Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gameday thread: Denver at Arizona(Filling out the roster)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhuston

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik Jackson may be better than a backup. He may just find his way into the rotation the way he is playing. I love that he can line up anywhere.

I know people are high on Bolden but I just don't see it yet.
kentwag24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most teams don't keep 5 backup OLineman. Usually only 3 or 4 are kept witj 2 or 3 active on gameday. I think we should only keep Ramirez, Harris, and Blake as the backups as they all can play multiple positions.
rhuston

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope Manning doesn't get hurt because we are screwed if he does.
hibdib31

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backup secondary does not look good; there will be no surprise contributors from this group.

Trevathan still in racking up tackles.
hibdib31

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good blocking and a nice return TD on the kickoff by Bolden. Could have just helped himself there. Did not look good in coverage so far.
NoHypeNeeded

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys may wanna rethink your backup QB situation. Wow.
hibdib31

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice cut-back run by Hillman. He seems quick and fresh. Too bad he was injured this preseason, I would have like to see him get some more snaps. Would be nice to get him the ball in space on 3rd downs.

I wonder why they haven't given Hillman a shot to return kicks..
hibdib31

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long drive of successful one-cut runs by Hillman and Johnson.

I think McGahee, Ball, and Hillman are the RB's this year.
Mr.MileHigh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:

Knowshon is making the team its a lock... I love Hillman he is so smooth had has great vision he made a few 2 yard runs into 8 yarders. Bolden needs to work on his footwork and let the game settle a bit then he will be fine its not like there is a bunch of pressure on him. Hanie is Trash. Sooo indecisive he takes longer to make decisions than Tebow I hope Osweiler beats him out. If we don't get anyone else. Malik Jackson is a sav definitely a rotational player and last but not least Danny Trevathan will help us out covering those TEs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid looks quicker than Bolden, more active.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have your guys' 1st team offense/defense looked this offseason? Be brutally honest with me, strengths and weaknesses.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to start with the backup QB situation - it is a mess. An utter mess. Hanie has no pocket presence whatsoever, and when you combine this with his poor presnap recognition, you have an unmitigated disaster. There were times where all he needed to do was slide less than a yard to avoid pressure, yet instead he decides to flee the pocket like a 5 year old. Awful. Brock actually has good pocket presence for a Rookie, but the Rookie tendencies are there for all to see. Telegraphs passes, fastballs everything, doesn't show much of any understanding of his progressions and refuses to use his RB in the passing game. I wouldn't be at all shocked if we are monitoring the Waiver Wire for a Veteran QB. Chris Redman maybe?

Was really impressed with Malik Jackson last night. Not only from an athleticism standpoint, but from a technique standpoint too. The 2 spalsh plays for me were firstly the TFL where he stood his man up, drove him back off the LOS then shed him to make the play on the ball carrier. Textbook DE play. Secondly, the play where he split the RT/TE double team to force the ball carrier back into traffic was something that will make a guy earn a roster spot. He didn't run around the blocks; he went straight through them using the explosion off the line you look for in a DE.

To be honest, he wasn't the only DE who flashed. I thought both Jeremy Beal and Jamie Blatnick had impressive games, with the former more than likely cementing his roster spot.

Obviously Danny Trevathan showed a nose for the Football which kind of reminded me of a fellow Kentucky alumni who is now a Denver Bronco WLB when he first appeared for us as an UDFA ... I think the play he made in man coverage of a TE was his most impressive play.

I thought Omar Bolden looked pretty damn lost in the slot. Apparently he hasn't played any Nickel (ever) before this Summer and it showed last night. He gave the simplest of completions on a slant route that showed his inexperience at the position. The slot WR was lined up just outside the TE and we were in man coverage. The WR ran a slant route towards the QB whilst the TE ran a go route, thus meaning Bolden would have to cut across the TE to stay with his man. However, Bolden showed no recognition for this, and just bumped into the TE, giving the WR an easy 4/5 yards of seperation. It will be a learning curve, but Bolden has to feel that combination of routes both presnap and during the play. Of course, his roster spot isn't in jeopardy so don't think I am suggesting that.

Ronnie Hillman sure looks smooth doesn't he? As the announcers were saying, he looks perfect for a one cut and go Offense, and you could see Mike McCoy was calling Stretch plays all over the place. I thought Ronnie tired as the game went on, but he hasn't seen many reps in both practice and games, so that is to be expected. This game really made me excited about what this guy can contribute for us going forward.

As for the OL - I thought it was a much better showing, despite the sack numbers which were inflated by Hanie. That said, I didn't concentrate on them a great deal so I can't offer much more. I saw Wayne Tribue get in the game pretty early which was cool, because I have really liked what I have seen from him so far. I hope we put him on the PS should we decide to keep Blake over him.

BRING ON THE STEELERS BABY!

MUFC OK
germ-x

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't able to watch the game, it wasn't being shown in kansas, but looking at the stats Hillman must have played well. I was not a fan of the pick. Not because I didn't like Hillman, but because I question whether he can run between the tackles. Taking a niche/situational player in the top 75 doesn't really jive with my own philosophy. If he can though (and I hope he can) that would be a heck of a pick. 1 good preseason game doesn't prove anything, but its nice to see that he was productive.
hibdib31

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.MileHigh wrote:
hibdib31 wrote:

Knowshon is making the team its a lock... I love Hillman he is so smooth had has great vision he made a few 2 yard runs into 8 yarders. Bolden needs to work on his footwork and let the game settle a bit then he will be fine its not like there is a bunch of pressure on him. Hanie is Trash. Sooo indecisive he takes longer to make decisions than Tebow I hope Osweiler beats him out. If we don't get anyone else. Malik Jackson is a sav definitely a rotational player and last but not least Danny Trevathan will help us out covering those TEs.

Knowshon may very well make the team as well. He has been running with anger this preseason delivering a few nasty stiff arms. He must feel the pressure.

Agree with you on Hillman's vision. I didn't see him stop and start up again trying to find a hole. He had a few nice zone runs that the replay showed how he cut into the holes as they opened up. He needs to stay healthy and he could be a contributor soon.

I don't know if it's the depth receivers' inability to get separation or what, but Hanie would not make a quick decision in this game. Often times he stood in the pocket until he perceived the pressure (early many times) and the scramble to make the throw. He did not perform well. Osweiler looked raw, but he stepped up in the pocket and made a couple nice plays. In either case, we would be in tremendous trouble if Peyton were to miss games.

Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan really showed up this preseason and earned their spots on this team. Jackson could have played himself into the rotation on the defensive line with his versatility and motor. I don't think Trevathan will get starting time this year, but he is a quality reserve who was around the ball nearly every play. He made good attacking tackles in the run game and had tight coverage over the middle on tight ends. These two are the bright spots on the 2 team defense for sure.
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I wasn't able to watch the game, it wasn't being shown in kansas, but looking at the stats Hillman must have played well. I was not a fan of the pick. Not because I didn't like Hillman, but because I question whether he can run between the tackles. Taking a niche/situational player in the top 75 doesn't really jive with my own philosophy. If he can though (and I hope he can) that would be a heck of a pick. 1 good preseason game doesn't prove anything, but its nice to see that he was productive.

When Hoke was the coach at SDSU, Hillman was definitely a between the tackle runner, but when Hoke left and Long came in is when SDSU went away from that a bit. What I love about Hillman is he isn't afraid to run up the middle but he will bounce it outside, good combo in my opinion.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: