Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cuts around the League
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UPlay2Win

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Cuts around the League Reply with quote

I'll be watching closely for DBs.

http://www.nfl.com/transactions

Jacquies Smith? M-I-Z

Nathan Enderle was cut from Jacksonville.

Former second rounder, Dexter Jackson, cut from the Jets. Journeyman wide out who ran the fastest 40 among his position group at the 2008 combine (4.33).

Green Bay cut Anthony Hargrove who is facing an 8-game suspension.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is it:
Palm Beach Post wrote:
Of the nine, the most interesting names are [...] Tyrell Johnson, a former second-round pick for Minnesota who just hasnít caught on in the NFL [...]
We have shown we don't mind dumpster diving for safeties, and this is going to be the closest thing to "another man's treasure" that we are going to find.

Tyrell when he was joining the Fins last year wrote:
"[...]to compete for the starting job. I cover athletic tight ends pretty well.Ē

Johnson said he can play both strong and free safety [...]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says he can play it, but being an avid fan of the league and never hearing of a 5 year vet -- tells me he has tools but not skills. He's too old to be on the PS, so I don't see much interest in the cat.

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
It's that time of the year ... and surprise looms around the corner.
Here's the place to bring them to attention.

I'll throw in three moves right now:

Quote:
Seahawks released WR Terrell Owens.
Owens showed that he's over his 2011 ACL injury and can still fly down the football field, defeating coverage, but he dropped too many key balls in preseason games and simply didn't win a spot on Seattle's 53-man roster. The Seahawks are actually doing T.O. a favor by releasing him now. Although the odds seem long, Owens still has a chance to crack a Week 1 roster and get his full 2012 base salary guaranteed. He needs to find a taker first.

T.O. done? Have a hard time to believe anyone is going to sign him prior to week 1.

Quote:
Colts acquired CB Vontae Davis from the Dolphins in exchange for a second-round and conditional sixth-round draft pick in 2013.
It's a risky but high-upside move for an Indy defense desperately in need of press-man corners. Davis fits the bill at a physical 6-foot, 203 pounds with athleticism and speed for days. The Dolphins let him go because Davis failed to impress the new coaching staff by reporting to camp out of shape and floundering behind Richard Marshall on the depth chart. Davis is signed very cheaply for the next two seasons and just turned 24. The Colts will easily come out on top of this trade if Chuck Pagano gets Davis' career back on the right track.

Now that's what I call a flyer on potential. Davis - as long as I remember - was a headcase. Lack of motivation, out of shape, but lots of potential (for wha)? And a second rounder plus some at this point in the season ... wow ...

Quote:
Ravens released K Billy Cundiff.
Coach John Harbaugh told Cundiff that the kicker job was his to lose, and he lost it. The move saves takes Cundiff's $2.2 million salary off the books. The Ravens will go forward with impressive -- and much cheaper -- undrafted free agent Justin Tucker, who kicked last year at the University of Texas. Cundiff figures to receive some attention from teams unhappy with their kicker situations.

A big name is not all ... especially at a relatively easy position. No systems there to adjust to - just kick the ball.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
UPlay2Win

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard so much about Vontae. I think he's better than anything you can expect in the 2nd round. Grigson must think he knows what he's getting to go after a player like that. I like the trade for Indy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid trade for the Colts. They add a very good starting cornerback who still at the age of 24 has alot of upside. Tremendous physical talent, the key will be if he is willing to put in the time and effort to continue to take the next step. They add a very good young talent at a position they have been tinkering with for quite some time.

I don't think the current Miami coaching regime was enamored with Davis, so they get what probably will be a high pick in the second round for a player that apparently wasn't in their long term plans.

I think the Colts came out on top on this one.

Edit : Heck, we could have tossed a second round pick to Miami for Davis (who is two years younger than Carr and Flowers) and bounced Routt! LOL

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Solid trade for the Colts. They add a very good starting cornerback who still at the age of 24 has alot of upside. Tremendous physical talent, the key will be if he is willing to put in the time and effort to continue to take the next step. They add a very good young talent at a position they have been tinkering with for quite some time.

I don't think the current Miami coaching regime was enamored with Davis, so they get what probably will be a high pick in the second round for a player that apparently wasn't in their long term plans.

Edit : Heck, we could have tossed a second round pick to Miami for Davis (who is two years younger than Carr and Flowers) and bounced Routt! LOL

This is what bugs me. I would easily trade a 2nd rounder for Davis Sad but then why wouldn't we just re sign Carr right? Wouldn't really make sense either way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

This is what bugs me. I would easily trade a 2nd rounder for Davis Sad but then why wouldn't we just re sign Carr right? Wouldn't really make sense either way.

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with my comment Mikey. LOL
It's almost like you agree but then say neither trading for Davis or signing Carr to an extension makes sense.

I should clarify, I included both Carr and Flowers for the simple reason that both are two years younger than Davis. My preference would have been to simply extend Carr, but that is water under the bridge and obviously when you let an ascending player sniff free agency unless you are willing to toss a boatload of money at them in the free ageny market - they very well could be gone. Davis still has two years left on his rookie deal so while the current cost is a known quantity, Davis could end up being the Colt's version of Carr. It's hard to say. But either way, I admire the Colts for being aggressive and looking to add an ascending player at a position that is an obvious weakness for them. They apparently didn't take a "damn the torpedos" attitude and be resolved to continue making chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what - similar to our very own signing of Eric Winston IMO.

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats to cut Gerard Warren - Old, but maybe?

Vince Young was cut, if he can't beat out Thigpen I don't see it happening, but I'm sure someone will say we could give him a shot. Really could he play any worse than Stanzi has?
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Really could he play any worse than Stanzi has?

Yes. Stanzi hasn't been THAT bad we should just totally write him off, which is what signing VY at this point in the process would mean.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
Really could he play any worse than Stanzi has?

Yes. Stanzi hasn't been THAT bad we should just totally write him off, which is what signing VY at this point in the process would mean.

I agree. Young has done nothing to dispel the unfortunate realization that he just doesn't have the mental capacity or makeup to be in the NFL as a quarterback.

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm certainly not advocating for Young over Stanzi. My comment was more in jest over the frustration. I can see others arguing that point, but right now it seems more like chosing between too bags of garbage. Stanzi at least still has some upside, though honestly this pre-season he seems to have regressed and been consistently sub-par.

More than anything, I guess what I could see is, though it would create the "QB controversy" is pulling a Redskins, and drafting 2 QBs this year. Stanzi going backward is not what any of us expected I think we could all agree.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Yeah, I'm certainly not advocating for Young over Stanzi. My comment was more in jest over the frustration. I can see others arguing that point, but right now it seems more like chosing between too bags of garbage. Stanzi at least still has some upside, though honestly this pre-season he seems to have regressed and been consistently sub-par.

More than anything, I guess what I could see is, though it would create the "QB controversy" is pulling a Redskins, and drafting 2 QBs this year. Stanzi going backward is not what any of us expected I think we could all agree.

I would say if the team ends up targeting a quarterback this year and ends up being able to draft that quarterback - one should do, just make sure it is the right quarterback. We just can't afford to "settle" at this point. And we are caught between a rock and a hard place if Cassel struggles again and the team starts to lose some confidence in Stanzi because expecting a rookie quarterback to come in and hit the ground running is not an easy thing to do. Are more NFL teams going that route? Yes. I just don't see Pioli necessarily doing it.

If we end up with a QB, I see us showing interest in someone like Landry Jones. Rolling Eyes (Who I think could be a Matt Cassel clone pocket presence and awareness-wise with a stronger arm).

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landry Jones is the one "top" guy that I don't really care for. But having a stronger arm automatically makes him more dangerous than Cassel.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Landry Jones is the one "top" guy that I don't really care for. But having a stronger arm automatically makes him more dangerous than Cassel.

Yeah, but if Jones tends to break down in the pocket when he "feels" pressure I don't know that arm strength is going to help him. Now, I don't want anyone to think that Landry has a rocket for an arm, just not a Pennington arm. If anything a player that tends to have too much confidence in his arm might get rattled and start trying to thread the needle - and end up missing underneath coverage for example and throwing a pick.

Don't get me wrong, I want a QB that can and will make all of the throws, I am just starting to appreciate quarterbacks that have pocket presence and composure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: