Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cuts around the League
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic I agree. What good is making all the throws when you can't make the decision to pull the trigger?

I just want us to actually committ to improving the QB position.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Yeah, I'm certainly not advocating for Young over Stanzi. My comment was more in jest over the frustration. I can see others arguing that point, but right now it seems more like chosing between too bags of garbage. Stanzi at least still has some upside, though honestly this pre-season he seems to have regressed and been consistently sub-par.

More than anything, I guess what I could see is, though it would create the "QB controversy" is pulling a Redskins, and drafting 2 QBs this year. Stanzi going backward is not what any of us expected I think we could all agree.

Stanzi has played not even the equivalent of two whole preseason games in his career and we are deducing that he's gone backwards after one bad quarter? Confused

I'd like VY over Quinn, but i know it won't happen. He'll produce for someone who gives him time to learn a system that fits his skills.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He'll produce for someone who gives him time to learn a system that fits his skills.

Running the option at Nebraska? I don't think he is eligible any more!

All I'm saying is Stanzi looked better last year than this year IMHO.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add, we will likely be in a tough position next year unless we really bomb and Cassel/Stanzi stink the joint up to the point where we are picking top 5 because the likely top 3 (Logan Thomas, Matt Barkley, and Tyler Wilson IMO very well could be gone in the top 10 picks) and after Geno Smith there are some quarterbacks that get in the area where you really wonder if they are upgrades over someone like Stanzi (E.J. Manuel, Brad Sorenson, Sean Renfree, for example). Now Mike Glennon could really take the next step for NC State and become a solid candidate. On possible negative, I get a bad feeling he could potentially be the next quarterback to wear the Captain Checkdown cape.I am planning on paying close attention to him this year to see if he can open things up a bit more.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic I like that you completely left out Jones, when in reality I think he has a Pioli type of player written all over him. If he has a strong season and limits his mistakes, I could see him being near the top of our draft boards.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray!! Another QB thread!!
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Nic I like that you completely left out Jones, when in reality I think he has a Pioli type of player written all over him. If he has a strong season and limits his mistakes, I could see him being near the top of our draft boards.

That's what I mentioned in another thread - I get the feeling that Jones could be our target IF Pioli looks to address the position early.

Edit : In fact, I will say, IF Jones takes any sort of step forward and avoids a regression in his senior year and still maintains a relative 1st round grade...AND Pioli is looking to address the position at some point early in the draft if possible, I think Landry would be the pick over someone like Geno Smith if both were available.

ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:
He'll produce for someone who gives him time to learn a system that fits his skills.

Running the option at Nebraska? I don't think he is eligible any more!

All I'm saying is Stanzi looked better last year than this year IMHO.

Oh yeah no question....I think the bad O-Line play got into his head, even going back to last year he's never had a consistent pocket to throw from. So by that 2nd preseason game this year, he was just expecting the worst every down and he didn't handle it well. QB's don't play well when they're thinking about the rush, especially ones who have hardly played.

I think he can be pretty good, but he's not a guy who's ever gonna stand out if these are the only situations he ever gets to play in.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
To add, we will likely be in a tough position next year unless we really bomb and Cassel/Stanzi stink the joint up to the point where we are picking top 5 because the likely top 3 (Logan Thomas, Matt Barkley, and Tyler Wilson IMO very well could be gone in the top 10 picks) and after Geno Smith there are some quarterbacks that get in the area where you really wonder if they are upgrades over someone like Stanzi (E.J. Manuel, Brad Sorenson, Sean Renfree, for example). Now Mike Glennon could really take the next step for NC State and become a solid candidate. On possible negative, I get a bad feeling he could potentially be the next quarterback to wear the Captain Checkdown cape.I am planning on paying close attention to him this year to see if he can open things up a bit more.

Who are the candidates for drafting a QB in the high 1st round:

Bills? they gave Fitz a big contract, so i'm not sure
Jets? they have bigger issues on offense, but I could see it
Browns? After drafting Weeden?
Jags? Looks like Gabbert is progressing
Raiders? Good possibility if Palmer has nothing left
Vikings? Doubtful, unless Ponder is dreadful
Cardinals? Best bet besides Chiefs
49ers? If they are picking high, then Smith probly failed

I see only the Chiefs and Cardinals as teams clearly wanting to draft a QB in round 1. What do you guys think?
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few teams I think could look to address the quarterback position. Obviously a lot depends on how the incumbents do this year.

Arizona Cardinals : I don’t see either Kevin Kolb or John Skelton as the long term solution at the position for the Cardinals. I also see Ryan Lindley as a developmental prospect. IMO, if the Cardinals struggle this year I could see a coaching change and if they have a chance to draft a franchise quarterback, I don’t think they will hesitate to do so. I could see them end up keeping Skelton as the “veteran with some upside” and selecting someone like Virginia Tech junior Logan Thomas as the long term answer, and keeping Ryan Lindley as a developmental backup. I think the Cardinals are the likeliest to target the position with alot depending on the coaching staff and who is available when they pick.

Oakland Raiders : Depending on the front offices’ long term confidence in Terrell Pryor, they could look to the draft for their franchise quarterback. Depending on where they end up, I could see someone like Matt Barkley getting some attention as a possibility. Not only is Barkley a legitimate prospect but also a likely positive from a marketing and fanbase perspective.

Jacksonville Jaguars : Blaine Gabbert has recently shown some improvement but only time will tell if he can continue his development on the fly. If he struggles this year and the Jaguars end up picking in the top 10, I wouldn’t be shocked if they went with a quarterback. IMO Matt Barkley could be a serious consideration if they look to go in a different direction.

New York Jets : The shine might be wearing off of Mark Sanchez and I can’t help but think that the organization and definitely the fanbase are starting to sour on him as the long term franchise quarterback. If the wheels fall off this year and Sanchez continues to struggle to lead the team, like the Jaguars, I wouldn’t be shocked at all if the team decides to add a legitimate quarterback competition by selecting a quarterback early in the draft.

Dallas Cowboys : Tony Romo is entrenched as the starter, but I can’t help but think that Jerry Jones might be interested in atleast considering bringing in a young quarterback to groom right now as Romo’s eventual replacement. The player I can’t help but connect with the Cowboys is Arkansas senior Tyler Wilson. Jerry Jones has an obvious affection for Arkansas and Wilson seems to be the type of gutsy team leader that Jones could look to add now and develop on the roster.

Cleveland Browns : I think the team will stand by Weeden even if he struggles during his rookie year. Personally, I think the Browns have a good chance of picking in the top 5 next year and even if Weeden struggles, I think they will look to build around him.

jimmydee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VY won't ever be succesful in the NFL. He's too stewpit to learn the play book. Obvious enough to understand. Plus, after Dez Bryant's new baby sitter in Dallas, they'd have to hire a full time shrink for Young to keep him from melting down like a little school girl. Exactly what kind of circus is goin on over in Dallas, anyway?

One more year for Stanzi to show improvement, via scout teams, some preseason, or heaven forbid, regular season. What ever his limited chances are, the lad better take FULL advantage of them, or the Chiefs will be moving on.

Quinn is #2 this year, but not after. Whether we draft someone (who ever) or not, Quinn will not be here next year, IMO.

OL line better step up and keep Cassell verticle or it's gonna be a long season.

I'm ready to hit somebody for real.....let's lite this candle!!
Eric Berry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stanzi has played not even the equivalent of two whole preseason games in his career and we are deducing that he's gone backwards after one bad quarter? Confused

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Berry wrote:
Quote:

I am not claiming that. I don't even think he has been really given a chance to show what he can do. If Crennel/Pioli are smart, they will let Stanzi start the last preseason game.

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
If Crennel/Pioli are smart, they will let Stanzi start the last preseason game.

Well, I wouldn't say start, but I'd think a solid 3-4 series (2 QTR's), and series' in which he actually gets a chance to throw the ball some. Now (2nd half of 4th pre-season game) is when they should be experimenting. Laughing

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
If Crennel/Pioli are smart, they will let Stanzi start the last preseason game.

Well, I wouldn't say start, but I'd think a solid 3-4 series (2 QTR's), and series' in which he actually gets a chance to throw the ball some. Now (2nd half of 4th pre-season game) is when they should be experimenting. Laughing

I would. But then again, I wouldn't have already publically said Quinn is the #2. I would have made them (Quinn and Stanzi) fight it out. The fact that Quinn is the #2 and has been locked in publically either is a real testament that Stanzi is still quite a ways away from being ready to take on a larger role or Quinn's NFL seniority tips the scale his way. I mean, realistically other than the behind the scenes stuff in practice and meetings, we don't know if Stanzi is or isn't far enough along in his development to be more than a #3.

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: