Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Cooley RELEASED by Redskins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Shanahan confirmed that the #Redskins will meet with Chris Cooley next week. Said team never closed the door on bringing him back.
1:55pm - 7 Sep 12

Via Grant Paulsens twitter

Would love to see him back for the vet min.

mike23md on the sig!
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Quote:
Mike Shanahan confirmed that the #Redskins will meet with Chris Cooley next week. Said team never closed the door on bringing him back.

Wow!!! Thatd be amazing!!!!!!!!!

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-1 Tackle
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Quote:

I was saying this off these boards to a few friends. Not sure if I mentioned it here (although I think I may have done it once somewhere on the forum - when you're 43 and missing much of your sleep due to a newborn baby, the memory starts to go quickly).

The reason Cooley is getting no bites whatsoever right now is due to the new CBA. If he's on the Week 1 roster, his salary for that season is guaranteed IIRC. Once the first games are over, I can see at least 4 or 5 teams that will contact him (including us). Bringing him back for roughly $800k is MUCH better than having him as our #3 TE at $4M+

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
DCRED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Quote:

That's good news...

Remember when he said ,"for the time being"? They must have told him something in addition to him just voicing desire to come back...

I admit I have my reservations on what he can do at this point, but the FO knows, and if they believe he can help I'm all for him coming back. Maybe they bring him back as a FB Laughing but either way would be really cool to see him out there again if he can contribute.
Slateman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what, he comes back on a 1 year deal for the vet min and gets to sit third string behind Pothead Davis and Stone Hands Paul?

I really hope Chris says thanks, but no thanks. And then signs with a team that will give him a legit shot at playing time. And then proves he's still productive.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 tight ends ?? hmm, and who gets cut ?
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight...

We cut arguably the best tight end in redskins history because we don't want to pay the contract that DanSnyder agreed to pay him in 07.

To my knowledge we didn't offer him a pay cut option of maybe 1/2 of the 6 million we owed him this season.

Now we want to pay him the vet minimum?? Which from what I've seen is $745,000 for a player who's played 8 years in the league.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a_minimum_salary_a_player_can_earn_in_the_NFL

If I'm Cooley I scoff at that and wait for a better offer or for a high profile tight end to get injured and I sign for more money because if I'm him I see myself worth more than the vet minimum.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
4 tight ends ?? hmm, and who gets cut ?
Bernstine and put him on the practice squad.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

We cut arguably the best tight end in redskins history because we don't want to pay the contract that DanSnyder agreed to pay him in 07.

To my knowledge we didn't offer him a pay cut option of maybe 1/2 of the 6 million we owed him this season.

Now we want to pay him the vet minimum?? Which from what I've seen is $745,000 for a player who's played 8 years in the league.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a_minimum_salary_a_player_can_earn_in_the_NFL

If I'm Cooley I scoff at that and wait for a better offer or for a high profile tight end to get injured and I sign for more money because if I'm him I see myself worth more than the vet minimum.

Wel he can do that or play for us. Its up to him,its business,not personal.

mike23md on the sig
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Why? We told him we don't need him. I'd go find a contender to play for if that's all I was going to make regardless of who I played for.

DCRED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:

Exactly. It's not like he's going to be a big threat wherever he plays.

They raised the vet minimum in the CBA just for scenarios like this. Almost a million dollars is still an incredible amount of money to make in a half a year. And I seriously doubt he's "playing for the money" at this point in his career.

Doesn't agree? Thank you for playing. Goodbye.
footy_29

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooley made a lot of money the last couple of years with minimal impact, you could say he was overpaid, to be perfectly honest. As some have suggested, Cooley not having an agent made ANY restructuring attempt improbable.

The TEs of the new era are far more athletic than Cooley, and for that reason I think there will be minimal interest. You can say that he has game and he can get open on short routes, but the league has clearly prioritized different athletes for the TE position, and the Redskins are no different.
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Why? We told him we don't need him. I'd go find a contender to play for if that's all I was going to make regardless of who I played for.

A contender has to want him as well as Cooley wanting to play his last year(s)in a different uniform. Hes a Skins fans,as he said before the skind have done soooo much for him. Us bringing him back on would be another favor. Us not making him wear another jersey.

mike23md on the sig
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:

A contender has to want him as well as Cooley wanting to play his last year(s)in a different uniform. Hes a Skins fans,as he said before the skind have done soooo much for him. Us bringing him back on would be another favor. Us not making him wear another jersey.
very true. Good point, but if the Giants, Broncos, Eagles, Bears, Texans, Packers or Steelers came calling, I'd probably consider it if I was Cooley.

Again, The redskins decided they didnt want him.

21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:

very true. Good point, but if the Giants, Broncos, Eagles, Bears, Texans, Packers or Steelers came calling, I'd probably consider it if I was Cooley.

Again, The redskins decided they didnt want him.

I really don't see how your a fan of a team who you basically disagree with on ever move they make. You'd prefer paying a non existing Cooley of the past few years all that money rather than pay him the minimum Vet salary for the lil he can still do. Cooley's performance went down so of course his pay should as well. If he decides to go to another team, you can bet he wont get much more than what we will offer him next week. The Skins decided they couldn't afford to pay him that salary when he was not producing on the field. This was a business decision and the reason he will resign next week if all is true about a actual meeting is because he knows this was nothing personal but fair on both sides.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: