Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roster Cuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Oak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the Chekwa hate on here.

He may not be that good, but at least he makes plays here & there. In fact, he's outperformed DVD in every single preseason game. Not to mention he was better than DVD last year, too. Tarver mentioned it today - he needs to play with more consistency.

As bad as they both have been, I don't see DVD or Chekwa getting released this year. We have no one else on the roster to kick either of them out of the way.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Oak wrote:

He may not be that good, but at least he makes plays here & there. In fact, he's outperformed DVD in every single preseason game. Not to mention he was better than DVD last year, too. Tarver mentioned it today - he needs to play with more consistency.

As bad as they both have been, I don't see DVD or Chekwa getting released this year. We have no one else on the roster to kick either of them out of the way.

Checkwa sucks. Playing better than DVD means nothing. They are both bad cover corners. Classic Davis draft picks. Speed over actual football skill.

Checkwa was worked by Kellen Moore last week. They drove down for a score effortlessly with DVD and Moore at CB.

Both IMO are LONG LONG term projects. Lee is better today and my guess is Reggie has both replaced w/ better talent before the end of this season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a random thought, but what if DVD bulked up and we try him at Safety? Think
Mad Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the status of Goodson?
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pozzi wrote:
Just a random thought, but what if DVD bulked up and we try him at Safety? Think

Thats gonna have to be some major bulking. That kid is so damn small. And IIRC, not that good at tackling.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Professor Oak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Professor Oak wrote:

Checkwa sucks. Playing better than DVD means nothing. They are both bad cover corners. Classic Davis draft picks. Speed over actual football skill.

Checkwa was worked by Kellen Moore last week. They drove down for a score effortlessly with DVD and Moore at CB.

Both IMO are LONG LONG term projects. Lee is better today and my guess is Reggie has both replaced w/ better talent before the end of this season.

I'm not discrediting any of that. I'm simply saying Chekwa has proven to be better than DVD. Both are easily upgradeable, just not with anyone on our roster right now. Pat Lee hasn't shown me much either.

Fact of the matter is, CB depth is poor right now. If Bartell or Spencer go down, things could get brutal.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Oak wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Professor Oak wrote:

I'm not discrediting any of that. I'm simply saying Chekwa has proven to be better than DVD. Both are easily upgradeable, just not with anyone on our roster right now. Pat Lee hasn't shown me much either.

Fact of the matter is, CB depth is poor right now. If Bartell or Spencer go down, things could get brutal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZXC6AAxdUM&t=54

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I like the CB rotation, I'd keep DVD and Chek for the future, both have show glimpses of talent, just nothing consistently
holyghost

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadymatt wrote:
personally I like the CB rotation, I'd keep DVD and Chek for the future, both have show glimpses of talent, just nothing consistently

You got your two starters and after that it's tough to keep 2 developmental guys at once. Someone else has to actually play. Right now McCann and Lee look to be better players. Maybe not more upside, but how far will upside get you if you tank a season because the only skillful corners you have are two 30 year old vets coming off injury? There's not enough progress happening to justify keeping both.
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
Dreadymatt wrote:

You got your two starters and after that it's tough to keep 2 developmental guys at once. Someone else has to actually play. Right now McCann and Lee look to be better players. Maybe not more upside, but how far will upside get you if you tank a season because the only skillful corners you have are two 30 year old vets coming off injury? There's not enough progress happening to justify keeping both.

has McCann done anything, youtube me some clips or put up some quotes from the coaching staff because I haven't heard anything; at least they were raving about DVD in training camp
oak42069

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Man wrote:
What is the status of Goodson?

took a nasty shot by wheeler in training camp was laid out

his debut vs az preseason was a complete disaster.

guess he has a chance to make the roster but that aint saying much

was considered a stud in training camp ?
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodson will definitely make the roster, the management have faith in his talents, but maybe he needs a little more time to get completely back up to speed. Its Jones I'm really excited about versus the Seahawks
oak42069

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadymatt wrote:
Goodson will definitely make the roster, the management have faith in his talents, but maybe he needs a little more time to get completely back up to speed. Its Jones I'm really excited about versus the Seahawks

i want to see jones get a bulk of carries
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadymatt wrote:
holyghost wrote:
Dreadymatt wrote:

has McCann done anything, youtube me some clips or put up some quotes from the coaching staff because I haven't heard anything; at least they were raving about DVD in training camp

I'll tell you what McCann hasn't done. He hasn't gotten torched in 3 preseason games.

Who cares what was said about VHS in camp, he's been terrible in games. No ball skills whatsoever.

Checkwa, same boat. Watching Kellen Moore just ease his way around his coverage the other night was enough for me to be done watching him on this team.

McCann might no be sticking out or getting credit, but I've not seen him looking just flat out garbage in coverage ala VHS and Checkwa. That's all I need to know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Raiders added:

Quote:
The Raiders claimed cornerback Coye Francies off waivers, less than a day after he was waived by the Seattle Seahawks.

So Reggie clearly sees that VHS and Checkwa are liabilities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: