You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Look Ahead: 2013 Draft Class (QB)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaKid7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im on the Geno Smith bandwagon right now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaisinBran wrote:
If Palmer doesn't play above average this year I have no problem drafting a QB in the 1st.

I'm not really aware of the prospects outside of Matt B and Landry Jones.

There are lot of QB's ranked high so far. Granted it's very early and the football season hasn't started yet. But I believe it's as much as 8 or 9 QB prospects are ranked in the top 80 or so football prospects so far.

Logan Thomas is actually the 2nd ranked QB so far. There's actually a pretty big drop off right now from Barkley and Thomas to everyone else. Then there's a lot of guys that will be shuffling around and one or two will probably end up being in the 'can't miss' category by seasons end: Landry Jones then Gino Smith (West Virginia), Tyler Wilson (Arkansas), Tyler Bray (Tenn), EJ Manuel (Fl State), Aaron Murray (Georgia) and Tajh Boyd (Clemson). All of these guys are considered in the top 80-85ish. Some will drop off, but I have a feeling we will end up with 3 or 4 first round grade QB's this year.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
silver_surfer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take Pryor over any current college QB
CaliforniaKid7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Rodgers anyone??? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly i think we are in for a rude awakening these next few years....

If We take a QB next year that is, I imagine we will go full rebuild, lose most of our key players, TKO, SEY, Lech, Seabass. they are all "overpaid" and if we take a Qb i think its a clear indicator that we arent winning in the near future.
Darkness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbaker1933 wrote:

If We take a QB next year that is, I imagine we will go full rebuild, lose most of our key players, TKO, SEY, Lech, Seabass. they are all "overpaid" and if we take a Qb i think its a clear indicator that we arent winning in the near future.

Oh no! Not the kickers! haha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pryor
DMC Jones
Reece
VET TE
Moore, Ford, Criner, Streater, DHB
Valdheer, Brisel, Wiz, Bergstorm!

our offense could get real good for the next 5-6 years!!!

Bryant, Shaugnessy, Houston, Christo
Curry, McClain, Burris
Huff, Branch

give me a stud pash rusher, Seymour replacement, and a couple corners and we would have one of the best young teams in the league
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Barkley's arm strength is so underrated it's ridiculous. Logan Thomas is going to bust, I'm not sure why everyone on this forum is so in love with an average quarterback coming out of an average conference playing for a school that hasn't produced good NFL quarterbacks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
I have looked at this extensively. Whether or not the Raiders select a QB will depend a lot on how Palmer fares this season. Keep in mind there McKenzie, Knapp, DA & Palmer are all trying to figure each other out and find chemistry between the play book and the player's physical abilities. There will be bumps in the road and chemistry may take time, however barring a complete meltdown by both Palmer and Leinart I think the Raiders will stand pat. Keep in mind the Raiders have other pressing concerns other than QB. I would suggest that McKenzie would rather take a transcendent player at a position of need rather than draft Palmer's successor and keep him on the bench for 2 seasons. (I would think Amerson if the Raiders were drafting that high)

Ultimately, I feel the draftniks are wrong. The Raiders are still short on draft picks and high on payroll. I think Palmer will play adequately enough to build around in the short term. Every season he will restructure so his compensation is not a factor.

Also, the AFC as a conference is down as is the AFC West. There are tons of question marks with every team in the AFC West and the division winner will likely come down to the season finale. Imo, with the division being so competitive I don't believe the Raiders will play poorly enough to be in the top 10.

For the record I would rather develop Pryor than draft Logan Thomas. Thomas has proven nothing so far and people are already salivating. If he has ANY success there will be an avalanche of fan hype. Imo, Barkley will go 1st overall benefiting from the Luck/RG3 debate. RG3 is a nice player but Luck is the type of transcendent player that never should have been compared in the same breath. Teams will ultimately go with the prototype (ie perceived sure thing) regardless of whether the comparisons are applicable.

I gotta agree with you Bonez. I think we are in a position where we can at least rely on Palmer to keep us competitive in the division, whilst balancing the books and improving areas which clearly need improvement. With Bartell and Spencer ageing, CB is a huge need. We still don't have a premier pass rush. If we were picking in the high to mid region. I think we should address other needs, sit tight with CP and then, when we have a solid base, take a QB for the future.
Rolni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I have to see Palmer this year. Then we have 7 scenarios IMO.

1. Palmer plays well and the staff thinks highly about Pryor
We keep Palmer and develope Pryor to be his successor.

2. Palmer plays well, but the staff think Pryor will never be a good starting QB...
2a. They pick up a QB to sit for 1 or 2 years behind CP and then take over
2b. They keep Leinart around to be the back up and work on the rest of the team, address the QB spot next year.

3. Palmer plays bad and the staff think Pryor will never be a good starting QB...
3a. Pick the QB of the future with the 1st pick
3b. Find a stop gap system fit veteran

4. Palmer plays bad, but the staff think highly about Pryor.
4a. Name Pryor the starter and get some vet back ups
4b. Get a system fit vet to battle with Pryor for the job
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silver_surfer wrote:
I'll take Pryor over any current college QB

You must not be a fan of winning. Unless he develops some accuracy and touch, he's never going to be starting material.

And as said time and time again, accuracy and touch are not the easiest things to learn. It's a natural skill set.

And you are honestly blind if you'd take Pryor over Barkley who is a pure passer. The thought of him in this WCO is enough to keep me up at night.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddevil wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
I have looked at this extensively. Whether or not the Raiders select a QB will depend a lot on how Palmer fares this season. Keep in mind there McKenzie, Knapp, DA & Palmer are all trying to figure each other out and find chemistry between the play book and the player's physical abilities. There will be bumps in the road and chemistry may take time, however barring a complete meltdown by both Palmer and Leinart I think the Raiders will stand pat. Keep in mind the Raiders have other pressing concerns other than QB. I would suggest that McKenzie would rather take a transcendent player at a position of need rather than draft Palmer's successor and keep him on the bench for 2 seasons. (I would think Amerson if the Raiders were drafting that high)

Ultimately, I feel the draftniks are wrong. The Raiders are still short on draft picks and high on payroll. I think Palmer will play adequately enough to build around in the short term. Every season he will restructure so his compensation is not a factor.

Also, the AFC as a conference is down as is the AFC West. There are tons of question marks with every team in the AFC West and the division winner will likely come down to the season finale. Imo, with the division being so competitive I don't believe the Raiders will play poorly enough to be in the top 10.

For the record I would rather develop Pryor than draft Logan Thomas. Thomas has proven nothing so far and people are already salivating. If he has ANY success there will be an avalanche of fan hype. Imo, Barkley will go 1st overall benefiting from the Luck/RG3 debate. RG3 is a nice player but Luck is the type of transcendent player that never should have been compared in the same breath. Teams will ultimately go with the prototype (ie perceived sure thing) regardless of whether the comparisons are applicable.

I gotta agree with you Bonez. I think we are in a position where we can at least rely on Palmer to keep us competitive in the division, whilst balancing the books and improving areas which clearly need improvement. With Bartell and Spencer ageing, CB is a huge need. We still don't have a premier pass rush. If we were picking in the high to mid region. I think we should address other needs, sit tight with CP and then, when we have a solid base, take a QB for the future.

I agree with you both and it appears that so far that is the plan. I also agree with Rolni. There are several scenarios but you only plan for the best and then readjust for things that dont go your way. We have a young talented roster that simply is lacking depth. We sign some key players in FA and through the draft next season and one might call our team loaded.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbaker1933 wrote:

Seymour is gone after this season regardless. Tommy will stick around, he's talented and Reggie favors Dline. Seabass and Lechler are aging, but you can't put a price on good kickers.

Regardless, DMAC, Reece, Veldheer, Wiz, Moore, DHB, Streater, Ford, Criner. etc. These are pieces you can play a rookie QB with and be successful and win with.

That the future of this team on O. Seymour, TKO, Lechler and Jano wouldn't signal the Raiders are not winning in the near future. Those above players will be coming into their collective primes and this team will be better for it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
Matt Barkley's arm strength is so underrated it's ridiculous. Logan Thomas is going to bust, I'm not sure why everyone on this forum is so in love with an average quarterback coming out of an average conference playing for a school that hasn't produced good NFL quarterbacks.

+1. Barkley get the same wrap Luck got on his 'arm strength'. I'd take Lucks arm right now for the next decade.

Agree on Thomas. He will be hyped all season and disappoint whomever drafts him.

I personally like Wilson's game. Big arm and pretty athletic. Good size too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i agree barkley looks good, but we won't be bad enough to draft him. Any team drafting in the top probably needs a qb and if not they can leverage one into a trade, but I don't believe Reggie would give up the necessary compensation.

Last edited by Nodisrespect on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: