Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Week 4 GDT: Minnesota Vikings vs Houston Texans
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Preseason Week 4 GDT: Minnesota Vikings vs Houston Texans Reply with quote

vs

When: Thursday, Aug. 30th 2012
Where: Reliant Stadium
Time: 6:00 PM CT
Channel: ABC 13

^We haven't heard DeVier Posey's name all preseason. He will likely get some reps against the Vikings

Just like the WWE have a go-home show (a weekly show before a pay per view event) the 4th game of the preseason is the go-home game before Week 1 of the regular season. Neither teams starters are not going to play which means teams will get final looks at backups so they can make their decision on whether or not to cut them.

Week 1 is almost here guys!

Last edited by Texansfan713 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last battles I see.

O-Line - Andrew Gardner vs. Shelley Smith, etc. Brooks and Jones make the roster due to draft position so I figure there is one interior job left. I don't see a 4th tackle so I think the extra spot will be a G with Wade Smith an the fallback option for tackle if Newton struggles or gets hurt. I think Butler would be the first option if Brown gets hurt.

Secondary - McManus, Carmichael, Keo, Nolan, Pleasant, and yes Alan Ball all in the mix for 2 spots. I think McManus is safe (as well as Demps), but no way there is room for Keo, Carm, and Nolan, so some recent draft picks are getting cut. I think McCain should be on the bubble too, but acknowledge that he isn't. FYI - this is a good thing as 5th-7th rounders shouldn't routinely make good teams and 4th rounders occasionally are filtered out after a year or two.

ILB - Alexander is now a lock, but I think he is playing well enough to make Sharpton a candidate for IR once weeks 6-10 roll around. Shawn Loiseau needs to make a statement to make PS. ILB is one of the few positions with depth concerns right now and Bradie James hasn't exactly made DeMeco an afterthought so far, especially as we'll get to watch him making a huge difference for the Eagles this year.

QB - Beck/Keenum - I hate using week 4 preseason to evaluate anything ever since Rex Grossman made our team by beating up on 5th stringers. If Beck doesn't stink up the place, he needs to be on this roster over Keenum who is nowhere near ready to be forced into action the way Yates was. Personally, I think Yates should be out there as well, but I'd rather seen Beck and Keenum with real players, not tomorrows waiver wire that will play in the 2nd half.

RB - Grimes. He is really competing with o-lineman or dbacks to justify carrying a 4th rb. Ogbonnaya deserved to make the roster last year with his play in the preseason, but that didn't stop us from cutting him to keep Slaton which clearly was a mistake. I suspect Moran Norris will essentially take his spot and we'll try to bring him back on PS as we really have no reason for a 4th Rb absent injury.

WR - I don't see a #5 who has earned the job. Posey may get it by default, but he clearly hasn't earned it and may just occupy the Garret Graham/Thomas Austin annual weekly inactive spot. Will be interested to see if Jackson is worth a PS spot or if Maehl or Iglesias are worth a return visit to our PS. Curious if we'll see Martin on returns, but risk there is that one TD return could cost Holliday his spot (which I'm convinced would suit Kubiak just fine).

LB - Jesse Nading. This tool seems to make the roster in week 4 of every preseason. He was a joke this week when it mattered. Can we finally move on from this project? Sure would like to see Braman return to beserker mode this week and justify a few more regular season snaps.

NT - Supposedly Crick will see some time here this week since we aren't playing Cody or Mitchell. Looked good at DE last week and he becomes more intriguing if he shows glimpses of being able to play multiple positions on the line like Antonio. Knock on him is run defense, so NT seems like a stretch to me, but he's welcome to prove me wrong.

So is Dwight Jones going to show up and justify his spot on whatever the "Reserve/Did Not Report" list is? Do we really need a separate list for someone who doesn't want to even compete for a job that pays a minimum of $390,000?

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might or might not watch this one. Don't know.

If I DO watch it, I will be:

- Watching DeVier Posey. I think everyone is quick to call this for what it is right now, and that is a development pickup that was taken a full 2-3 rounds too early. Doesn't mean that it is a COMPLETE waste of a selection, just a waste of a selection when held against our 2012 expectations. Posey simply hasn't got any snaps, and part of that is due to his inability to pick up what is being asked of him. Let's see if he can perform against guys who actually have no business on a football field.

- Seeing whether or not Jonathan Grimes makes things interesting: In his limited time against the Saints, Grimes looked good; Caught the ball well, ran hard when the holes presented themselves...he has been a plesant surprise at the RB spot. Only issue is that RB is REALLY deep. Had this been two years ago, Grimes would make the team, probably wouldn't dress up for this game. Now? Yeah, he's got to show that he can be in there for the duration of a game and continue plodding along.

- Taking notes on Jared Crick. When the guy is healthy, he's not that bad. Had a few good pressure plays in the Saints game. Let's see if he can have two good showings in a row.

- Hoping Alan Ball blows a few plays. Like, seriously. I wanna see him completely whiff on a pass deflection and allow a 5 yard slant route turn into a 60 yard TD catch. I wanna see him completely miss a RB in space, turning a 3 yard gain into a 30 yard romp. I want to see Joe Webb juke him on a scramble for a 1st down on 3rd and 17. I wanna see him get washed out as a gunner on PR. I wanna see him pick off a pass and run the wrong way for a safety. Anything bad (save for an injury) that can happen to the guy, I wanna see.

If I DON'T watch, I'll be:

- Drinking/playing Golden Tee at Stadia in Sugar Land
- Getting ready for the weekend in San Antonio with the wife and baby
- Building some massive baby gates
- Planning out the new garden
- Playing Madden 2005
- Playing Mass Effect 3
- Watching "The American" with George Clooney or "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" with the wife ($2 to own, at Blockbuster!!!)
- Shaving (my beard is getting to "crazy homeless guy" length)
- Studying for the GMAT (my GMAT waiver was denied. Damn UH-Victoria).
- Paying bills
- Looking for a new home laptop (current one is kind of old)

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever is under center is going to get annihilated. Our backup O-linemen are turrible. Yates couldn't get all his backsteps in most of the time during the NO game so I'm expecting for MIN to get at least 6 sacks.

If Posey doesn't get the ball thrown his way either he has no friends or he is in Kubiaks doghouse (half joking) THROW HIM THE BALL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJ just tweeted "Back in action!" I wonder if that means he'll get a series or 2 Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see Alan Ball play out of his mind, get a pick, some nice breakups, earn his way onto the starting defense.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
texandominance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad this game is in Houston, otherwise I would love to go again. I am excited to get to watch the game though, but I might have to watch my Gophers take on UNLV instead.
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
Whoever is under center is going to get annihilated. Our backup O-linemen are turrible. Yates couldn't get all his backsteps in most of the time during the NO game so I'm expecting for MIN to get at least 6 sacks.

If Posey doesn't get the ball thrown his way either he has no friends or he is in Kubiaks doghouse (half joking) THROW HIM THE BALL

The Vikings don't have a lot of DT talent once you get past Kevin Williams, who is not likely to play. I wouldn't worry about their MLBs either.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
jargin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow my friend got us front row tickets for this game. I'm also going to the Dolphins game week 1.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1m Nick Scurfield Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

Kubiak: WRs Keshawn Martin & Lestar Jean will start Thurs. DeVier Posey will play "a great deal"- most of game #Texans

Quote:
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

Gary Kubiak says John Beck will start at QB against the Vikings. Case Keenum will play in 2nd half. T.J. Yates will not play.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Quote:

1m Nick Scurfield Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

Kubiak: WRs Keshawn Martin & Lestar Jean will start Thurs. DeVier Posey will play "a great deal"- most of game #Texans

I am slightly worried about putting Martin/Jean in, but I can agree with the move. They are still very wet behind the ears and need some seasoning, might as well get it now.

Who else gets PT? Posey and...Jerrell Jackson? Trindon Holliday? Jeff Maehl?

Quote:
Quote:
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

Gary Kubiak says John Beck will start at QB against the Vikings. Case Keenum will play in 2nd half. T.J. Yates will not play.

Smart move. I think Beck can make this team with enough reps, and gives us a low risk/low reward option if the bottom falls out like it did last season...

bunnyracin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you wrote that the game is on abc13 at 7 but on Directtv Wipeout is listed there. I also looked all over the place to find it, maybe its just a mistake in the guide but does anyone else have direct tv and see it
?

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
I know you wrote that the game is on abc13 at 7 but on Directtv Wipeout is listed there. I also looked all over the place to find it, maybe its just a mistake in the guide but does anyone else have direct tv and see it
?

Think the game starts at 6 CST. Right?

TommyC376

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

- Playing Madden 2005
- Playing Mass Effect 3

Step yo game up and play some Fallout 3 ... you wont regret it. Your wife might hate me for the recomendation.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

- Playing Madden 2005
- Playing Mass Effect 3

Step yo game up and play some Fallout 3 ... you wont regret it. Your wife might hate me for the recomendation.

Played it, wasn't a HUGE fan of it. Don't get me wrong, I liked it - open world FPS is the awesomesauce. Just...I dunno...can't say why I didn't LOVE it, just didn't LOVE it. Liked it a lot, however.

I have ME3 collecting dust at my house (got it the day it came out and have yet to unwrap it, hence the mention) and Madden 2005 is just boss, especially when you port over NCAA 2005 draft classes; If you put in the time and effort, you can name the players accurately and go from there. Good throwback game if you can get the names right (nothing beats the game not giving Calvin Johnson enough progression as a freshman at Ga Tech, which makes him a 5th round prospect - he's got the size, strength, speed, acceleration and jumping ability to be a monster, so 1.5 seasons into it I have him go from a 75 to a 99...)

Fun times. Alas, looks like I will be watching the game WHILE getting drunk and playing Golden Tee at Stadia, so it's the best of both worlds. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: