities in a Mike Shanahan Offense that is running on all cylinders, and let me know what you think. Am I seeing something that's not there?
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanahan adds new wrinkles every year and this year the Pistol formation seems to be the biggest change. It's hilarious to me that Pierre Garcon was known as nothing more than a deep threat in the general forum yet so far he's been lined up very tight and used primarily as an after the catch threat and has been killing it. Laughing I bet some of those clowns are still calling Garcon nothing more than an inconsistant deep threat, little do they know. Anyway on that point, I liked what I saw from the formation with the screen passes. Shanahan always used a sort of 4 receiver bunch formation to deal with man coverage and I think this formation is essentially the replacement for that, and I think it will be an improvement.

As far as the runs with Griffin, they were nice as a change-up to take the defense off-guard but I thought it was a bit gimmicky at times and you probably noticed the Redskins become more about the typical zone stretch plays with the QB under Center in the 2nd half.

I will be curious to see how the team develops the zone stretch game out of the pistol formation, because I think there might be potential there. If all of these different things come together you will start seeing more teams using the Pistol. Chan Gailey did it with Tyler Thigpen in the past but it looks like the Redskins are the first team making an effort to incorporate the Pistol as a staple of the offense. It's something to keep an eye on.
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Call on the Pistol antisuperstar.

Changes the run game as well as the passing game alot.
So many reasons why that will help him in the NFL : easier to read Defense, ball is not snapped as far allowing for quicker release etc..

Somehow I didn't even catch that he was lined up in the Pistol so much because I was looking at the rest of the field. Thanks

Last edited by DCRED on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sweet as I said in the other thread nothing really to add. Great post dcred
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Pretty sweet as I said in the other thread nothing really to add. Great post dcred

Thanks turtle.
Looking forward to yours and everyone's analysis each week. I don't watch much college football so alot of things go right by me. Like the incorporation of the Pistol last week. While alot of the scheme and routes were similar to what we have seen before, that small detail about RG3 lining up closer to the line in shotgun escaped me. So I'm glad we can talk on here about all of these things we see happening. I'll enjoy the games more as I learn more.

I'm looking back thinking about High-Powered Offenses of old, forgetting that one of Shanahan's strengths is invention. There's no telling what kind of designs we are going to see this year. And I don't have the football knowledge that comes up on here all the time. So I appreciate when you guys bring up the stuff I miss- which leaves alot to add Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: