Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Cooley RELEASED by Redskins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCRED

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
RSkinGM is on the right track, but it's necessity not sentiment.

Grossman is a vet and knows the offense - it was pretty obvious in the third game they threw him in there to shake off some rust and when he performed to expectations, he came out of the game. Grossman might need a couple of series to start this game, but after that you have to ask whether Cousin needs a full game.

The risk of injury is ever present, better have Crompton play a quarter-half; and, if he happens to be injured, it will not impact your season in the slightest.

Great observation.
(Especially with all the injuries last year) I can see why they would Not want a QB they plan on having on the roster playing in the final tryout for all the other positions.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Woz wrote:

If an OL gets cut, why would we spend the $4M on him? He was cut by someone for a reason. Give him league minimum + incentives.

Oh yeah sure. But what I meant was without cutting Cooley I don't even know if we would have been able to pay someone that without More roster moves lol!!!

I'm happy to see some money get freed up so that we have options when these cuts go down. Maybe (probably) we bring in a FEW players now, wasn't really expecting a BIG name signing

Except we further incur pain next year as his dead cap space carries over along with the penalty.

I wonder if the Redskins would use some of the money freed up by Cooley's cut to take on more penalty this year.
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
I said earlier that Moss is the one,true ”old school” skin but I forgot about Doughty. Is he next to be cut? Think
Probably, I wish we'd find a way to keep our 2nd bedtime tackler but I just don't see it. We have Gomes for our future and 3 other more talented safeties in front of Doughty this year

Shocked Laughing Either you know Doughty a little too well or your phone auto-corrected again lolz

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I just started busting out laughing when I read this. Good job, guys. Laughing
Duke Ihenacho: IR
Ryan Clark: 60 tackles, 1 PDef, .5 sacks
Logan Paulsen: 10 catches, 47 yards... and a fumble
TheOleBallCoach

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooley can still be a solid receiving tight end, health willing.

I'm gonna miss him. Thanks for giving us something to cheer for all those years while we were done, Chris. He'll always be a fan favorite, and I'm confident he'll retire a fan favorite.

AdoptASkin - Keiland Williams (Lions) - 57/195/2TD
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
The more I think about it the more I don't like how this went down. If they truly knew he wasn't in their plans and if they truly wanted to give him a shot to land a starting gig somewhere else, the time to do that was in mini-camp or any of the OTAs.

As for brining Crompton back. Most likely this is because they will start Cousins and have him play 3 quarters and then want to see how Crompton will do for a quarter? Just a guess..
agreed about Crompton.

3 things on Cooley, why and when:

1. After June 1st cut

2. They wanted to give Chris a chance to prove he could still play up to his previous starting ability and up to his salary. They didn't feel he could. For months all of us have feared the same but been in denial.

3. They also wanted to see what the young guys had behind him and Davis- Paulsen and Paul. I think Paul and Paulsen played as good or better than Cooley since April. They weren't sure that Cooley wasn't going to make the team till recently when they had in Paul and Paulesn the last few weeks of preseason.

They liked what they saw in Paul and Paulsen. Those guys playing well, the $ cooley was owed, needing to do it after June 1st and them giving him all the chances they could is why isn't here and why this cut took so long. It's not some conspiracy, I think they handled it fine. They gave him a lot of chances and the young guys out played him and hey both play special teams... Cooley Doesn't

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
DCRED wrote:
Woz wrote:

If an OL gets cut, why would we spend the $4M on him? He was cut by someone for a reason. Give him league minimum + incentives.

Oh yeah sure. But what I meant was without cutting Cooley I don't even know if we would have been able to pay someone that without More roster moves lol!!!

I'm happy to see some money get freed up so that we have options when these cuts go down. Maybe (probably) we bring in a FEW players now, wasn't really expecting a BIG name signing

Except we further incur pain next year as his dead cap space carries over along with the penalty.

I wonder if the Redskins would use some of the money freed up by Cooley's cut to take on more penalty this year.
I'm with you Woz, they shouldn't sign anyone and the ones being cut arent worth signing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
The more I think about it the more I don't like how this went down. If they truly knew he wasn't in their plans and if they truly wanted to give him a shot to land a starting gig somewhere else, the time to do that was in mini-camp or any of the OTAs.

As for brining Crompton back. Most likely this is because they will start Cousins and have him play 3 quarters and then want to see how Crompton will do for a quarter? Just a guess..
agreed about Crompton.

1. After June 1st cut

2. They wanted to give Chris a chance to prove he could still play up to his previous starting ability and up to his salary. They didn't feel he could. For months all of us have feared the same but been in denial.

3. They also wanted to see what the young guys had behind him and Davis- Paulsen and Paul. I think Paul and Paulsen played as good or better than Cooley since April. They weren't sure that Cooley wasn't going to make the team till recently when they had in Paul and Paulesn the last few weeks of preseason.

They liked what they saw in Paul and Paulsen. Those guys playing well, the $ cooley was owed, needing to do it after June 1st and them giving him all the chances they could is why isn't here and why this cut took so long. It's not some conspiracy, I think they handled it fine. They game him a lot of chances and the young guys out played him and hey both play special teams... Cooley Doesn't

Though, there is a point to be made that they wanted Cooley, but not a $6.3M cap hit. So by releasing him late-ish, he's got a limited pool of places to go. As a result, if they come back and offer him a $1.5M + incentives contract, he might jump at it.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

agreed about Crompton.

1. After June 1st cut

They liked what they saw in Paul and Paulsen. Those guys playing well, the $ cooley was owed, needing to do it after June 1st and them giving him all the chances they could is why isn't here and why this cut took so long. It's not some conspiracy, I think they handled it fine. They game him a lot of chances and the young guys out played him and hey both play special teams... Cooley Doesn't

Though, there is a point to be made that they wanted Cooley, but not a $6.3M cap hit. So by releasing him late-ish, he's got a limited pool of places to go. As a result, if they come back and offer him a $1.5M + incentives contract, he might jump at it.
I think they'd only do it if Fred got injured.

Let's just be honest here. Cooley wasn't the same (it sucks saying that but it's true) and Paulsen and Paul have been playing well all offseason from reports from mini-camps and ota's to training camp practices. They struggled vs Buffalo but not the last two preseason games, they both played great.

IMO Cooley only comes back if Fred gets in trouble or is injured.

turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d8kV4?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=washington-redskins

Sad video of Cooley press conference. Sad he gets emotional

PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-bucs-crowd-honors-chris-cooley/2012/08/29/19202262-f235-11e1-adc6-87dfa8eff430_blog.html?wprss=rss_football-insider

Quote:
Fans wearing replicas of Cooley’s No. 47 jersey were scattered across the stadium. Early in the first quarter, when one of those fans was shown on the Jumbotron, the partially-filled stadium erupted with a “Cooooooooooley!” chant.

Many fans gave the two-time Pro Bowler a standing ovation.

Cause we the classiest fans in the business.

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARROTHEAD wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-bucs-crowd-honors-chris-cooley/2012/08/29/19202262-f235-11e1-adc6-87dfa8eff430_blog.html?wprss=rss_football-insider

Quote:
Fans wearing replicas of Cooley’s No. 47 jersey were scattered across the stadium. Early in the first quarter, when one of those fans was shown on the Jumbotron, the partially-filled stadium erupted with a “Cooooooooooley!” chant.

Definitely. Thanks for posting that Parrothead, Cooley is greatly appreciated and will be missed.

DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARROTHEAD wrote:

Quote:

I hope Cooley heard about this, if he wasn't watching the game. I missed that, but I got chills when I read it- Because "I'm a baby" Laughing
footy_29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
PARROTHEAD wrote:

Quote:

I hope Cooley heard about this, if he wasn't watching the game. I missed that, but I got chills when I read it- Because "I'm a baby" Laughing

There are many things I get chills about, and that's one of those things that you do. The power of speech is great, and when we speak together it has great impact - we can feed off that energy.

A recent 'chill' experience was watching the London Olympics Women's 10k track, that last lap when Ethiopia's Tirunesh Dibaba put on the jets.
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arringtons take on Cooley being cut.
Quote:
"You've got to do what's best for the team, and this is a business. But what I do have a problem with is you did it NOW? That's what I have a problem with." ... "He should have been treated better than this," LaVar concluded. "If you were gonna get rid of Chris Cooley, you should have gave him an offseason to try to find a gig ... You just should have been man enough to let him go in the offseason so he could gauge his opportunities -- if he wanted to retire, if he wanted to try to find a different team. You don't do this."

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/335532

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-14 Tackles, 1PD, 1 Sack,1FR
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jets forum discussing Cooley.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=497486

Mad Sad

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-14 Tackles, 1PD, 1 Sack,1FR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: