Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seperate championships for AQS and "Mid Majors"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Seperate championships for AQS and "Mid Majors" Reply with quote

I have been thinking about this for awhile. I have though about NCAA possibly splitting Division 1(FBS) into 2 seperate divisions and having 2 seperate championships for the big schools and smaller big schools.

Honestly no one wants to see Oklahoma and Kent State or UCLA and Arkansas State(just examples) The mid majors really have nothing to play for when it comes to bowl season. The MAC champion gets to play a sun belt school in a crappy bowl on January 6th. Who wants to play for that?

I feel if they start a 4 team playoff for the big dogs they should do the same for the mid majors and instead of the Little Ceasers Bowl Champion they could be playing for a "National Championship".

Just using those words alone are going to bring more sponsers and prestige for winning it even though it is at a lower level. I have heard in these smaller bowls before announcers refer to the games as "this is Northern Illinois National Championship" Well thats is good and all, but if the name of the game was actually changed to refer to it as such the NCAA could make even more money.

I would propose a 16 team playoff just like in the FCS and DII and DIII. I know it is unlikely and would take years before the NCAA ever made such a smart move but it is an idea.

The field would look something like this for 2013.

1. Notre Dame 12-0
2. Alabama 12-1
3. Florida 11-1
4. Oregon 11-1
5. Kansas State 11-1
6. LSU 10-2
7. Stanford 10-2
8. Texas A&M 10-2
9. Georgia 11-2
10. South Carolina 10-2
11. Oklahoma 10-2
12. Florida State 11-2
13. Clemson 10-2
14. Oregon State 9-3
15. Nebraska 10-3
16. Northwestern 9-3

1. Northern Illinois 12-1
2. Louisville 10-2
3. Utah State 10-2
4. San Jose State 10-2
5. Boise State 10-2
6. Kent State 11-2
7. Cincinnati 9-3
8. Rutgers 9-3
9. Louisiana Tech 9-3
10. Tulsa 10-3
11. Ball State 9-3
12. Toledo 9-3
13. Fresno State 9-3
14. San Diego State 9-3
15. Arkansas State 9-3
16. Central Florida 9-4

Ohio State is ineligible so I left them out. Obviously it would be a little different looking as I only went by record and not some BCS standings deal. Also I didn't know where to put the Big East schools because they clearly cannot compete with the big dogs but they are a tad better than most of the "mid majors".

Thoughts?

Jamison on the sig
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the top ACC teams leave to Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 and then put then in the midmajors. Its really only 4 top conferences. Then theres a clear 5th and clear 6th.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Lions017

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that it's fair to punish teams based upon their conference. They can't really help it. There would need to be a way for those mid major teams to jump up and play the big teams, because occasionally they can compete and win.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
I don't think that it's fair to punish teams based upon their conference. They can't really help it. There would need to be a way for those mid major teams to jump up and play the big teams, because occasionally they can compete and win.

If those teams truely believe they deserve a chance then they should schedule no less than 4 AQ schools or IMO they don't deserve to be there. It is one thing for Boise State to gear up and play a great game 1 time a year to beat Oklahoma or Georgia, but you cannot tell me they would be able to win 4 times in season and then a bowl game too. Obviously every other AQ school has to play 8 at minimum so asking a Boise to sign 4 is no big deal yet they sign 1 every year and that is it.

Jamison on the sig
pf9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should be done is that the AP and Coaches can have mid-major polls in which they rank the top 10 non-AQ conference teams (starting in 2014, the top "Group of Five" conference teams and any independent except for Notre Dame).

The top team in each poll at the end of the season gets declared "mid-major national champions". This wouldn't disqualify the non-AQ/Group of Five teams from the main polls though. As it is now, the highest-ranked non-AQ team in each poll is the essential mid-major champ.
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louisville is better than Northwestern. If you are going to list Big East teams in with the mid majors then you will have to add Syracuse and maybe Pitt because they are better than a majority of teams on that list.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be better if the SEC had it own.

People want 6 of the 10 teams in BCS to be SEC. Just have there be a SEC 4 team playoff and crown them Champions.

Then the rest of the NCAA can do their own.

Sig bet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: