Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

K Randy Bullock placed on IR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: K Randy Bullock placed on IR Reply with quote

Quote:
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

Rookie K Randy Bullock is going on injured reserve. Torn muscle in groin area #Texans

Coach Kubiak said on his press conference just now that he just found out about the injury 15 minutes ago, so that means Graham will make the team.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be why he did not finish the game last night?
canyon1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in a nut shell Graham connecting on the 53 yard kick last night and every other kick he attempted .. Kubiak does not want to admit that his draft pick was not ready to play he put him at the five star suite of IR for NEXT year LOL typical Kubes but i am ok when he does this lets us hold onto key pieces for future developement.. Sort of smart if you ask me
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
So in a nut shell Graham connecting on the 53 yard kick last night and every other kick he attempted .. Kubiak does not want to admit that his draft pick was not ready to play he put him at the five star suite of IR for NEXT year LOL typical Kubes but i am ok when he does this lets us hold onto key pieces for future developement.. Sort of smart if you ask me

I think he really was injured. He was playing through the injury during training camp and preseason and today Kubiak said he came to reliant with a blue and black groin and couldn't lift up his leg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's real, but given our past it does seem suspicious

^LORK 88^
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably somewhere between the two. He probably has a very real injury, but not one that would keep him out for the season. This is a safe way to keep his rights, and we have a decent fallback option in Graham.

Sig by matthouston91
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If He has been dealing with this for 2 weeks then he is a straight beast
He will be our kicker for the next 10-12 years

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really it works out great for the Texans. While I like Bullock, Graham was performing as well if not slightly better. Bullock was likely to get the job because of age and draft position, but what is impossible to judge is how a few missed kicks would effect him (and his teammates) and this is not the season to have a wild card like a rookie kicker determine your fate. I suspect Bullock would have been able to kick by week 2 or 3, but the IR resort option lets us keep him on the shelf while having an experienced kicker like Graham booting the critical kicks. Best of both worlds. Still waiting for the mysterious leg injury to be "discovered" with Posey.

- It should also be noted that we cut Hartmann. I was anticipating and IR job there, but Jones has been excellent. There is little risk of someone signing an injured/suspended punter out from under us, so it wouldn't shock me to see us make sort of roster move for him after week 1 to have him in the fold for the job in 2013 (or the suspension may have sealed his fate).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
texandominance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A torn groin sucks to kick with, let me tell you. It is best to shut things down, let it heal then start rehabbing. I read somewhere that it was all black and blue so I would guess it is pretty serious.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
A torn groin sucks to kick with, let me tell you. It is best to shut things down, let it heal then start rehabbing. I read somewhere that it was all black and blue so I would guess it is pretty serious.

they really take 6-8 weeks and you are right they are not any fun!!!

Bullock will be good to go by the bye week even though he will be on IR, with the new rules who knows

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
texandominance wrote:

Bullock will be good to go by the bye week even though he will be on IR, with the new rules who knows

I wouldn't waste the one "activation eligible" IR spot on a kicker. Mario is the model for how to use this exception as a significant contributor who may be healthy late for a stretch run or playoffs. Let's say Cushing breaks his arm and will be out 8-10 weeks, we would need to fill his spot as we are thin at ILB already, but we get him back late. Probably would have been best to just IR AJ last year had we had this option available. We only get one, so you need to save it for a vital position as well as a player who's return would be a major improvement over the replacement.

Last edited by Apollo Stallion on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
texandominance wrote:

I wouldn't waste the one "activation eligible" IR spot on a kicker. Mario is the model for how to use this exception as a significant contributor who may be healthy late for a stretch run or playoffs. Let's say Cushing breaks his arm and will be out 8-10 weeks, we would need to fill his spot as we are thin at ILB already, but we get him back late. Probably would have been best to just IR AJ last year had we had this option available. We only get one, so you need to save it for a vital position as well as a player who's return would be a major improvement over hte replacement.

oh i agree, but if we get into week 10-12 with no one on IR with a chance to come back and our kicker is struggling it might be an option

what this does is basically gives you 54 roster spots per season

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
texandominance wrote:

I wouldn't waste the one "activation eligible" IR spot on a kicker. Mario is the model for how to use this exception as a significant contributor who may be healthy late for a stretch run or playoffs. Let's say Cushing breaks his arm and will be out 8-10 weeks, we would need to fill his spot as we are thin at ILB already, but we get him back late. Probably would have been best to just IR AJ last year had we had this option available. We only get one, so you need to save it for a vital position as well as a player who's return would be a major improvement over hte replacement.

oh i agree, but if we get into week 10-12 with no one on IR with a chance to come back and our kicker is struggling it might be an option

My understanding is that the IR exception has to be declared when you put the player on the list. You don't get to just pick a player amongst your IR list later in the season an activate him. They are giving a one time grace period to "activate" a player already placed on IR (before today) to the Activation Eligible IR slot, but again, just not worth it for a kicker that wasn't any better than our current one in offseason competition. If we really wanted Bullock to kick this year we could put him on the PUP and switch kickers between week 6-10. The IR activation slot is similar to the PUP in that the player does have to be on your 53 man roster, before being placed on the list and freeing up a spot. There is no getting around cutting down to a true 53 man roster.

dsorc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
texandominance wrote:

My understanding is that the IR exception has to be declared when you put the player on the list. You don't get to just pick a player amongst your IR list later in the season an activate him. They are giving a one time grace period to "activate" a player already placed on IR (before today) to the Activation Eligible IR slot, but again, just not worth it for a kicker that wasn't any better than our current one in offseason competition. If we really wanted Bullock to kick this year we could put him on the PUP and switch kickers between week 6-10. The IR activation slot is similar to the PUP in that the player does have to be on your 53 man roster, before being placed on the list and freeing up a spot. There is no getting around cutting down to a true 53 man roster.

I agree with you but I wanted to clarify that Bullock was not eligible for PUP. To be eligible, the player would have had to be inactive all of TC. In general, I think Bullock is being sent to IR as we usually do to preserve a player for next year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
texandominance wrote:

I agree with you but I wanted to clarify that Bullock was not eligible for PUP. To be eligible, the player would have had to be inactive all of TC. In general, I think Bullock is being sent to IR as we usually do to preserve a player for next year.

Yep, you're right. I swear Sharpton was at practice before his "setback" but I guess they are pretty good about walking the fine line about what constitutes officially practicing vs. working out on the side.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: