Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Christian Ponder Optimistic about Playoffs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Christian Ponder Optimistic about Playoffs Reply with quote

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21318945/minnesota-vikings-coming-together-they-wrap-up-training

Quote:
MANKATO, Minn. -- Twenty-two days, 15 workouts, 11 padded practices and one preseason loss after arriving at Minnesota State University, the Vikings ended their 52nd training camp with quarterback Christian Ponder boldly talking playoffs for a team that lost 23 games the past two seasons.

"I think so. In our minds, we have a good team," Ponder said Wednesday, Aug. 15. "Obviously, we've still got a lot of things to get better at in the next two weeks. Last year, we were in so many games. Could have easily been 10-6 instead of 3-13. That's a good sign. We were close last year, and we're only going to get better this year."

Love the optimism. I don't think the Vikings have had QB like him that said and did all the right things in a long time. If he can take it to the field the Vikings should be much improved compared to last season.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder is also saying he has set the goal of having a 75% completion rate on 1st and 2nd downs, which would be an alltime NFL record.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/16/christian-ponder-sets-an-unreachable-statistical-goal-for-himself/

c'mon dude, let's come back down to earth a bit.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he just wants to hand the ball to AP, and do either shovel or screen passes on 1st and 2nd down.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with setting loft goals, not that there is a realistic chance of hitting these goals, you have to strive for something. I would be happy with 60-65% at this point, and that woudl indicate that the offense is moving the ball fairly efficiently.
milanb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playoffs? This year? I'd absolutely love to see that happen -- it would mean a few things:
1. No one on the team was injured the whole year and Adrian was 100% back to his old self.
2. The O-line gelled and the defense showed up.
3. Leslie Frazier would be awarded Coach of the Year.
4. Spielman would confirm he has evolved and is a solid GM.

Now for Ponder's goals, I like his moxie; however, it's usually some kind of omen when someone states "I think I can get to . . . " It's almost as bad as being on the cover of Madden!

Now, for hypothetical stuff . . . If this offense averages 7-8 possessions a game and 8-9 plays per possession, they'll have a good shot at scoring points. Let's say they have 1 turnover and 2 punts per game. That would mean they score on 4 or 5 possessions per game (unless they turn it over on downs).

If the scores are mostly TDs, this team will be scoring about 24-30 points per game --- if this team does that, with this D-Line, I see no reason they don't pull a few more wins than we "expect."

Yes, I've stated before I think this team wins 6 or 7 games -- that's what I expect . . . Smile

I'd be ecstatic if they won enough games to make the playoffs -- much less climb from the bottome of the division cellar.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MN making the playoffs would be a huge shock, however, this is what the NFL is all about. Surprise underdogs, league wide competitiveness, we see it every year.

However, everything has to go right for MN.

No injuries to key starters. Ponder needs to be a 3500 + yard passer, limit turnovers, and be efficient. Peterson will have to not miss a beat, and dominate as he did pre injury. The Oline will have to give Ponder protection. The pass rush will have to be elite. The run defense will need to show up to the point where its at least not a liability. Lastly, the secondary will have to take a HUGE leap to even compete in the NFC North. Again, i wouldnt say its impossible for all this to happen, but the odds are stacked against MN at this point.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further, MN certainly has the schedule to possibly sneak up on some teams, outside of the division anyway.

Rams, Cards, Seahawks, Redskins, Jags, Bucs and Colts all had top 15 picks last year and neither team has shown anything to suggest they will improve, at this point.

Again, I am not implying that MN will be a playoff team, merely making a suggestion that the schedule is not all that difficult outside of the division where MN may have some winnable games. Enough winnable games to put the team in a position to where if they can win half their divisional games, they may be in the thick of things for a wild card spot.
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have players who are optmistic with lofty goals, then someone who content with where they are and what they are doing.

It is not out of the realm of possiblity that the Vikings will have an excellent season. Like VR and Arctic say, lot's of things have to happen, and the Vikings have to have the breaks go their way. But none of those things are impossible.

You know, a couple of key injuries to the other teams of the NFC North, things will look very different. If Rodgers goes down in Green Bay...if Urlacher has difficulty in returning to the Bears...If Megatron has a balky hamstring...who knows what will happen. I'm not wishing injury to anyone, but they DO happen, and they effect the outcomes of games and seasons.

Let's just hurry up and begin games that count!! I can't stand the offseason!!!!!
heydudemanG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not making the play offs this year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Megatron is on the Madden cover, so that helps us haha.

Really though, I'd be super surprised if we got to the playoffs. That being said, I love Ponder's moxy. I don't think many people outside of dedicated Viking fans know how much of a leader he's being for this team. If he keep improving his game he'll be here a long time just for that reason. He's not guarenting a playoff berth, he's just saying we have the talent to push for it, and we actually do have the talent we just need it all to click.

#TankItTeddy
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaws on Ponder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFClI7_tP-k
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schedule is pretty soft in the 1st half but gets brutal in the 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised if we looked like the Bills of last year, good surprising start and rough finish.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well did you expect him to say something along the lines of "Yeah, I hope we finish 6-10, the coach gets fired mid season and I get benched after 4 games?" lol of course not.

There is nothing wrong with being optimistic. Everyone needs to be in the mindset that we are in this to compete right now. If you are a coach, team president, GM, and you are the one telling your team that its okay if we have a bad season, and winning isn't that important, then I feel you absolutely must be fired.

Christian Ponder has a great mindset. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do.

down but not out. I still believe!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
The schedule is pretty soft in the 1st half but gets brutal in the 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised if we looked like the Bills of last year, good surprising start and rough finish.

Week 12 - @ Chicago Bears
Week 13 - @ Green Bay Packers
Week 14 - Chicago Bears
Week 16 - @ Houston Texans
Week 17 - Green Bay Packers

Who the heck made that schedule Shocked

If playoffs are to be a reality, MN will have to have about 8 wins at this point in the year, assuming MN wins just two games after Week 11. Playoffs are probably a long shot, but the NFL is so unpredictable, I dont think anything would surprise me anymore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: