Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets Trade Wayne Hunter for Jason Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonezy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
lol November 18th, biggest game of the year. Jets Vs their regrets.

I'll be there lol

Anyway, I'll be surprised if Jason can grasp the mental side in NY, couldn't do it at all here.

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonezy wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
lol November 18th, biggest game of the year. Jets Vs their regrets.

I'll be there lol

Anyway, I'll be surprised if Jason can grasp the mental side in NY, couldn't do it at all here.

The good thing is he is not expected to start, so he wont be rushed to learned the system. I hear a lot about that tho.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
Heet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the trade. Hunter being gone is an upgrade. If we cut him it would be an upgrade. Smith gives us youth and the ability to get back to his ole college days. The concussion nearly three years ago was a huge deal. Hopefully Brick & Mangold will take him under their wing and get him going again. A Mayhem type of turnaround if you will.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Props Jamison.
Quinton Coples
1 TKL
Melvin Ingram
1 TKL, 1 FF
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic Tannenbaum move. Former first round pick with unique talent that has fallen out of favor with a new coaching staff, injury history, etc.

If he makes out like Maybin, it's a steal. If not, oh well. Wayne Hunter wasn't going to be a big part of this team anyway, and now his contract is off the books. If Austin Howard isn't enough, at least we have an athletic option behind him/some depth incase of injury. The last thing I wanted to see was Wayne playing tackle again...

New York Sack Exchange Redux
Davey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmaloop wrote:
He'll be used in our max protect/jumbo situations. Howard's still the starter.

Which, to be fair, there will be a lot of.

It sounds like the expectations aren't unrealistic, at least, and if Manish Mehta's report is correct it wasn't the Jets that proposed this deal but the Rams. Which would imply that the Jets are at least to an extent comfortable with Austin Howard at the moment.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about this. Obviously, Wayne Hunter had become radioactive here in NY, but Smith has been a major disappointment, too. PFF has him graded as a somewhat better pass protector, but a less effective run blocker as a pro than Hunter. He also cost 1.5 million more in guaranteed $$$.

I think the biggest positive to take out of this is the FO must think pretty highly of Howard, enough so that they feel confident in sending the devil they know to the Rams for a more expensive reclamation project. I just hope they can also bring in a lesser known OT off the streets next week as well as a actual backup center. Send Schlauderoff packing, put RG2 on the PS. Ducasse is the backup G, jumbo TE.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Smith came from a Spread offense at Baylor. He struggles with the 3 point stance and power blocking.

That is basically what I just read off of Yahoo sports.

The best part is that if he does not play in more than 31% of the snaps is 2013 contract is voided. If he does play, he gets 12.5 mill or something like that.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schotty doesn't know

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Schotty doesn't know

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Great low risk, high reward trade. Goodbye Hunter.
xenajets

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what negative Ram fans say about Smith but to trade him for Hunter straight up with no picks is unreal. Worst case scenario is he isn't all that good and Howard starts at right tackle and does well. We don't extend his deal after this year and we actually get rid of Wayne in the process. In an ideal world he lives up to his #2 overall status in the 2009 NFL draft. We get a pair of bookend tackles for the next 8 years!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a good move to get someone with potential behind Howard because Howard is going to be tested for the first 6 weeks.

1. Bills - Anderson (10 sacks) and Mario Williams (injured 5 sacks)
2. Steelers - James Harrison (9) & Woodley (9)
3. Miami - C.Wake (8.5)
4. 49ers - A.Smith (14)
5. Texans - Conno Barwin (11.5)
6. Colts - Mathis (9.5) & Freeny(8.5)

So we will see good Howard really is. If he looks good going through that, we better give him a big contract. This is pretty much Howard's rookie year, so I expect him to screw up sometimes. This is going to be tough for an undrafted Free Agent.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
GangGreen718

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne Hunter is the worst tackle of all time.
Only Schotty would be stupid enough to trade for him.
neauone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Lets wait and see Reply with quote

A word of caution, Lets wait and see. Howard has played one game and has been bouncing around for what 3 years going into his 4th year? Now we get Smith who has been a major disappointment ala Gholston. What the Jets have done is rid them of the Hunter situation and took on a player who "could" rebound and restart his career like Maybin. The Jets are looking to capture lightning in a bottle. Worse case scenario is that neither works out, best case is both work out. I think the Jets are going into the season weak on the right side and if the competition can exploit it they will. Lets hope for the lightning.
Rich51

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i'm reading, specifically on the below link, it seems like we are just renting Smith for a year. If he doesn't play well, we
can cut him, if he plays well and is in on 31% of the offensive snaps, his contract is void and he's free to make his own deal.

I'm not sure how the 11+ million dollar bonus comes in but unless Howard gets hurt or really stinks early on, i doubt that Smith gets the chance to be the pro bowl caliber player that would warrant a 12 million dollar contract

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/27/jets-likely-will-have-jason-smith-for-one-year-only/

Anyway it's good to get rid of Hunter. We could have avoided this by just cutting Hunter in the off season and drafting Massie with our fourth round pick... oh wait we didn't have a fourth round pick.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it was clear the Jets weren't really interested in moving Hunter, looks like we can all thank Schotty and the Rams for proposing this trade. While we pay a little extra for Smith, he does get a change of scenery and isn't going to be our starter. He will fill the role of extra blocker that Hunter was doing. If he amounts to anything, it would be awesome. If not, he's just ok depth for this season and then we can cut him with no penalties.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: