Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason, Week 4: Vikings at Texans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loganhelland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Can I get a summary of the game from someone I wasn't able to catch it.

Replacement officials blow a bunch of calls, in between there was some football played

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QBs:
-Sage should be kept, he is consistent and clearly the vet of the group.
-Webb played with great poise today but I'm still iffy with him as a QB.
-MBT is very inaccurate. Does everything else right from reads/decision making to pocket presence. Webb was more productive today, but MBT was more impressive.

HBs:
-Hilliard is gone
-Asiata has found a spot on somebody's roster
-Todman probably stole Asiata's spot with his performance and special teams value.

WR:
-The light is turning on for Wright. No update on his injury.
-Aromashadou gets deep but runs too close to the sideline. All 3 QBs missed him threw him out of bounds.
-Arcenaux ran some good routes but his QB was off target
-Ellison is going to a reliable player
-Burton too found some holes but MBT kept missing him.

Oline:
-There is only 2, maybe 3 capable starters behind the starting 5.

Dline:
-2nd team line was pushed around all game on the ground. Without looking at numbers I'd say the Texans averaged 10 YPC as a unit. They did generate pressure on 3rd down.

LBs:
-Dean didn't play well and probably lost his spot
-Cole looked good in coverage and was all around the football
-McKenzie made a few key ST tackles

DBs:
-Blanton took a bad angle early, but played solid the rest of the way
-Carr/Bowman did nothing to improve/decrease their chances from what I remember.
-Reggie Jones muffed a punt and got beat a few times

Good Luck Chris Cook.
Freakout

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you want about Rosenfels but he has looked solid this preseason. Standing in and taking some hits to make plays. Applause

As of now I see this.

AP, Toby, Todman - Nothing at all against Asiata but Todman brings a different element. Todman along with his speed gives you another kick return option as well. Maybe you keep Asiata as the FB?

Percy, Simpson, Jenkins, Wright, Aromashodu >>>>> Burton. Arceneaux just hasn't show enough to deserve a roster spot. I am not enamored with Burton and wouldn't mind seeing us actively looking at the other WR's that will be cut.

Greenway, Henderson, Brinkley, Cole, McKenzie, Mitchell. Larry Dean really brings little to this team and is not a good enough special teams player to beat any of these guys ahead of him. The surprising thing is going into camp I was really worried about our depth here but I actually like this unit.

I think Chris DeGeare really had a solid preseason and he showed some versatility by jumping over to play right tackle.

Robert Blanton impressed me alot. To change positions, miss so much field work and game time, he looked damn solid today outside of one bad angle. He clearly hurt his shoulder in the second half but toughed it out and stayed on the field.

Oh and I love Audie Cole Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
arKnaD7 wrote:
MBT!!!

what happened?

Who looked better this game, MBT or Webb?

IMO, MBT. He had quite a few inaccurate throws, but his deep ball was good, he showed good pocket awareness, he had very good anticipation, and he had a much better grasp and understanding of the offense.

Webb made a couple of nice throws, but he just looks uneasy in the pocket, and he still doesn't make multiple reads.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
arKnaD7 wrote:
MBT!!!

what happened?

Who looked better this game, MBT or Webb?

MBT started the final drive inside the 1 yard line, moved the ball well, and converted a 4th down before it fizzled out

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts:

- I have no idea what they will do at QB behind Ponder, the other 3 guys have major pros and cons

- The RB/FB situation will be interesting. I think Hilliard is out, Asiata and Todman are both in. Asiata as the primary FB.

- Overshadowed by Todman's stats was his pass protection, I can recall at least 3 plays that he chopped down a free rusher.

- DeMarcus Love went up against Texans' 1st round pick Whitney Mercilus most of the 1st half and held his own.

- If they don't pick up a DT on waivers, I think Chase Baker makes the team. He disrupted a handful of plays tonight.

- Audie Cole seemed to be in on every tackle in the 2nd half, I don't see any way he doesn't make the 53.

- Blanton looked rusty and slow early on, but improved throughout the game.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see the team carrying both Asiata and Todman given that both players have completely different skill sets.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I could see the team carrying both Asiata and Todman given that both players have completely different skill sets.

Agreed. I didnt see today's game, but sounds like Todman impressed.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Great speed and seemed adequate in pass protection, he really would be an ideal third down back.

Asiata ran well too and has the versatility to be a FB too. Doesnt hurt to have an extra ball carrier on the team until there is complete confidence in Peterson.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Great speed and seemed adequate in pass protection, he really would be an ideal third down back.

Asiata ran well too and has the versatility to be a FB too. Doesnt hurt to have an extra ball carrier on the team until there is complete confidence in Peterson.

I like that idea.

As long as Asiata can block, thats a positive. Seems like he can run well and catch well. For once, we might have an all around player at the Fullback position. Shocked

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlights of the game:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Full-Highlights-Texans-28-Vikings-24/fd991494-aac6-4dc9-9895-4d3b867d135d

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bad was Wright's injury?

Any chance we still look at other WRs to sign before the season starts, or do we possibly start off with:

Harvin
Jenkins
Aromashadu
S.Burton
Arcenauex?

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have your guys' #1's looked so far this offseason? Projected strengths and weaknesses of the team going forward?
this providence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final thoughts on QB situation after seeing the majority of that gong show last night from the officials...

Ponder - Obvious.

Webb - Has had a rough go of it during the preseason. However, you know what you have in him as a QB and he has the ability to provide a spark if need be. Whether the team needs him to finish off a game or to make a spot start or two, he gives this team the best chance to be competitive given his rare skill set. It won't be pretty, but it is what it is.

MBT - In the end, he's not a player that will be in this league in 2 years. His footwork is absolutely horrendous and his reads and progression are even worse. And then of course you have that flashback to early days-Jackson with the complete inability to put any touch on the ball. But if the the team is that enamored with his arm and don't want to risk losing him (they wouldn't), I guess this is the scenario that needs to play out.

Rosenfels - What Sage has shown during the preseason (and over the course of his career) is that there's no reason as to why he should ever see an NFL field. Put simply, he's just a bad QB. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all and maybe he has some great input to give to the QBs based on his 12 total starts over the course of his career but the simple fact remains, for a team as bad as this one, is that you're doing yourself a great disservice by wasting a roster spot on a guy like this. And god forbid he actually gets into a game and we as fans have to put up with watching him attempt to hold his head above water. Nothing says you can't bring him back as a coach as that's more or less what they'd be admitting what he is by keeping him on roster.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
How bad was Wright's injury?

It was an ankle sprain and apparently it's not serious.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Notebook_Devin_Aromashodu_Jarius_Wright_rise_to_Vikings_challenge083012

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: