Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seahawks officially name rookie Russell Wilson starting QB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdshot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised, but had that feeling this could of happened once Wilson's name was tossed in the hat for the qb starting job.
klyon7634

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now lets just hope Russell doesnt suffer a freak injury thursday night. I would play him no more than 1 quarter then turn it over to matty and josh

Seahawks~ Yankees~ Knicks~ Syracuse Orange

#JDI
hdshot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klyon7634 wrote:
Now lets just hope Russell doesnt suffer a freak injury thursday night. I would play him no more than 1 quarter then turn it over to matty and josh

Atleast we don't have Whitehurst to backup. But yeah, let Wilson get a few good throws in and then pull him.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klyon7634 wrote:

I hope Flynn just tears it up.
Pie Romania

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did today just happen? Really?

First: Our biggest flaw this pre-season (imo), T.O., was released. Less dropped passes. Awesome.

Second: Tarvaris Jackson isn't on the team anymore and we actually get a draft pick in return? JS will draft a stud with it. Epic.

Third: Our most promising pick and player, Russell Wilson, flashes enough greatness on the field to earn the starting job, and actually gets it. OMGZZZZ! Don't let us down buddy!

Amazing day.
Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad for the things I've said during the draft. I had little to no hope 3 months ago.I thought our draft was hideous. And Wilson would end up as a 3rd string QB. I was completely WRONG. I applaud PC and JS unconventional tactics. Furthermore I am a fan of it. Going from having zero starting quality QBs on the roster to having 2 is impressive. I hope Wilson is everything we deserve at the QB position. A STAR!

With that said Carimi over Carp for life Laughing
hdshot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
klyon7634 wrote:

I hope Flynn just tears it up.

Osprey, did you hijack SOS's pass word? Laughing

But seriously did TO cost Flynn the job with that drop TD pass? I believe things could have been different today if he makes that catch. Just like SB 40 its hard on a 2nd chances and takes momentum away.
hawkman98272

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was surprised when I heard it, but only if I didn't watch the three games.

Wilson has come out and played like he deserved it, and he does. Can't wait to watch him play.

IDOG_det

#JDI
Dr.Seahawk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pie Romania wrote:
Did today just happen? Really?

First: Our biggest flaw this pre-season (imo), T.O., was released. Less dropped passes. Awesome.

Second: Tarvaris Jackson isn't on the team anymore and we actually get a draft pick in return? JS will draft a stud with it. Epic.

Third: Our most promising pick and player, Russell Wilson, flashes enough greatness on the field to earn the starting job, and actually gets it. OMGZZZZ! Don't let us down buddy!

Amazing day.

Couldnt have said it any better myself.
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be around here a lot now. You guys play the style of football that initially made me a Titans fan (power running, strong defense) and now have a quarterback I am a huge fan of. Obviously not going to approach my love for the Titans, but certainly my favorite NFC team at this point.
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Going to be around here a lot now. You guys play the style of football that initially made me a Titans fan (power running, strong defense) and now have a quarterback I am a huge fan of. Obviously not going to approach my love for the Titans, but certainly my favorite NFC team at this point.

Good to know. My favourite AFC team would be the Titans

Jake Locker
Matt Hasselbeck
Michael Roos (Eesti mees Wink)
Shazor4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shazor4 the day he was drafted wrote:
Bold prediction: Wilson will be the Seahawks starting QB in the first regular season game.

Cool

Delighted Wilson has won the job. I feared Carroll would still name Flynn the starter but Wilson has clearly beat him in the competition.

I've been a fan of Wilson since I first saw him play for Wisconsin. I followed his career since then and was a big fan of him throughout the draft process. To see him drafted by Seattle was great. I just love watching him throw. Can't wait to see it on my favorite team.

Adopt a Hawk - Russell Wilson - 252 / 393 64.1% 3118 Yards 26 TD 10 INT 94 ATT 489 YDS 4 TDs

The best QB on the Seattle Seahawks
imani

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/72596/little-precedent-for-seahawks-wilson

Quote:
Five rookies are scheduled to start at quarterback in Week 1 this season.

The NFL has previously had no more than two rookie starters at QB on opening day since the 1970 merger, ESPN Stats & Information notes.

Seattle's Russell Wilson isn't quite the same as the other rookies scheduled to start in 2012. Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden were drafted in the first two rounds. Wilson lasted until the third, presumably because teams were skeptical about his relative lack of height.

Wilson will become only the sixth rookie since the merger to make an opening-day start at quarterback after entering the NFL as a draft choice taken in the third round or later. That note comes from Elias Sports Bureau. Wilson stands out from that list as well in that he won the job outright, unlike most of the others.

A quick look at Wilson and the other rookie quarterbacks since 1970 to start in Week 1 as third-round-and-later picks:
2012 Seahawks: The team appeared most likely to start free-agent addition Matt Flynn, but Wilson kept exceeding expectations. Their competition was close most of the way, particularly when viewed through the filter that tends to suppress expectations for rookie quarterbacks. The way Wilson performed in the preseason, especially against Kansas City, validated what the Seahawks were seeing behind the scenes. At that point, Wilson won the job decisively.
2005 Chicago Bears: Fourth-rounder Kyle Orton became the starter by default after Rex Grossman suffered a broken ankle and backup Chad Hutchinson failed to impress. The Bears, with a defense that allowed an NFL-low 12.6 points per game, went 10-5 in games Orton started. Thomas Jones carried 314 times for 1,335 yards. Orton tossed nine scoring passes with 13 interceptions, completing 51.6 percent of his passes. The Bears attempted the third-fewest passes in the NFL that season.
2001 Carolina Panthers: Fourth-rounder Chris Weinke became the starter after Jeff Lewis struggled during the preseason. This would be George Seifert's final season as an NFL head coach. Matt Lytle and Dameyune Craig were the other quarterbacks on the roster. Carolina ranked fourth in pass attempts that season. Weinke had 11 touchdowns and 19 interceptions while going 1-14 as the starter. Jim Harbaugh was on the roster that season, but did not play.
1982 Baltimore Colts: First-round pick Art Schlichter's out-of-control gambling had to play a role in another rookie, Mike Pagel, emerging as the starter that year. The Colts went 0-8-1 during that strike-shortened season, all with Pagel as the starter. Pagel went 7-8 as a starter the following season.
1977 Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Eighth-round choice Randy Hedberg opened the expansion Bucs' second season as the starter. Gary Huff and Jeb Blount also started that season. Tampa Bay went 2-12, then used the 17th pick of the 1978 draft for Doug Williams.
1973 Buffalo Bills: Joe Ferguson started as a rookie and held the job for 12 consecutive seasons. He won four of his first six starts and went 26-16 as a starter over his first three seasons. Ferguson beat out incumbent Dennis Shaw for the job. The Bills leaned heavily on a ground game featuring O.J. Simpson and future Hall of Fame guard Joe DeLamielleure

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
THEFOOTBALLXPRT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bold choice, a scary choice, but in the end it is the only choice that Pete could have made given how things have worked out throughout the process.
outside_Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bettors like Russell Wilson, flipping the Seahawks from +2.5 to -2.5 for Week 1 vs. Ariz

"We all we got, we all we need"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: