Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jammal Brown has hip surgery (out 4-6 weeks)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Jammal Brown has hip surgery (out 4-6 weeks) Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-right-tackle-jammal-brown-has-more-hip-surgery-out-for-another-4-6-weeks/2012/08/27/9274d766-f087-11e1-b74c-84ed55e0300b_story.html

Quote:
Washington Redskins right tackle Jammal Brown is recovering from another hip surgery, ruling him out for the first six games of the regular season.

Coach Mike Shanahan said Monday that Brown will need four to six weeks to recover from the surgery, which Brown had late last week. The Redskins moved the lineman from the active physically unable to perform list to the reserve physically unable to perform list, which means he canít play in the first six weeks of the NFL season.

I'm wondering why we are keeping but I was talking to my dad about it and he brought up a good point. We really don't have anything better, cutting him now is basically a wash and we have all kinds of OL problems. So I guess when you look at it that way it's worth keeping him to see if he can give us anything in a in 6 weeks after he's recovered from this surgery.

The good news is that Lichtensteiger returned to practice and said he thinks he'll be ready for the opener.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as Kory L is back Cool But Brown is,most likely done IMO.

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's worked hard this off season . Maybe this injury isn't the end of the line for him and the salary cap probably prevents us from cutting him. I think he'll help us the second half ..
DCRED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was already another thread about this.

Thai brought up a good point that we won't cut him because of the cap hit, our $18 million penalty, and us being so close to the cap that we couldn't sign Winston or any other premiere OT's

That's why we had to go with Black, Moll etc.

So everyone who wants to complain about us not going after another OT please blame Roger Goodell and Mara for conspiring to steal $36 million from us and distribute it to the rest of the NFL

Quote:
According to a league source with knowledge of the situation, owners would not set the 2012 salary cap and move forward into the new league year until the union agreed to one of two options: either a lower salary cap in 2012 than in 2011, or salary cap penalties against the Redskins and Dallas Cowboys, with that cap space distributed equally among 28 other clubs. New Orleans and Oakland were excluded from the redistribution because owners determined they engaged in similar contract-shifting practices to a lesser extent.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1192092-dallas-cowboys-washington-redskins-fall-victim-to-shrewd-nfl-maneuvering

The 28 teams faced a lower salary cap if they didn't agree to the sneaky deal. We will be in great shape once this is behind us. But for this year, Brown won't get cut, although he may go to the IR
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:

Thai brought up a good point that we won't cut him because of the cap hit, our $18 million penalty, and us being so close to the cap that we couldn't sign Winston or any other premiere OT's

So everyone who wants to complain about us not going after another OT please blame Roger Goodell and Mara for conspiring to steal $36 million from us and distribute it to the rest of the NFL

Quote:
According to a league source with knowledge of the situation, owners would not set the 2012 salary cap and move forward into the new league year until the union agreed to one of two options: either a lower salary cap in 2012 than in 2011, or salary cap penalties against the Redskins and Dallas Cowboys, with that cap space distributed equally among 28 other clubs. New Orleans and Oakland were excluded from the redistribution because owners determined they engaged in similar contract-shifting practices to a lesser extent.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1192092-dallas-cowboys-washington-redskins-fall-victim-to-shrewd-nfl-maneuvering

The 28 teams faced a lower salary cap if they didn't agree to the sneaky deal. We will be in great shape once this is behind us. But for this year, Brown won't get cut, although he may go to the IR

Very true, it is partly the fault of the cap penalty. But I do blame us for not going for an OL with the Cousins pick (even though I LIKE Cousins) and for spending $$ on Josh Morgan that could've been used with some other $$ to get an OL.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
DCRED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Thaiphoon"]
Quote:

Very true, it is partly the fault of the cap penalty. But I do blame us for not going for an OL with the Cousins pick (even though I LIKE Cousins) and for spending $$ on Josh Morgan that could've been used with some other $$ to get an OL.

Good points. Shanahan has always had mixed success grabbing OL and RB's late in the draft and off waivers. I thought when he grabbed TWilliams that we might see a new philosophy awakening...

If I didn't like Morgan and Cousins I'd be railing about them not taking an OL.
But I would look more at the money C.Griffin got. THAT is a contract I wish we would have used on OL.

And I bet all of us (me included) are hoping for a OT picked high next year...
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DCRED"]
Thaiphoon wrote:
Quote:

Good points. Shanahan has always had mixed success grabbing OL and RB's late in the draft and off waivers. I thought when he grabbed TWilliams that we might see a new philosophy awakening...

If I didn't like Morgan and Cousins I'd be railing about them not taking an OL.
But I would look more at the money C.Griffin got. THAT is a contract I wish we would have used on OL.

And I bet all of us (me included) are hoping for a OT picked high next year...

Yeah, forgot about the C.Griffin $$$. Good pull there DCRED.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:

Quote:

cutting Brown saves us a few hundred thousand, I forget the exact # that woz said.

I agree with Thai about the draft but thats done and I know everyone does love Cousins, I do as well.

I guess my problem would be like you and thai said, we spent a lot of $$ at wr and we didn't address the RT position. I also agree about Ced Griffin, that just seems like a waste of $ hes not better than barnes and barnes is a lot cheaper. Just seems like we could have used our resources since we got screwed with the cap hit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Quote:

cutting Brown saves us a few hundred thousand, I forget the exact # that woz said.

I agree with Thai about the draft but thats done and I know everyone does love Cousins, I do as well.

I guess my problem would be like you and thai said, we spent a lot of $$ at wr and we didn't address the RT position. I also agree about Ced Griffin, that just seems like a waste of $ hes not better than barnes and barnes is a lot cheaper. Just seems like we could have used our resources since we got screwed with the cap hit.

First off, what is with all of the whining about Cedric Griffin's contract? It's a 1 year/$2.5M deal. Let's all be honest here: putting that money to getting another free agent was not going to solve our right tackle woes. At that price, you're getting another replacement-level/journeyman player. We've got that.

As for Morgan, it's a 2 year/$11.5M due to the automatic voiding. Is that a chunk of change? Yes. However, would it have made a difference to get a guy to fix the line?

Per the FF free agent page here's what was also available:

Quote:
TOP OF MARKET:
Demetress Bell (BUF) - OT
Jared Gaither (SDG) - OT

OTHER OPTIONS:
D'Anthony Batiste (ARZ) - OT
Brandon Keith (ARZ) - OT
Kirk Chambers (ATL) - OT
Mark LeVoir (BAL) - OT
Frank Omiyale (CHI) - OT
Anthony Collins (CIN) - OT
Dennis Roland (CIN) - OT
Oniel Cousins (CLE) - OT
Artis Hicks (CLE) - OT
Jeff Backus (DET) - OT
Quinn Ojinnaka (IND) - OT
Guy Whimper (JAC) - OT
Barry Richardson (KC) - OT
Ryan O'Callaghan (KC) - OT
Vernon Carey (MIA) - OT
Pat McQuistan (MIA) - OT
Kareem McKenzie (NYG) - OT
Robert Turner (NYJ) - OT
Khalif Barnes (OAK) - OT
Stephon Heyer (OAK) - OT
King Dunlap (PHI) - OT
Trai Essex (PIT) - OT
Max Starks (PIT) - OT
Chris Kemoeatu (PIT) - OT
Tony Moll (SD) - OT
Adam Snyder (SF) - OT
Adam Goldberg (STL) - OT
James Lee (TB) - OT
Sean Locklear (WAS) - OT

I notice a few names that we did pick up, plus some guys we know are not worth the effort.

As for the two guys are "headlined" the market, one's already been sent to the bench (Bell) and the other is out indefinitely with back spasms (Gaither).

For tackles, there just was no there there.

NOW, it is possible we could have made a big move for an inside lineman (e.g. Ben Grubbs, Chris Myers, or Carl Nicks (but I recall us thinking he was more of a power blocking scheme guard)). Had the penalty not been levied on us, I could see us doing that. In turn, we might have drafted someone other than Josh LeRibeus. Of course, that assumes we would have drafted an offensive lineman in his place and not say a Brandon Taylor, Brandon Hardin, or Jamell Fleming. Had that happened, we would be in the exact same place.

In any event, we can keep bellyaching about this. It isn't going to change anything. We've got the hand we're dealt.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Quote:

First off, what is with all of the whining about Cedric Griffin's contract? It's a 1 year/$2.5M deal. Let's all be honest here: putting that money to getting another free agent was not going to solve our right tackle woes. At that price, you're getting another replacement-level/journeyman player. We've got that.

As for Morgan, it's a 2 year/$11.5M due to the automatic voiding. Is that a chunk of change? Yes. However, would it have made a difference to get a guy to fix the line?

Per the FF free agent page here's what was also available:

Quote:
TOP OF MARKET:
Demetress Bell (BUF) - OT
Jared Gaither (SDG) - OT

OTHER OPTIONS:
D'Anthony Batiste (ARZ) - OT
Brandon Keith (ARZ) - OT
Kirk Chambers (ATL) - OT
Mark LeVoir (BAL) - OT
Frank Omiyale (CHI) - OT
Anthony Collins (CIN) - OT
Dennis Roland (CIN) - OT
Oniel Cousins (CLE) - OT
Artis Hicks (CLE) - OT
Jeff Backus (DET) - OT
Quinn Ojinnaka (IND) - OT
Guy Whimper (JAC) - OT
Barry Richardson (KC) - OT
Ryan O'Callaghan (KC) - OT
Vernon Carey (MIA) - OT
Pat McQuistan (MIA) - OT
Kareem McKenzie (NYG) - OT
Robert Turner (NYJ) - OT
Khalif Barnes (OAK) - OT
Stephon Heyer (OAK) - OT
King Dunlap (PHI) - OT
Trai Essex (PIT) - OT
Max Starks (PIT) - OT
Chris Kemoeatu (PIT) - OT
Tony Moll (SD) - OT
Adam Snyder (SF) - OT
Adam Goldberg (STL) - OT
James Lee (TB) - OT
Sean Locklear (WAS) - OT

I notice a few names that we did pick up, plus some guys we know are not worth the effort.

As for the two guys are "headlined" the market, one's already been sent to the bench (Bell) and the other is out indefinitely with back spasms (Gaither).

For tackles, there just was no there there.

NOW, it is possible we could have made a big move for an inside lineman (e.g. Ben Grubbs, Chris Myers, or Carl Nicks (but I recall us thinking he was more of a power blocking scheme guard)). Had the penalty not been levied on us, I could see us doing that. In turn, we might have drafted someone other than Josh LeRibeus. Of course, that assumes we would have drafted an offensive lineman in his place and not say a Brandon Taylor, Brandon Hardin, or Jamell Fleming. Had that happened, we would be in the exact same place.

In any event, we can keep bellyaching about this. It isn't going to change anything. We've got the hand we're dealt.

Woz...shame on you!!

We were having a spectacular mope and you go and ruin it with your facts.

College boy...

Slateman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant say I didn't call this months ago. Complete lack of planning by Shanahan and Allen. RT is a huge hole and every team we play is going to know it.

Which happens first: Brown starts a game at RT or Griffin III gets injured?
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Cant say I didn't call this months ago. Complete lack of planning by Shanahan and Allen. RT is a huge hole and every team we play is going to know it.

Which happens first: Brown starts a game at RT or Griffin III gets injured?
Hopefully neither. I think at this point Polumbus is a better player and I don't want Griffin to get injured
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know,, another head scratcher too .. When he was hurt 4 weeks ago! 4 weeks ago! .. They did an MRI-You'd think it woulda shown the torn ligament and it could have been repaired --4 weeks ago !
footy_29

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Woz.

Teams have holes. The NEP have holes, the GB Packers have holes. You continue to draft players of value and develop them with good coaching/structure. The FA crop amounted to scraps and we knew going into the draft that the tackle position was not deep. Polumbus has played well enough to suffice.

Blknite01's masterpiece
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Woz...shame on you!!

We were having a spectacular mope and you go and ruin it with your facts.

College boy...

Captain Killjoy, at your service.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: