You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears re-sign CB Kelvin Hayden to a 1-year deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Bears re-sign CB Kelvin Hayden to a 1-year deal Reply with quote

rotoworld wrote:
Bears re-signed CB Kelvin Hayden to a one-year contract.
Hayden, 31 in July, missed the entire 2013 season with a torn left hamstring and has battled various injuries throughout his career. He appeared in all 16 games in 2012 and is a key special teams player. Hayden will compete for nickel corner duties in 2014. He's likely signing for the veteran's minimum. Feb 28 - 12:10 PM

Good player when healthy. Shores up that nickle spot and gives the team more flexibility come the draft.

Thoughts?
RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the right thing to do. He was good for us in the nickel in 2012 and it would be great to see him reach that form again. Biggs has just tweeted that he's missed 42 games in six years which emphasizes his durability issues. He's a good, solid corner when healthy. We've given him a chance to prove his fitness though and hopefully he does just that.
2016 Adopt-a-Bear: WR #13 Kevin White
Receptions: 19 || Yards: 187 || TDs: 0
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can never have enough Defensive Backs.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a solid depth move for us if he can stay healthy...hopefully we get Bowman & McManis back as well for depth and Tillman to start.
DABEARSLCF04

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he stays healthy I think he will take back the starting NB role.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bears re-sign CB Kelvin Hayden to a 1-year deal Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
rotoworld wrote:
Bears re-signed CB Kelvin Hayden to a one-year contract.
Hayden, 31 in July, missed the entire 2013 season with a torn left hamstring and has battled various injuries throughout his career. He appeared in all 16 games in 2012 and is a key special teams player. Hayden will compete for nickel corner duties in 2014. He's likely signing for the veteran's minimum. Feb 28 - 12:10 PM

Good player when healthy. Shores up that nickle spot and gives the team more flexibility come the draft.

Thoughts?

I cannot disagree with a word you have said. Options are good. The price was right. (I don't know the particular numbers, but I do recognize the philosophy and trust Emery very much with the checkbook.)
G08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean anything for Isaiah Frey?

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:

I would imagine not. I don't think anything other than his play in camp and preseason will affect his status. Always room for a warm body and we could do worse...until we find better.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:

If Frey maintains the nickel spot whic he very well may then Hayden is a guy who can be a depth player at all CB spots or possibly start early on on the outside while a 1st/2nd round rookie gets their feet wet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Frey could play the outside...

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
IronMike84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Frey never has to play outside.

With the Bears looking to re-sign Bowman, that just leaves Tillman as the odd-man out. I'm expecting Tillman to get a "fair market value" offer, similar to the situation with Urlacher last season. The difference here is, I think the league sees Tillman as having more "left in the tank" than Urlacher following the 2012 campaign.

The question going into free agency will be: who starts across from Tim Jennings? I think Bowman is a last-resort option, but obviously he has some starts under his belt. Does anybody think Alterraun Verner is an under-the-radar option in free agency? If the Bears go into the draft sans Tillman or a free agent, corner becomes a huge priority on draft weekend.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy about this. I don't care who earns the nickel spot, I just want him and Frey to have a TC battle for it. He is quality depth, but I don't want him, Bowman, or Frey starting behind Jennings. I still want 1 player to come in via the draft or FA (like Tillman getting a fair deal).

We need DBs, we are facing Rodgers and the Lion's pass-happy offense, and we will need to have 4 CBs on the field at times. I feel confident in him being a solid #3 and a great #4 option.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

With the Bears looking to re-sign Bowman, that just leaves Tillman as the odd-man out. I'm expecting Tillman to get a "fair market value" offer, similar to the situation with Urlacher last season. The difference here is, I think the league sees Tillman as having more "left in the tank" than Urlacher following the 2012 campaign.

The question going into free agency will be: who starts across from Tim Jennings? I think Bowman is a last-resort option, but obviously he has some starts under his belt. Does anybody think Alterraun Verner is an under-the-radar option in free agency? If the Bears go into the draft sans Tillman or a free agent, corner becomes a huge priority on draft weekend.

It's been surprising he hasn't been talked about more - he's a young pro bowl corner. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in at all but I'd rather spend big money on the DL than the secondary.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

It's been surprising he hasn't been talked about more - he's a young pro bowl corner. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in at all but I'd rather spend big money on the DL than the secondary.

With the way Emery was talking about the identity of a defense lying in the corners, and how physical they are. I definitely don't see Verner fitting that mold, although I love him as a player.

BEARS----BULLS----DODGERS----KINGS--
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

With the way Emery was talking about the identity of a defense lying in the corners, and how physical they are. I definitely don't see Verner fitting that mold, although I love him as a player.

I agree. Sounds a lot like the playing style of Darqueze Dennard though.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: