Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Something Different Mock
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Something Different Mock Reply with quote

Contract maneuvers:
Jared Allen’s contract is extended to open up some cap space
Brian Robison’s contract is extended to open up some cap space
Charlie Johnson takes a pay cut

Players Kept
Phil Loadholt - 4 years – 17M
Jerome Felton - 4 years - 10M
Antoine Winfield – 2 years – 7.5M
Jamarca Sanford - 3 years - 5M
Jasper Brinkley – 3 years – 4.5M
Geoff Schwartz – 1 year – 750K
AJ Jefferson (RFA) 1.26M
Tyrone McKenzie (RFA) 1.26M
Marcus Sherels (ERFA) 540K

Let Walk:
Joe Berger – C
Erin Henderson – OLB
Andrew Sendejo – S
Jerome Simpson - WR

Cuts
John Carlson
Joe Webb
Brandon Burton

Free Agent Signings
Drew Stanton - QB – 2 years - 2M: Matt Moore is my #1 choice, but I feel he will go someplace where he has a better chance to start, or a team will overpay him to be their backup. Stanton should have been starting over Mark Sanchez this year, but the Tebow fiasco pushed him to Indianapolis. He has the arm to make NFL throws, and he can move a bit.

Terrance Knighton - DT – 5 years – 25M: Knighton has been known to let himself go over the offseason, but when he’s in shape, he’s a phenomenal run stuffer, which is what this defense needs next to Kevin Williams. This should also improve our Linebacker play, as Knighton can occupy multiple blockers all game long.

Daryl Smith – OLB – 3 years – 11M: Smith is a solid OLB if he is healthy. He had a groin injury that sidelined him almost the entire season. He is an instant upgrade over Erin Henderson, but has languished on a bad team for his entire career. This would be an incentive laden contract to prove he’s healthy.

The Draft
*Trade* Vikings trade WR - Percy Harvin to the Dallas Cowboys for WR – Miles Austin a 3rd round pick, and a 5th round pick.

Percy has worn out his welcome with the Vikings, and it’s time to move on. The Free Agent WR’s on the market will come with price tags that the Vikings just can’t afford. Austin signed a big contract with the Cowboys, but there is no bonus money due under it. He agrees to restructure his deal and reduce his base salaries to come to a team where he can be a Number 1 target. While he has an injury history, he is a legitimate #1 WR when he is healthy. Austin is the same age as Dwayne Bowe, and will end up being cheaper than Bowe would be. Percy will become the perfect complement to Dez Bryant in Dallas.

1st – Chance Warmack – OG – Alabama: I think that Warmack may be the best player in this draft, regardless of position. He’s a huge man who is equally impressive in pass protection and run blocking. Placing him between Matt Kalil and John Sullivan will give Minnesota the best left side of the Offensive Line in the NFL. It will also allow Charlie Johnson, Brandon Fusco, and Geoff Schwartz to fight it out at RG, which should improve that spot as well. This will open more holes for AP and keep Ponder in the pocket. Warmack will help neutralize the high-level DT’s in the NFC North. The addition of Miles Austin allows the Vikings to go with the BPA in the First Round.

*Trade* Vikings trade their 2nd round pick and both 5th round picks to Miami for Miami’s 2nd and 7th round picks

2nd – Kenny Vaccaro – S – Texas: After trading up last year to select the best Safety in the draft, the Vikings again move up to get a top talent at the Safety spot. Vaccaro is the best Senior Safety in the draft, and only falls this far because of the Juniors that have declared. He’s 6’1” and 220 pounds, and possess the physicality to play in the box, and the athleticism to excel in coverage. He instantly gives the Vikings the best young pair of Safeties in the league.

3rd – Da’Rick Rogers - WR – Tennessee Tech: Rogers has some character questions, but his talent is too great to pass up here. He looks the part of the prototype WR, and will remind some of Andre Johnson, T.O. or Julio Jones. He’s tough and will take the big hit. He has reliable hands and has the potential to be a top tier receiver in the NFL.

3rd – Nico Johnson – MLB – Alabama: Johnson is thick and athletic, and was the quarterback of the best defense in college football. He is completely capable of unseating Jasper Brinkley as a rookie, but will most certainly do so by 2014. He possesses an excellent blend of size and speed. Needs to improve on getting off his block, but has excellent instincts and should be able to drop into the deep zone much more quickly than Brinkley.

4th – Sanders Commings – CB – Georgia: Commings is big, strong, and fast. He can jam receivers at the line, and has the speed to hang with them downfield. He’s not yet a willing tackler, but has the size to become a sure tackler. He is the type of CB needed to compete with the Alshon Jeffrey’s and Jordy Nelson’s in the NFC North. Will likely need a year to adjust to the Cover 2 style, but with Cook, Winfield, Robinson, and Jefferson in front of him, he will not need to contribute on D immediately.

5th – Traded
5th – Traded

6th – Nick Kasa – TE – Colorado: Kasa is a big and athletic target who reminds me of a raw Jermaine Gresham. He may be a little faster. He needs to improve his consistency when blocking, but he is capable of stretching the field down the seam. He’s a perfect complement to Rudolph, and can be a threat in the Red Zone.

6th – Ramon Buchannon – OLB – Miami: Buchannon is a raw but athletic Outside Linebacker that will need some polishing, but has the physical tools to be a good Cover 2 coverage linebacker. Will make his living on Special Teams until he has proved he is ready for defensive duties.

7th – Ronnie Wingo Jr. – RB – Arkansas: 6’3” 230 pounds and can run a 4.40 40. I believe he will be far more productive in the NFL than he was in college in a crowded backfield. With Asiata being let go, Wingo will have a chance to make the team as its third running back.

Rip it...I know you will Smile

Last edited by wcblack34 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
this providence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked it all until the Rogers selection. Just don't think he's a very good prospect (questionable foot speed and hands, IMO), and then you get into his character concerns. Not worth the headache, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
Liked it all until the Rogers selection. Just don't think he's a very good prospect (questionable foot speed and hands, IMO), and then you get into his character concerns. Not worth the headache, in my opinion.

I think he showed a lot of potential during his time against SEC competition. The SEC CB's couldn't cover him. He isn't afraid to go over the middle at all. He may have lapses of concentration, but good coaching can hopefully take care of his inconsistencies.

He does certainly have character concerns, but there is a very good veteran presence on this team that I think can help keep him in line.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any DE gets an extension, I think it would be Griffen. Robison turns 30 in April.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
If any DE gets an extension, I think it would be Griffen. Robison turns 30 in April.

For some reason I thought Griffen was under contract for 2 more years. It's probably a good idea to extend them both for 3 years while Griffen is still somewhat inexpensive. I guess it depends on whether or not the coaching staff sees him as a full time starter.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been a fan of Austin. Not sure if I like that trade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt we could get that much for Percy.

Wouldn't mind it if it happened though.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
Never been a fan of Austin. Not sure if I like that trade

When Austin is healthy, he's certainly a #1 WR. I would rather have a couple of other guys, but I think that players like Greg Jennings are going to be way more expensive. When looking for players that might be available via trade, I think Austin is the best one. All the guaranteed money in his contract has been paid. He allows us to get a reliable #1 WR without breaking the bank too much.

More than anything, he moves the chains and stretches the field. 48 of his 66 receptions went for first downs this year. Over the course of his career, 73% of his catches have been for first downs. That's impressive.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl Smith is a solid player, but he doesn't fit Spielman's new philosophy of building through the draft. He will be 31 by next year.

Maxx Williams For Mackey
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Daryl Smith is a solid player, but he doesn't fit Spielman's new philosophy of building through the draft. He will be 31 by next year.

You can't fill every hole through the draft; especially not in a single year. If you want to be a consistent contender, on occasion you have to fill holes via Free Agency. It's also good to have a mix of youth and veteran leadership.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith is also best cast as a SAM backer; a position currently taken up by Chad Greenway
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love the first four picks! That would awesome, you are spot on about Warmack. Personally i don't like the harvin trade, not an austin fan.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Smith is also best cast as a SAM backer; a position currently taken up by Chad Greenway

Smith has played a lot of Weakside Linebacker throughout his career. I think he's better than Henderson there, and for those who are available for the value, I think he'd be a good fit there in our scheme.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

Smith has played a lot of Weakside Linebacker throughout his career. I think he's better than Henderson there, and for those who are available for the value, I think he'd be a good fit there in our scheme.

He's much better as a SAM backer and only really became a good player when he made the switch.

He very well may be better than Henderson at the WILL spot but, then again, that's not saying a whole lot.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
Would love the first four picks! That would awesome, you are spot on about Warmack. Personally i don't like the harvin trade, not an austin fan.

The fact of the matter is that we're not going to get Calvin Johnson back for Percy. Miles Austin is an extremely capable receiver and could actually be available. He's a huge upgrade over anything else on the roster, and we all saw how much average WR's got overpaid last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: