Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should we trade for flynn?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EB29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCarroll21 wrote:
lol this has to be a joke

Pretty much my thoughts exactly...

JTagg7754 with the Dope Sig ^^

Jon Gruden wrote:
Great Snatch catch ability there by Nicks
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:
Because he had a couple of good games that makes him a legit starter? Granted he made the most of his opportunities here, but if you look around the league the most of your legit successful starting Qbs are bigger taller with big arms. Flynn dosen't have the prototypical size and arm strength in todays league, he'll be a good career backup imo, i could be wrong but right now i view him as Colt Mccoy 2.0

But it's a big enough sample size to say he's not a starting QB in the NFL? Sounds like a double standard to me. The answer IMO is that the jury is still out. He's shown a LOT of progress since he came out of LSU, when many people didn't think he was even worthy of being a backup in the NFL. You point out the fact that Flynn isn't the prototypical quarterback, but look at the rookie quarterback that just beat out Matt Flynn for the job. Hell, he's even less of a prototypical quarterback than Matt Flynn is. Or how about that quarterback that the Saints have? He's pretty darn good. I'm not disagreeing that you should generally stick to the cookie cutter model, but there are variations to it. If it were set in stone, everyone would have franchise quarterbacks right now.
Of course theres always going to be exceptions to the rule. Drew Breeses sucess comes from his accuracy and pocket presence. Flynn doesn't have that yet. I don't think russel wilson will be the long term answer either. The Newtons Lucks and Flaccos are the future prototypical mold nfl QB.
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:
Because he had a couple of good games that makes him a legit starter? Granted he made the most of his opportunities here, but if you look around the league the most of your legit successful starting Qbs are bigger taller with big arms. Flynn dosen't have the prototypical size and arm strength in todays league, he'll be a good career backup imo, i could be wrong but right now i view him as Colt Mccoy 2.0

So you trade him in for the 5'10 Russell Wilson? Laughing
Wilson or Flynn are not the long term answer, i guarantee they'll be drafting another Qb high next season.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, if you trade for Flynn will he agree to take a massive paycut?

If not, no.

I mean, if Rodgers goes down before week 6 and will miss considerable time, you can still trade for him in-season.
Scuba St3ve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is your head filled with rocks?
CentralFC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuba St3ve wrote:

Seriously? What's the point of that?
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuba St3ve wrote:

Scuba St3ve,

Webmaster wrote:
2. Personal attacks, name calling, and threats to other members are not allowed.

There are better ways to go about questioning someone's opinion rather than blatantly attacking someone. I'd suggest you get familiar with the forum rules.

CWood21
blankman0021

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:

Flynn: 6'2" 225

Rodgers: 6'2" 225
Brees: 6' 201
Brady: 6'4" 225
E.Manning: 6'4" 218
P.Manning: 6'5" 230
Roethlisberger: 6'5" 241

Also: Favre: 6'2 222

All heights and weights via wiki.

He might not have the extra 2" that some of these passers have, but I wouldn't say he has a height disadvantage... The arm strength is the issue here IMO. Not the size.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:

But it's a big enough sample size to say he's not a starting QB in the NFL? Sounds like a double standard to me. The answer IMO is that the jury is still out. He's shown a LOT of progress since he came out of LSU, when many people didn't think he was even worthy of being a backup in the NFL. You point out the fact that Flynn isn't the prototypical quarterback, but look at the rookie quarterback that just beat out Matt Flynn for the job. Hell, he's even less of a prototypical quarterback than Matt Flynn is. Or how about that quarterback that the Saints have? He's pretty darn good. I'm not disagreeing that you should generally stick to the cookie cutter model, but there are variations to it. If it were set in stone, everyone would have franchise quarterbacks right now.
Of course theres always going to be exceptions to the rule. Drew Breeses sucess comes from his accuracy and pocket presence. Flynn doesn't have that yet. I don't think russel wilson will be the long term answer either. The Newtons Lucks and Flaccos are the future prototypical mold nfl QB.

Personally, I believe you have three different types of quarterbacks there. Newton is a new bread of quarterback that has the size to take the punishment that comes with running the ball more, but he can still throw the ball. Luck seems pretty much what a lot of teams have/look for now, a guy that is smart with his throws and has the arm to make all the throws, while possessing good athleticism to make plays in and out of the pocket if necessary. Flacco is a pure pocket passer that offers little/no ability to run the ball and is not when the pocket collapses, seeing he does not have the same mobility and athleticism as the previous two have. He is a big quarterback that can stand in the pocket and has a big arm, but still athletically very different than Newton and Luck.

I think there has been too much emphasis put on Flynn's height, when looking at the numbers is not a big deal. The average height of a starting quarterback is 6'3, meaning a solid range right now is 6'2-6'4. Also, generally the rule of thumb is you want your quarterback to be at least 6'2 anything smaller can harm his vision and throwing lanes, which some quarterbacks have shown can be overcome a la Brees. The main question I see around Flynn is more arm strength based than height. He seems to see the field cleanly and has good accuracy on his short and medium throws, but does not always have the velocity to drive in the deep throws. He showed in his time here that he has decent mobility and can get out of the pocket and make a play. I cannot see any shortcomings from his height and think that he still will compete for the starting job in Seattle or somewhere else next year and at the very least he will have a long career as a solid backup that teams will feel confident about heading into a season with.
strat1080

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:
McCarroll21 wrote:
Yeah im being a bit facetious, but face it flynn doesn't have what it takes to be a starter in this league. His weak arm strength height and mobility is his handicap. that's why guys like him and Colt Mccoy will never make it as legit starters in this league. Unless they become like Brees or Chad pennington short Qbs with weak arms but deadly accurate passers.

Based on? He played excellent against New England, and if I recall correctly he lit up Detroit's first team defense last year who BTW was trying very hard to win so they would NOT have to play New Orleans in round 1.

He lost out to Russell Wilson who is 5'11. Matt Flynn is the same size as Aaron Rodgers. What are you talking about dude?

I think the Seahawks are making a huge mistake. I think they should have sat Wilson for a while and let him pick up the offense and run with Flynn for a while. Its foolish to make the decision on your starting QB after a few preseason games. Flynn is the more proven commodity.

He has started two games. Both against playoff teams and he lit it up. He's a gamer. He's at his best when the games count.

I remember Colt McCoy absolutely torching us last year in the preseason. Preseason is different than the regular season. I don't think its safe to say that a guy earned a starting spot because he's looked good in a couple preseason games. I really feel for Matt Flynn.
justo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for a trade back. Not that contract though. No me gusta.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strat1080 wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:
McCarroll21 wrote:
Yeah im being a bit facetious, but face it flynn doesn't have what it takes to be a starter in this league. His weak arm strength height and mobility is his handicap. that's why guys like him and Colt Mccoy will never make it as legit starters in this league. Unless they become like Brees or Chad pennington short Qbs with weak arms but deadly accurate passers.

Based on? He played excellent against New England, and if I recall correctly he lit up Detroit's first team defense last year who BTW was trying very hard to win so they would NOT have to play New Orleans in round 1.

He lost out to Russell Wilson who is 5'11. Matt Flynn is the same size as Aaron Rodgers. What are you talking about dude?

I think the Seahawks are making a huge mistake. I think they should have sat Wilson for a while and let him pick up the offense and run with Flynn for a while. Its foolish to make the decision on your starting QB after a few preseason games. Flynn is the more proven commodity.

He has started two games. Both against playoff teams and he lit it up. He's a gamer. He's at his best when the games count.

I remember Colt McCoy absolutely torching us last year in the preseason. Preseason is different than the regular season. I don't think its safe to say that a guy earned a starting spot because he's looked good in a couple preseason games. I really feel for Matt Flynn.
They don't base all their decisions on just three preseasons games, they've been practicing everyday and Flynn hasn't really seemed to adapt to the different (and less talented) receiving corps. I wonder if part of Flynn's struggles to pick up the offense has to do with the structure in Seattle; from what I've seen and heard Carroll isn't as disciplined in meetings and practices as McCarthy's ship. I think Flynn is a strong executor of an offense but not a great creator where, for example, a player like Wilson is more creator then executor. If the structure is looser, a player that needs complete understanding of an offense will be slower to pick things up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:

So you trade him in for the 5'10 Russell Wilson? Laughing

Thing is, that's Wilson's only real set issue. Kids leadership is off that charts, sharp as they come, athletic, and has well above average arm talent and a high release point.

Flynn has much of this also but has very average arm talent. More times than not guys like that take a little time to fall in love with. Reason why I said many times on here that I highly doubt anyone would give up big boy picks for him. Man's arm will always make you think twice.

Can't ask for a better backup than a guy like Flynn when you add it all up. Man's a winner that runs well enough to extend the play and has a style that works with low reps. Can lead men also!

Fact is, there is much that would need to go into building a team that could win a ring with a guy like Flynn as your starting QB.

Last edited by palmy50 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:

Unless they'd release him (wont happen)...is there any way via a trade that Flynn can re-negotiate for less money? (wont happen)

Just purely a hypothetical question. I was under the impression that once the signature is on the line the guaranteed money is non-negotiable.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
justo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
justo wrote:

Unless they'd release him (wont happen)...is there any way via a trade that Flynn can re-negotiate for less money? (wont happen)

Just purely a hypothetical question. I was under the impression that once the signature is on the line the guaranteed money is non-negotiable.

I think he can give it back. Players take pay cuts. Not sure about guaranteed money. I know this isn't going to happen but I would love Flynn back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: