Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Season Expectations....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
This is why the sensible and practical part of my brain wanted Matt Moore to be introduced as the starter under the premise of Tannyhill using this season to view NFL QB play from the sidelines. This way we could have a record that reflected our talent without the Matt Barkley clamoring.

If that scenario where to play out. I'd have to analyze that draft. Because if there's a game changing playmaker available, I would have a hard time trading out of that pick.

That said .... our number one problem is that only 2 of our offensive linemen possess the size / skillset combination to play this style of offense. The scary part of that is one of them is Jonathan Martin. Still waiting for someone to tell me the value of a huge mauler in this offense.

Are you saying that Jonathan Martin is a mauler? He was more known for his pass protection and a finesse OL. Right now i think the game is a little fast for him. I think it's only a matter of time before Martin turns it around.

IMO Richie Incognito doesn't fit this offense. You can see that in pass protection. We are going to struggle in that all season. I think it is something we can address in mid to late rounds next draft. I think playmaker has to be our #1.

I think this year though, we will have to set up the pass by running the ball.

UniversalAuthor
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far Tannehill has done some great things. Last game no one was catching the ball and they were on target. I think this is a season of growth. With a rookie QB, 2nd year in D Thomas and rookie Miller in the backfield. Egnew at TE and Vernon as a pass rusher. Seeing the continued development of Davis and Smith. I think its going to be a good season

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
hammer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know , Bengals fans were saying the same thing this time last year. They looked pretty bad in preseason. I'm not saying it will happen to Miami but let's wait a few weeks before we start deciding what we'd do with a top 3 draft choice.
NBA: New York Knicks
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am expecting is hope for 2012. It doesn't have to be in the form of a winning record or playoff appearance. More so that I see that the players touch the edges of what they are capable of doing. Its doubtful that all 53 player will be meshing together at the same time but more like in brief spurts.

Something that shows tomorrow is going to be even better than today.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
This is why the sensible and practical part of my brain wanted Matt Moore to be introduced as the starter under the premise of Tannyhill using this season to view NFL QB play from the sidelines. This way we could have a record that reflected our talent without the Matt Barkley clamoring.

If that scenario where to play out. I'd have to analyze that draft. Because if there's a game changing playmaker available, I would have a hard time trading out of that pick.

That said .... our number one problem is that only 2 of our offensive linemen possess the size / skillset combination to play this style of offense. The scary part of that is one of them is Jonathan Martin. Still waiting for someone to tell me the value of a huge mauler in this offense.

Are you saying that Jonathan Martin is a mauler? He was more known for his pass protection and a finesse OL. Right now i think the game is a little fast for him. I think it's only a matter of time before Martin turns it around.

IMO Richie Incognito doesn't fit this offense. You can see that in pass protection. We are going to struggle in that all season. I think it is something we can address in mid to late rounds next draft. I think playmaker has to be our #1.

Sorry you are on your own here. I clearly said that Jonathan Martin was one of the two linemen that actually fit this system. No way do I think Jonathan Martin was a mauler. The other lineman that actually fits is the center.

JAke Long and Richie Incognito will have to make major adjustments. Nobody has the guts to trade them.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
phinmun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
JAke Long and Richie Incognito will have to make major adjustments. Nobody has the guts to trade them.

I got your point and asked about your thoughts regarding Jake Long moving forward. I think my response to you got stuck on the 1st page maybe, did you see it?

What do you think the team should do right now? Too late to move Jake Long? Would it be worth it?

What do you think?
Dolphinmeister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami has the Jets and Bills twice each, Raiders,Cards,Bengals, Rams, Colts,Titans,Seahawks and Jaguars. I think they can win 6 of those 12, lose both to the Pats and one each to the 49ers and Texans.
I hope at least 6 and 10, but more important to me then the record will be to see Tannehill grow into a true franchise QB over the season.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:

@Dolphinologist - You're point about 2 guys on the line is understood. Hopefully Martin works out. As I'm sure you were hinting, Long in fact did look bad against the Falcons. He's clearly not fit into what the team wants and that is scary considering his pending free agency. Just watching him pass-blocking really made clear that he's not accustomed to--and maybe altogether weak in--his present role. What do you think the team should do? Just let him walk next year? This is the last year of his contract, right? If that's the case, I could see him leaving without Miami getting any compensation. Ugh.

That boat may have sailed. Who's gonna trade for him knowing he'll be available for nothing? Contracts and negotiations are not an area where I am knowledgeable but, I'd have to be a running mauling man blocking team who is a LT away from making big playoff noise before i pull that trigger.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
skatewood2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now every year I do the same thing, I think we actually have a chance to be pretty good. This year is no different as I live in a Fins world with my Fins colored glasses on 24/7.

Now that I said that, I do think we have a chance to be decent this year but know that unless some major things happen there is no chance of us being a playoff caliber team. But on the flip side, I don't see us as being as bad as last season either. Last season we had a HC who loved to get FG's, a #1 WR who dropped TD's, and we could not put it together after four years of practice.

This year, I see a rookie QB, inexperienced WR's, a brand new Offense, with the majority of the O-Line that doesn't fit. But I still think we can be good. I don't see us having the #1 pick in next year's draft.

What do I want to see is our Rookie QB improve. I will not be furious about multiple INT's this season if he is improving as we go along and learning the game. I don't think he will be like PM but I don't see us as being as bad as the Colts in their first season with him either. We have a pretty good D and we do have some talent on the O. I want to see improvement over the season from both sides of the ball and that will make this season, no matter what our final record is, a successful one.

Oh, and the most important thing I want to see from this season is for Philben to get to coach his second year in Miami no matter how bad we do this season. That was the biggest failure with Cam Cameron was that he tried to install his Offense with a team that was not made up of that style of players and then not given a chance to go get those types of players to make his style work. Philben need's the chance to set the team with players that work in his system and that means he need a chance to win or lose this season.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Judson49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond brutal is my expectation.

Clubber Lang's prediction for his fight with Rocky.

At least we'll get firm confirmation of how Sean Smith handles Andre Johnson, whether he lines up on the left or the right.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:

Sorry you are on your own here. I clearly said that Jonathan Martin was one of the two linemen that actually fit this system. No way do I think Jonathan Martin was a mauler. The other lineman that actually fits is the center.

I was just asking. Wasn't sure if i read that right. The weird thing is, the right side of the OL plays bad and the left side plays well.

I think this year we need to focus more on the run. Right now, our team is tuned more for that. Than next off season maybe slowly transition more

UniversalAuthor
FOOTBALLFAN08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just hoping Tannehill / Philbin and Ireland are all gone by next season ...

I didn't give the Dolphins any real credit in my post because I wanted to agitate FOOTBALLFAN08, in the event he was still checking this thread.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOOTBALLFAN08 wrote:
Im just hoping Tannehill / Philbin and Ireland are all gone by next season ...
0% chance on Philbin and Tannehill, 50% chance on Ireland.

New HC, OC, DC.
Rookie QB
below .500 3 straight seasons
trading good players, rebuild mode
WRs can't catch a cold
I'm predicting 4-12.
SUG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one have a lot of confidence in Philbin.
Yes were looking at 4 - 6 Ws this yr but a few things about Philbin really jump out at me:

1). He knows he's not going to win a lot of gms this yr & yet he does the next best thing - trades/cuts players that
don't fit & accumulates drft pks.
2). Love the fact he wont embrace the win now mentality for the sake of building for the long haul.
2). The man knows how to identify & develop QBs.
3). Regards the value of OL.
4). Will not take any crap from any of his players.
5). is 180 degrees the anti Sporano in that he has been a OC & has been an active participant in one of the best Off & franchises in the NFL for the past 7 - 8 yrs.

sug
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the teams I think will surely defeat us:

Patriots
Patriots
49ers
Texans
Bengals

Here are teams I'm hoping we might defeat:

Raiders
Cardinals
Rams
Jaguars

If we win half those games that's 1/2 x 4 = 2 wins

Here are the teams we might compete against:

Colts
Seahawks
Titans
Bills
Bills
Jets
Jets

If we win a third of those games, that'll be about 2 more wins.

I put us at 4 wins assuming we do enough and don't fold in every close matchup we have. 3 or less wins will be disappointing, even for this squad. 5 or more will be an over-achievement I think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: