Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Potential OT Waiver Wire Targets?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Potential OT Waiver Wire Targets? Reply with quote

Given the present OL situation, it's likely that the FO is going to have to scour the waver wire in the next few weeks to get some help. Do any of you have some realistically possible targets you would consider?

I've been looking at the rest of the league's depth charts and found several 3rd stringers that I felt just might become available. After eliminating those I felt had undesirable stats, I came up with the following list. Unfortunately, I really couldn't tell you much about them, but will be keeping an eye out for them in preseason games. If any of you are familiar with any of these, please feel free to comment.

LT - Jordan Black, Redskins - 6'5", 305#, 7 yrs - DNP in 2011, but: 15 Games, 9 Starts, 1 False Start & 4 Holds for 45 yds, 6 Sacks for 50.5 yds in 2010 w/ Jaguars
RT - Cameron Bradfield, Jaguars - 6'4", 308#, 2 yrs - 10 Games, 2 Starts, 0 penalties, 1.5 Sacks for 14.5 yds in 2011
RT - James Carpenter, Seahawks - 6'5", 321#, 2 yrs - Tore ACL last November so probably won't be able to play this year, 9 Games, 9 Starts, 5 False Starts & 2 Holds for 45 yds, 5.5 Sacks for 43.5 yds in 2011
RT - James Lee, Redskins - 6'4", 308#, 5 yrs - Just 3 games/1 start in 2011, but: 15 Games, 9 Starts, 3 False Starts, 1 Hold, & 1 ??? for 39 yds, 4 Sacks for 30 yds in 2010 w/ Buccaneers
RT - Mike Tepper, Colts - 6'6", 354#, 2 yrs - 6 Games, 4 Starts, 1 False Start for 5 yds, 1.5 Sacks for 11 yds in 2011
RT/RG - Jack Cornell, Ravens - 6'6", 320#, Rookie - If Bryant McKinnie comes back from injury, Oher will move back to the right side, making Cornell less of a need. (See link): http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2012/8/1/3211225/which-undrafted-free-agent-will-make-the-ravens-roster

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue there is all of them bar one are right sided players.

James Carpenter was the Hawks first round pick in 2011, I think it unlikely he is cut.

Handy Link to keep an eye on; http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/OT

There is an outside chance one of Will Svitek and Sam Baker get cut from Atlanta, either could be a solid pickup.

But right now the position we are in, waiting for a 3rd stringer to get cut so we can plug them in an start at LT...Really.

I want to see it go one of two ways; Put Nate Potter at LT and give him some help to push him through growing pains or put Bridges at LT and Massie at RT.

I don't forsee either sadly.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
The issue there is all of them bar one are right sided players.

James Carpenter was the Hawks first round pick in 2011, I think it unlikely he is cut.

Handy Link to keep an eye on; http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/OT

There is an outside chance one of Will Svitek and Sam Baker get cut from Atlanta, either could be a solid pickup.

But right now the position we are in, waiting for a 3rd stringer to get cut so we can plug them in an start at LT...Really.

I want to see it go one of two ways; Put Nate Potter at LT and give him some help to push him through growing pains or put Bridges at LT and Massie at RT.

I don't forsee either sadly.

Oh, I was aware that only one was a LT, that's how bad the situation is! There really are more RT's than LT's around the league right now and what LT's there are after the 2nd stringers are either rookies, turnstiles, and/or penalty collectors. I also doubted Carpenter would be available, but threw him in anyway, just in case for next season. I agree with your thinking Potter starting at LT makes the most sense. I figure, given the situation here, just get the growing pains out of the way early. I'm not positive he'd be very effective in the running game, but hope he could consistently get in the way of anyone rushing the QB.

As for looking at 3rd string OT's, I did it because I doubt any 2nd string OT's will get released. Just trying to be realistic with the players that we likely would have to chose from. Further, I think this OL is so challenged, that there really could possibly be someone on a 3rd string capable of starting ahead of some of these guys (both LT & RT) at some point in the season. Guess where I'd like to see the Cards FO focus on in the next off-season?!? Wink

Thanks for the link & I'll check out those Falcons as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
As for looking at 3rd string OT's, I did it because I doubt any 2nd string OT's will get released. Just trying to be realistic with the players that we likely would have to chose from. Further, I think this OL is so challenged, that there really could possibly be someone on a 3rd string capable of starting ahead of some of these guys (both LT & RT) at some point in the season. Guess where I'd like to see the Cards FO focus on in the next off-season?!? Wink

Guess where I've wanted to see the Cards's FO focus on for the past five years? Wink
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arizona Cardinals will never have a good OL. It starts and ends with Russ Grimm. He can't draft or develop anyone and we end up overpaying average players like Colledge in free agency. You build the foundation in April not sign journeyman and over-the-hill guys like Alan Faneca. Same crappy OL unit year after year.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all on bored for starting Potter and putting a TE next to him. There going to most like be very few guys who get cut that are better then what we have.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potter isn't the way to go IMO. He's well away from being ready to play in this league. Putting up him out there now to get thrashed does nothing for his future development.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured this would be a good time to share a little story about DJ Young albeit negative...

Father and I are good friends with Michigan State offensive coordinator Dan Roushar. My dad works as an AD for a Chicago suburb school, and Dan often comes in the area to recruit, visit etc.

We asked about Young and he responded by saying he's nothing more than a body and was pretty surprised he's lasted this long with us.

Not someone you want maning the left side of your offensive line, much less a backup.

Just thought I'd share that...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been underwhelmed by Young to this point. Gave up the huge strip sack for a td in the Raiders game.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
Figured this would be a good time to share a little story about DJ Young albeit negative...

Father and I are good friends with Michigan State offensive coordinator Dan Roushar. My dad works as an AD for a Chicago suburb school, and Dan often comes in the area to recruit, visit etc.

We asked about Young and he responded by saying he's nothing more than a body and was pretty surprised he's lasted this long with us.

Not someone you want maning the left side of your offensive line, much less a backup.

Just thought I'd share that...

This Dan Roushar fella seems to have the exact same opinion that I do. Young's always been nothing but a body to me and to our coaches. It's just now he's getting more looks because LT's open.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
The Arizona Cardinals will never have a good OL. It starts and ends with Russ Grimm. He can't draft or develop anyone and we end up overpaying average players like Colledge in free agency. You build the foundation in April not sign journeyman and over-the-hill guys like Alan Faneca. Same crappy OL unit year after year.

I'll admit I was excited when we signed Grim to coach the OL. Thinking back, I probably believed the hype sports writers were saying about him, because I really had no direct knowledge/experience with his work. I just knew he had been a hog. Anyway, I hate the blame game and looking for a scapegoat, but I also have over 15 years experience in management. When a team/department/group/etc. consistently has turmoil or underperforms regardless of who is working in/on that department or team, it's always the supervisor (coach) who is the source of the problem.

I now think it is necessary to replace him after this season. I also would like to find someone who runs a predominantly Zone Blocking Scheme. I think the old Man or Power systems just don't account for the incredible speed we see nowadays in defensive players. Further, I believe it results in more consistent gaining of positive yards in the run game. In the ZBS, you take what is given (reactionary) and hope for the occasional missed tackle or exceptional cut/burst to get you a longer run. In a MBS, you get what you can take (attempt to impose), which means you already decided where the RB is running & don't allow for taking advantage of unexpected holes. Grim runs mostly a MBS system with some zone plays and I just have no faith in that working anymore. Sure his system can be emotionally empowering to an offense if it works, but there's got to be a legitimate reason most teams don't operate that scheme anymore and I think it's due to the speed of the opposition.

In the meantime, we need to find some guys who can keep our QB's & RB's from getting killed. Ideally, I'd also like them to be capable of playing in the ZBS. That's where cruising the waiver wire is going to come in. We need to find some stop-gap players (in-house or from other teams) ASAP and if we're lucky, maybe some of them can stick around for at least depth after this year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Potter isn't the way to go IMO. He's well away from being ready to play in this league. Putting up him out there now to get thrashed does nothing for his future development.

How about if he regularly received TE help? And don't you think just seeing the moves RE's put on him, their hand placement, and leverage they use would ultimately aid in his growth? Or are you thinking he will quickly lose confidence and start racking up false starts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

How about if he regularly received TE help? And don't you think just seeing the moves RE's put on him, their hand placement, and leverage they use would ultimately aid in his growth? Or are you thinking he will quickly lose confidence and start racking up false starts?

The bolded.

There's a reason Whiz is slow with rookies, even to a fault sometimes. Rookies make a lot of mistakes and when thrust into early roles in a league where fans demand immediate results, those mistakes will be heavily scrutinized on one after another. That's the easiest way to kill a young guy's confidence. Potter is NOT ready to play. Truth be told, Potter's really not even close to being ready to play. He's a raw 7th round pick who struggles with a lot of aspects of the game, he needs a lot of work. Putting him into that type of environment, knowing he's not ready, you may as well just stamp "Set up to fail" on his forehead.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

The bolded.

There's a reason Whiz is slow with rookies, even to a fault sometimes. Rookies make a lot of mistakes and when thrust into early roles in a league where fans demand immediate results, those mistakes will be heavily scrutinized on one after another. That's the easiest way to kill a young guy's confidence. Potter is NOT ready to play. Truth be told, Potter's really not even close to being ready to play. He's a raw 7th round pick who struggles with a lot of aspects of the game, he needs a lot of work. Putting him into that type of environment, knowing he's not ready, you may as well just stamp "Set up to fail" on his forehead.

From what I have seen he has been our best blindside protector so far this preseason.

Batiste should not be starting on the right let alone the left, Young is nothing but a body, Bridges was beaten up on the right hand side of the line last season.

Given a situation we cannot get anyone in from outside who do you play at LT (I think I know your answer, but will ask anyway)

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
younggun1273

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Daryn Colledge in the mix to play left tackle? If we did that than we could plug in Bridges as left guard and Massie/Batiste at right tackle. That does not seem as bad, but only if Colledge can play left tackle.

Justo on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: