Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Cooley RELEASED by Redskins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCRED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARROTHEAD wrote:
This sucks. And after watching his farewell vid. It sucks even more.

To bad tomorrow couldnt be his last day so he could suit up 1 last time.
Gotta set the DVR and make sure I dont miss tonights Redskins Nation. Should be one to remember.

Yeah would have been nice to see him greeted by the fans one more time. But If I had to choose between that and not having the money to feasibly bring in other players and then watch them go somewhere else.. I'd gladly choose to cut him on time and be ready for the waiver wire.
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan speaks.
Heres the transcript page. To much to just quote a portion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/coach-mike-shanahans-remarks-on-release-of-tight-end-chris-cooley/2012/08/28/f5a9380e-f140-11e1-adc6-87dfa8eff430_blog.html?wprss=rss_football-insider

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
DCRED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Don't look now but with them releasing Cooley like this, I can see how they will keep 7 WRs and Banks is now safe.

Hmm maybe , but maybe 9 LB's, or 7 DL's

Yes let's do that and keep a fresh ferocious pass rush harassing QB's Twisted Evil
e16bball

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel as if Cooley is being sold pretty short here.

Now, I haven't seen much of the preseason or the training camp reports to this point, but up until the injury-plagued season last year, this was a guy who was as sure a bet as you could find for 50ish yards/game and about 70 catches for 800 yards by the end of the season. He was never particularly explosive, or tall, or fast --- but he was solid as a rock. To the point where he's been among the top 5-6 TEs during the period he's been in the league.

Obviously, Shanny has some pretty serious Niles Paul man-love. And I hope he's right. But I could also see this haunting us if Grateful Fred is out for an extended period (for whatever reason). Hopefully he latches on with an AFC team (Raiders sound good to me) and has another Cooley-esque season when given the shot.

O.J. Atogwe Tracker: 25 Tackles | 1 INT | 2 PDs | 2 TFLs | 1 sack
Saverio Rocca Tracker: 44.2 AVG | 41.2 NET | 14/25 IN20
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
PARROTHEAD wrote:
This sucks. And after watching his farewell vid. It sucks even more.

To bad tomorrow couldnt be his last day so he could suit up 1 last time.
Gotta set the DVR and make sure I dont miss tonights Redskins Nation. Should be one to remember.

Yeah would have been nice to see him greeted by the fans one more time. But If I had to choose between that and not having the money to feasibly bring in other players and then watch them go somewhere else.. I'd gladly choose to cut him on time and be ready for the waiver wire.

Its all those idiots ShanAllens fault. (still venting Laughing )

Quote:
The five-year, $27.5 million contract the team gave Brown a year ago complicates matters. By all indications there is no injury protection for the team in the contract even though it was known that his hip was an issue when the deal was signed.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2012/08/need-to-know-barnes-trade-good-news-for-thompson.html

Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree E. But think of this.

This allows Cooley the time to find another team. Albeit not as much time as if we had released him earlier in the year.

And it frees up his $$$ for the cap. This allows us to be in position to sign players who we may need as certain positions get thin.

Paulsen was looking good (dare I say "Cooley-esque" this preseason?)not only blocking but catching the ball (and hanging onto it - something Cooley has been doing lately is a big case of "fumblitis").

Niles Paul is going to get better so I see this panning out eventually.

Fred Davis is the key here. If he stays clean, this was a great move for Cooley and for us. If he tokes up again and is suspended, we're left wit Paul and Paulsen and then it looks extremely bad.

Also - remember Cooley's words "for the time being". There's nothing saying he can't just take his time, see what others out there are asking and if we want him back at a reduced price, take our offer and join us again.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Slateman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

I'm kinda depressed now
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARROTHEAD wrote:
Shan speaks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/coach-mike-shanahans-remarks-on-release-of-tight-end-chris-cooley/2012/08/28/f5a9380e-f140-11e1-adc6-87dfa8eff430_blog.html?wprss=rss_football-insider

What a load of P C / BS Rolling Eyes
He was cut cause he's slower, weaker, older, declining and he cost a bunch $$$$ -- but Shanny can't say that.
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
PARROTHEAD wrote:
Shan speaks.

Yea. I just glanced over certain parts real quick. Its like he didnt release him with the others cause he spend the night thinking of what to tell the fans and media lol.

DCRED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
PARROTHEAD wrote:
Shan speaks.

I guess you'd rather him say," Cooley runs like an elephant with concrete boots, fumbles the ball and drops passes in critical times."

I liked how when asked about Cooley's play this preseason he immediately said," It doesn't matter"
Then proceeded to repeat that Cooley wants to start and should get a chance to try. (In other words, he ain't gettin that chance here)

He could have ripped Cooley for no reason (either way he's cut) and pissed off the fanbase, but he decided to use some class instead.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the raiders would be a good fit as well or he could go to the eagles, cowboys, dolphins, cardinals, jets or chicago. There are a #q of teams that could use a TE who could start but most likely is a #2 right now.

I guess what sucks the most for me is that he was the last player on the team that was drafted with Sean Taylor. Who would even thought an unknown te/hb out of utah state in 04 would have become arguably the best TE in the 80 year history of the washington redskins and one of the greatest redskins period of all time.

I wish him the best.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich_Tandler: @manner11 $3.8 million but about an equal amount of dead cap next year.

Rich_Tandler: I get the issue with Shanny lying. But would it have been better if he'd said that CC wasn't productive enough for his salary (the truth)?

Rich_Tandler: @NC_Skins23 Don't know if either or both sides were willing to redo his deal. That might come out at some point.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
PARROTHEAD wrote:
Shan speaks.

I guess you'd rather him say," Cooley runs like an elephant with concrete boots, fumbles the ball and drops passes in critical times."

I liked how when asked about Cooley's play this preseason he immediately said," It doesn't matter"
Then proceeded to repeat that Cooley wants to start and should get a chance to try. (In other words, he ain't gettin that chance here)

He could have ripped Cooley for no reason (either way he's cut) and pissed off the fanbase, but he decided to use some class instead.
good points, I think shanahan handled it as well as he could. There really was no right way to cut a fan fav over the past 7 years and have fans accept it. Reminds me of when we Portis was gone also. It was just time. Fans aren't going to be happy about it or accept it but the team is going in a younger direction.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Almm24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam... wish Cooley the best, sad to see a fan favorite go. Hope he comes back when he retires and get a job like Antwaan or something
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said earlier that Moss is the one,true ”old school” skin but I forgot about Doughty. Is he next to be cut? Think

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-14 Tackles, 1PD, 1 Sack,1FR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: