Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

After Wallace is signed...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: After Wallace is signed... Reply with quote

Next up ...it may be wise to get a head start on Steve McClendon.
He has already demonstrated he can get it done as a starter and has only improved this pre season. He will be a RFA next year.

Im thinking extend him 5yrs /30 million would be a good value now. Should he perform like I think he will this year..that number can go up by as much as 2.5/yr. You don't find (good) 26 yr old NT's every day.

Its possible to sign him give him a 6.5 mill signing bonus going forward to next year.

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with the basic message, but think people are jumping the gun on Wallace right now.

McClendon is a tricky case. Still not completely sold on him, but agree it would help to get him signed sooner rather than later in case he tears it up.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, so what would he be making year on year approximately?

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
Interesting, so what would he be making year on year approximately?

Well a lot depends on how they work out the Wallace deal. Anything is possible to manipulate. The full contract is worth $30 mill for 5 years, part of that is the signing bonus of 6.5 million.

He is set to make$540k this year. You can spread that 6.5 out over the years of the contract, so like 1.083mill per year. Which would give him an avg salary of about $5.783/yr once he's into the contract. Guarantee about 10 million which is what matters most to both sides.

3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: After Wallace is signed... Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
He has already demonstrated he can get it done as a starter and has only improved this pre season. He will be a RFA next year.

Im thinking extend him 5yrs /30 million would be a good value now. Should he perform like I think he will this year..that number can go up by as much as 2.5/yr. You don't find (good) 26 yr old NT's every day.

Its possible to sign him give him a 6.5 mill signing bonus going forward to next year.

This seems premature to me. Lets see if he is durable and plays well in the regular season and doesn't wear out. If they play a lot of nickel then would it be worth it? I am starting to think NT isn't the centerpiece of a D these days. His play has looked good and if he continues to progress he will get paid sooner or later.
Dook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have much cap room left this season. Any deal with Wallace is going to be back loaded more than usual because we just can't give him very much this year.

We're $16m over the cap going in to next season. If a deal is done with Wallace there is another $8-10m we would have to clear then if they did give an early deal to McLendon there would be another $5m to clear.

Not counting another $14-16m we have to clear just to sign our other free agents and $4-6m to sign next years draft picks.
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
We don't have much cap room left this season. Any deal with Wallace is going to be back loaded more than usual because we just can't give him very much this year.

We're $16m over the cap going in to next season. If a deal is done with Wallace there is another $8-10m we would have to clear then if they did give an early deal to McLendon there would be another $5m to clear.

Not counting another $14-16m we have to clear just to sign our other free agents and $4-6m to sign next years draft picks.

And remember, Harrison is going to return to old form and WON'T be released as some of the capologists are predicting. Twisted Evil
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
Dook wrote:

And remember, Harrison is going to return to old form and WON'T be released as some of the capologists are predicting. Twisted Evil

Even if he does return to form he'll still be cut IMO. If he's back to good ol' Silverback he still only has 2 years AT MOST in him.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
treat88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: After Wallace is signed... Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:

I agree that McClendon should be extended, but not at those figures.

Pouha got a 3 year 15 mil deal. Garay got a 2 year 6.6 mil deal. Both are far more proven than McClendon at the same position.

At this point, I'd want to re-up him in the 5 year 12 mil range. Bet he wouldn't say no to 6 mil guaranteed at this point in his life.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this year we let go some veterans but it was already their time to go...

Next season I see us releasing a bunch of players who are either still in their prime, pro bowlers, or key back-ups... Those players come to mind;

Ryan Clark
James Harrison
Brett Keisel
Heath Miller
Rashard Mendenhall
Max Starks (no, I mean like for real... I don't think he's coming back next season at all)
either Leftwich or Batch
Ike Taylor

No I don't think we will release them all, let's be real.. If we do that... We are in a re-building mode, not good.

However I see us releaseing at least two key defensive players and maybe 1 or 2 offensive players, and I almost have a strong hunch that it will be Heath Miller and Rashard Mendenhall.

Defensively, it's all about results, who produces best results get to stay. Who doesn't, go.

Don't get me wrong, I know we all love Heath Miller for his ability to catch and block but I think we all actually does have a low standards for TEs Very Happy after all we don't exactly have a history of good TEs, last one were Eric Green and he wasn't... even a pro-bowler material or produced a consistent performance.

I think Wallace gets to stay, even when I think he may be the next WR to butthead with Todd Haley.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: After Wallace is signed... Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

Pouha got a 3 year 15 mil deal. Garay got a 2 year 6.6 mil deal. Both are far more proven than McClendon at the same position.

At this point, I'd want to re-up him in the 5 year 12 mil range. Bet he wouldn't say no to 6 mil guaranteed at this point in his life.

Those 2 were far more proven but McClendon has at least 4 years on the IIRC.

I'd personally wait and see how this year goes...but playing devils advocate...4-5 years $15-18 mill with half guaranteed would be my guess.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:

Next season I see us releasing a bunch of players who are either still in their prime, pro bowlers, or key back-ups... Those players come to mind;

Ryan Clark
James Harrison
Brett Keisel
Heath Miller
Rashard Mendenhall
Max Starks (no, I mean like for real... I don't think he's coming back next season at all)
either Leftwich or Batch
Ike Taylor

No I don't think we will release them all, let's be real.. If we do that... We are in a re-building mode, not good.

However I see us releaseing at least two key defensive players and maybe 1 or 2 offensive players, and I almost have a strong hunch that it will be Heath Miller and Rashard Mendenhall.

Defensively, it's all about results, who produces best results get to stay. Who doesn't, go.

Don't get me wrong, I know we all love Heath Miller for his ability to catch and block but I think we all actually does have a low standards for TEs Very Happy after all we don't exactly have a history of good TEs, last one were Eric Green and he wasn't... even a pro-bowler material or produced a consistent performance.

I think Wallace gets to stay, even when I think he may be the next WR to butthead with Todd Haley.

I'd add Casey Hampton to that list. I could see next year being a real "changing of the guards" for us.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
Dook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:

Ryan Clark
James Harrison
Brett Keisel
Heath Miller
Rashard Mendenhall
either Leftwich or Batch
Ike Taylor

When you get into serious cap trouble you have to cut a lot of veterans, we're not there yet but we could be if the TV money doesn't arrive in '14 but even so why would we cut Ike Taylor or Heath Miller?

I can see the possibility of cutting Mendy if Redman produces this year.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: After Wallace is signed... Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

Both of those players are in their early to mid 30's and their best years are past and their windows were not very big 1-2 years at most where they were noteworthy. I know Garay (32) is nowhere near McClendon these days, I dont follow Pouha as closely but he's 33 years old.

Maybe Im a little high(I dont think by much) but you've got to be kidding at 5 years-12million.

Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ike Taylor have been our best cornerback past decade, no question but we have younger guys ready to step up. Financially it makes sense to cut him. Timingly, it also makes sense... I hope we won't be in that situation but if Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis outdo their expectation, don't be surprised.

Heath Miller... He's... average by NFL's TE standards, he's reliable, but who isn't reliable? Todd Haley love explosiveness, Heath Miller doesn't offer that. For me, it'd come down to how long will Todd Haley and - Lebeau sticks with the team because the scheme can change, I still think Haley is here for short-term but hopefully he's here to stay!

Casey Hampton, forgot about him. Don't be surprised if we release him this year too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: